1 / BD 1 Sunrise

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
zone_resident

Re: 1 Sunrise

#176 Post by zone_resident » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:52 am

DVD Times on 2-disc SD-DVD release

HarryLong

#177 Post by HarryLong » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:28 am

And that robot? my god, is that really from a 1920's film? Looks more like a parody of a bad 50's film.
Ha! Not really any worse than those tin fedora robots in that Gene Autry serial. But it's no Tobor or Robby ...

manicsounds

#178 Post by manicsounds » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 am

Restored Serials wrote:Thank you for the postings on our Restored “Man From Beyond” and setting the record straight. Yes, we did restore it 3 times.
This gives me the opportunity to comment on Silent Era’s review of our 2007 version.
Mr. Bennett crucified us for not using a new transfer of “Man From Beyond.” Yet he gave the highest praise to Kino for using old transfers of two of Houdini’s Movies on their box set!
It's getting offtopic from Sunrise, but have you contacted Silent Era and tell them to set the record straight about it?

Restored Serials

#179 Post by Restored Serials » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:59 am

I emailed Mr. Bennett after he wrote the 2007 Review and after we released our 2008 Houdini. He never replied to either email. He has not updated the 2007 Review of our product nor acknowledged that we released "Man From Beyond" on Blu-ray. Mr. Bennett has also failed to recognize/or admit that Kino's "Master Mystery" and "Terror Island" are allegedly old analog transfers.

Restored Serials

#180 Post by Restored Serials » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Mr. Bennett has alleged we are video pirates, which we are not. What Mr. Bennett needs to do is call Debra Feinerman at Paramount's legal Department and ask her about Kino's "permission" to use "Terror Island." If Kino, used The Library of Congress print, Ms. Feinerman will tell him (what she told me) that no recent permission has been granted nor any new transfers in about 10 years. When we tried to lease "Terror Island" from Paramount (at the beginning of 2009), Ms. Feinerman told me due to "legal reasons" they are not granting permission for any use.

Ben Cheshire

#181 Post by Ben Cheshire » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:45 am

Oh my god! My copy arrived today, and I have six hours of work before I can view it. The packaging is simply stunning. The booklet features original artwork reproductions and such class as I've rarely seen before. I've only ever had one other MoC item, being over in Australia, the British Pound + shipping costs usually discourages, it was the Buster Keaton Collection, but now after this splendid new Blu Ray package, which from reviews looks incredible (particularly the Czech version... But you've got to have both) I'm converted to MoC for life!

Cash Flagg

#182 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:26 pm

peerpee wrote:We're putting all the articles online instead, it was getting silly at 120-pages.
Nick, any idea when/where these articles will be available?

peerpee
not perpee

#183 Post by peerpee » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Bottom of the SPECIAL FEATURES column on the left: http://eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/sunrise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cash Flagg

#184 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Silly me not scrolling down. Thanks.

Ben Cheshire

#185 Post by Ben Cheshire » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 pm

Best. Blu. Ever.

T99

#186 Post by T99 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:13 am

I think the two screenplays work well as digital supplements, since only the hardcore Murnau fans will read them. Still I would have hoped that Dudley Andrew's text would have been included in the booklet.

Anyway, I guess it's just useless complaining anymore at this point...

so lightly here

#187 Post by so lightly here » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Am I missing a line on the MOC site for Sunrise BR that says it is region 0? I did buy it from Amazon.uk because everyone here is saying it is region 0 (just like I bought Contempt - which has shipped but not arrived). I really wish these official websites would clearly include important tidbits like that - would sure help sales in the US for people who don't have a vast army of people how find out about these things. Not all of us have region free BR players for god's sake.

Feego

#188 Post by Feego » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:32 pm

DVDBeaver is a good source for this information. Their review of the "Sunrise" Blu-ray confirmed that it is region free. According to their site, however (they haven't reviewed it), the "Contempt" Blu-ray is locked for Region B, and therefore will not play on US players.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like "Contempt" is region free after all (I haven't been paying much attention to the Optimum threads as I initially thought these were Region B. Yeah, you're right. It would be fantastic if the actual MoC, Optimum, etc. sites listed the region coding.

Florinaldo

#189 Post by Florinaldo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:07 pm

peerpee wrote:Bottom of the SPECIAL FEATURES column on the left: http://eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/sunrise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was looking for that link yesterday and it was not apparent enough for me (I must be getting older than I thought!) without this hint which I saw this morning. Suggestion: could you make it a little more visible for the visually challenged people like me? The screenplays woudl have been a bit much for a booklet, but are a great addition for us harcdore film geeks. The Andrews essay looks very interesting, even if the customer has to print it himself and then find a way to keep it clean and sharp (a plastic sleeve should do it).

I received the disc this morning and had time to have a quick look at it before going to work. The Czech version does indeed look stunning, but something was fishy about the aspect ratio, as the image looked much too squeezed on each side on my widescreen TV, especially when compared to the sample provided a the end of the booklet. It's the first BR I have experienced this with. I will have to fiddle with some settings when I get back home, with some screen captures from Beaver and other sources to guide me.

Anyone else had this problem upon first loading the disc?

Looks like a real contender for BR of the year, nay of the century!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#190 Post by cdnchris » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 pm

I know how you feel. I ordered it from amazon.co.uk and most things I order from there takes four days, which is completely bizarre. It shipped the Saturday before it was released and over a week later I haven't received it yet. Getting a little fidgety.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#191 Post by cdnchris » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Aggggh! You're freaking me out, man but I'm still hoping I'll have it tomorrow.

Feego

#192 Post by Feego » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:59 am

Hmm, mine also shipped the Saturday before it was released and arrived last Friday.

Florinaldo

#193 Post by Florinaldo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:44 am

cdnchris wrote:I know how you feel. I ordered it from amazon.co.uk and most things I order from there takes four days, which is completely bizarre. It shipped the Saturday before it was released and over a week later I haven't received it yet. Getting a little fidgety.
My copy arrived yesterday, while another title came in the day before on Monday. They were both shipped on the 