35-37 Naruse: Volume One

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Murasaki53

#151 Post by Murasaki53 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:05 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Even the best releases of these old Japanese films seem to show a little wobble here and there. Some of the older films (especially non-Toho ones) can be pretty hard to watch -- in terms of jiggling.
Thanks Michael. However, in this case it's as if the DVD is about to stick. Just for a moment you get multiple silhouettes of Setsuko Hara before it continues on its way. This happens just at the transition between two scenes.

The disc is unmarked and my DVD player usually tolerates anything. So I was left wondering if it was down to the transfer.

Tommaso

Re: 35-37 Naruse: Volume One

#152 Post by Tommaso » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:49 am

I've just rewatched "Flowing". Please forget everything I wrote about these films two years ago. I now think this is an utterly magnificent, wonderfully complex and subtle film which indeed captures the idea of life being in transition in a completely undidactic and 'accepting' way (despite of its sadness). I'm especially amazed by the way Naruse combines three different layers of sound (the shamisen music, the sewing machine, and the orchestral soundtrack) in the end in such a way that they at once express discord and concord.

I have one question though, which may have already been asked and answered somewhere, though I can't find it right now: the subtitles translate the name of Isuzu Yamada's character as Otsuta, whereas Catherine Russell's essay gives it as Tsutayako. And then we also have the obviously related 'Tsuta House'. So which version is 'correct', and how do these names relate to one another? Am I right in thinking that the prefix "O-" might stand for something like "Miss", so that Kinuyo Tanaka's 'new' name Oharu is actually just Haru? And why does Rika sound unfamiliar to the others so that she has to be given a new name in the first place?

esl

#153 Post by esl » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 am

Tommaso wrote:I've just rewatched "Flowing". Please forget everything I wrote about these films two years ago. I now think this is an utterly magnificent, wonderfully complex and subtle film which indeed captures the idea of life being in transition in a completely undidactic and 'accepting' way (despite of its sadness). I'm especially amazed by the way Naruse combines three different layers of sound (the shamisen music, the sewing machine, and the orchestral soundtrack) in the end in such a way that they at once express discord and concord.

I have one question though, which may have already been asked and answered somewhere, though I can't find it right now: the subtitles translate the name of Isuzu Yamada's character as Otsuta, whereas Catherine Russell's essay gives it as Tsutayako. And then we also have the obviously related 'Tsuta House'. So which version is 'correct', and how do these names relate to one another? Am I right in thinking that the prefix "O-" might stand for something like "Miss", so that Kinuyo Tanaka's 'new' name Oharu is actually just Haru? And why does Rika sound unfamiliar to the others so that she has to be given a new name in the first place?
First, you are forgiven.

Second, I will have to go back and watch the film to answer your question regarding Otsuta vs. Tsutayako. However, regarding the name Oharu; without seeing the actual kanji I cannot give a definitive answer, but based upon my knowledge of Japanese and Japanese names, it is more likely that the “ō” is from this kanji 大 which means big, great, large. It is very commonly used in family names and place names. Haru is most likely this kanji 春 and means Spring. The honorific “ō” is not attached to a person’s proper name; “-san” or (very formal) “-sama” after their family name would be used instead.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#154 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:39 am

I am pretty sure that that the o at the beginning of Oharu is and addition -- and that her given name was likely Haru. You find the same phenomenon in Flowing -- where Otsuta == Tsutakayo. You find the same procedure with objects -- the polite word for tea (cha) is ocha, for money (kane) okane.

I always like to think that the re-naming of Tanaka's character (to Oharu) in Flowing is a little cinematic joke (but I have not read the source story).

Tommaso

#155 Post by Tommaso » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks to both of you! In other words, Tsuta (with or without the o) is just an abbreviation of Tsutakayo.
Michael Kerpan wrote:I am pretty sure that that the o at the beginning of Oharu is and addition -- and that her given name was likely Haru.
That was my guess, too, more or less because of the Mizoguchi film (I think I remember vaguely that the main character is addressed there as Haru rather oftenand the AE disc even spells the name as O-Haru). Pretty confusing for a non-Japanese viewer in any case if you don't know about these 'polite' forms. I take it the o is only for politeness and -san/-sama for honour? The difference between the two concepts is a bit hard to understand, though.

arigato-san

#156 Post by arigato-san » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Otsuta seems a likely nickname for someone named Tsutayako. Calling people's names with O- in front of the name is something of past times. People who still use it were likely born in the beginning of the 20th century.

O in front of the name can be used for politeness and friendliness. Imagine two Japanese housewives having a conversation in an old Japanese film and one calling the other Oharu-san. Here it can also function as a sign friendliness. This seems the more likely reason in the context of Flowing because Oharu is only a geiko, and not a rank that deserves extra politeness or honour.

-San is used for people who are older than you or higher in function. Schoolkids in Japan who are talking to someone in a higher grade are expected to use it. At the same time the one on the older student can address the younger student with -chan. -Sama is for even more formality. It's not used that much nowadays, but for example if you're in a plane in Japan the stewardesses address the people in the plane as minna-sama, where minna means everybody. Then there's also -kun, which can be used for kids, people you've known since you were a child, family and even colleagues at work. (but is only used for men, women in this case are normally called -chan)

So there's not really any strict rules, but a lot of unwritten rules, and a lot of exceptions. Sometimes the choice is purely because of the sound. Like my girlfriend calls her cousin Taku-chan, (his name is Takuya) only because Taku-kun doesn't roll of the tongue easily, and sounds strange.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#157 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 pm

arigato-san wrote:This seems the more likely reason in the context of Flowing because Oharu is only a geiko, and not a rank that deserves extra politeness or honour.
Actually Oharu is just an employee (sort of a maid-housekeeper).

arigato-san

#158 Post by arigato-san » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:
arigato-san wrote:This seems the more likely reason in the context of Flowing because Oharu is only a geiko, and not a rank that deserves extra politeness or honour.
Actually Oharu is just an employee (sort of a maid-housekeeper).
Oh, you're right. I must have mixed up characters. But the reason should be the same.

Ben Cheshire

#159 Post by Ben Cheshire » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 pm

Voume One, eh? Interesting... One of... Two? Nick?

GringoTex

#160 Post by GringoTex » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:05 am

Ben Cheshire wrote:Voume One, eh? Interesting... One of... Two? Nick?
You can't ask about Vol. 2 unless you bought Vol. 1.

I still consider Vol.1 my greatest dvd purchase ever.

Ben Cheshire

#161 Post by Ben Cheshire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:42 am

GringoTex wrote:
Ben Cheshire wrote:Voume One, eh? Interesting... One of... Two? Nick?
You can't ask about Vol. 2 unless you bought Vol. 1.

I still consider Vol.1 my greatest dvd purchase ever.
I heard about that rule, that's the only reason why I bought Vol 1.

hangman

#162 Post by hangman » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Well the answer to that questions is in the thread, and in the downloadable catalogue of MoC. Meaning its in the pipeline for some time but as for any release of it is up in the air but not soon, as the release date of the first set would indicate, just as everyone hankers for Criterion or BFI to release more Naruse. So if you were impressed by this set better get the BFI boxset, as that compliments this release well and just think of it as volume 2.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#163 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:10 pm

If MOC eventually releases some stand alone Naruse discs, you'll just have to make your own box. (I sobbed a while when I realized that no Volume 2 would be forthcoming). Volume 1 remains one of my favorite box sets ever.

MichaelB

#164 Post by MichaelB » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:06 am

hangman wrote:just as everyone hankers for Criterion or BFI to release more Naruse.
If only that were true, we'd have had umpteen boxes by now...

hangman

#165 Post by hangman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm

MichaelB wrote:
hangman wrote:just as everyone hankers for Criterion or BFI to release more Naruse.
If only that were true, we'd have had umpteen boxes by now...
I was referring mostly to the ones who bought the sets from MoC and BFI, along with When a Woman Ascends the Stairs from Criterion. I guess put another way generally people who actually gave Naruse a shot wants more of his output, especially given how much films he made, similar to wanting more Shimizu after you watch his films (either from the Japanese boxset or the Eclipse). A bit off topic I wonder if any company in region 2 is planning any Shimizu releases.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#166 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:31 pm

I'm sure Toho would have released more than 12 Naruse films in Japan if there had been a strong enough demand. Clearly there wasn't. Ditto Shochiku and Shimizu. Shochiku had planned to issue at least four box sets -- obviously vols. 1 and 2 did not sell well enough to warrant continuation of the series. It is disappointing -- even heartbreaking -- that not enough people are willing to buy up releases of one's favorite directors. But....

...shikata ga nai (it can't be helped -- so why worry about it).

manicsounds

#167 Post by manicsounds » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:41 pm

It's because Japan is doing everything wrong in sales, promotion, and exposure of these pieces.

First off in sales, uber-expensive. The average film fan will not shell out Y30,000 for a boxset of 5 old films. Now, price boxsets under Y10,000, and they should see a surge.

But then again, promotion. Old Japanese films are only being pushed to a niche market or the elderly market. They are not doing a good job preserving interest as say other countries have. It's shocking how many Japanese people are clueless on things that even came out 10 years ago, let alone 50. TV and media over in Japan are moving forward only, and the word "Rerun" is rarely used in television over here. Get the younger generation to grow up with older films and expose them to it, or there is no knowledge left.

More Naruse would always be awesome. A few weeks ago, had a short conversation about Naruse with someone. The man was French, not Japanese, what a surprise.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#168 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:47 pm

My recollection is that the Ozu, Shimizu and Naruse sets were all quite reasonably priced by Japanese standards -- especially if pre-ordered from Amazon Japan.

manicsounds

#169 Post by manicsounds » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:quite reasonably priced by Japanese standards
Ya, but this is where the standards have to be changed.
Recently, Japan has been finally changing their pricing policy on new Blurays, where new releases are quite reasonable, nearly the cost of American counterparts. But this is from the major International studios. Toho, Shochiku, etc have to get their act together and start lowering the costs of DVDs and BDs, but not lowering their quality.

Sanjuro

#170 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:51 am

And there does appear to be demand for Naruse's movies in Japan.
Nihon Eiga Senmon Channel wouldn't have made 'Mikio Naruse Theatre' a regular monthly feature if there was nobody watching, would they?
(I'd mention what's on this month, but I might make Michael jealous again. Mmmm HD Naruse...)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#171 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 am

Well, I just found my copy of the (non-HD) broadcast of Kuchizuke -- the last Naruse film I have yet to see. Alas, no likelihood of seeing any HD Naruse any time soon. Naruse's availability on TV may explain the lack of additional DVD (or BRD) releases.

Sanjuro

#172 Post by Sanjuro » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:58 am

manicsounds wrote:
Michael Kerpan wrote:quite reasonably priced by Japanese standards
Ya, but this is where the standards have to be changed.
Recently, Japan has been finally changing their pricing policy on new Blurays, where new releases are quite reasonable, nearly the cost of American counterparts. But this is from the major International studios. Toho, Shochiku, etc have to get their act together and start lowering the costs of DVDs and BDs, but not lowering their quality.
Of course, the fact that many of these are available in identical versions complete with Japanese menus and subtitles in Region A from America at a much lower cost may have something to do with it. Hopefully we'll see a similar situation as with CDs soon. Do you get the expensive Japanese version or wait three days and get the much cheaper US import sitting on the shelf next to it?

Had an amusing time with one of my Blu-Ray rentals the other day, my player is set to English Menu by default and I spent a good half hour trying to figure out how to get the Japanese subtitles on. Have set the player to default to Japanese just in case my wife ever tries to watch anything...

knives

Re:

#173 Post by knives » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:54 am

GringoTex wrote:Naruse could confront abortion, homosexuality, divorce, and prostitution completely openly.
What films did he confront abortion and Homosexuality? Are they from this boxset?
Broke open the set with Flowing which came across as an epic at home. The richness of character seems to break film itself. Each connection is like a hundred year tree in its layers. Of these my favorite is the one between the maid and Sugimura. I realize that's far from the meat of the film, but it just hints this perfect note for me. Actually the whole being of the maid did this for me. I don't think I've seen the actress before, but her performance is so complete. Even just the way she fidgets about awkwardly seems to give this whole past to her.
I really can't help but relate it to Late Chrysanthemums. They tackle similar characters (with similar problems) during a similar period in Naruse's career, but they manage to be so different. That road trip at home seemed to have, not weight, but urgency to it that this film almost doesn't want. Even when things go to hell at the end there's this basic glee that fills the frame. The film had me laughing even as these people were essentially edging a living death. It wasn't a laugh of humour or relief though, just simple joy.
Flowing just made managed to be so elegant that I could fall for it immediately, yet so complex that I'll probably find something new no matter how many times I view it.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#174 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 am

The maid in Flowing -- Kinuyo Tanaka (Life of Oharu, Ugetsu, Sansho, Equinox Flower -- among countless other starring roles). I presume you just didn't recognize her here.

knives

#175 Post by knives » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:07 pm

That is quite the number of films. I guess she does have this plainness that allows her to just fall into her roles. Might have to be more conscious of her now after such an amazing turn.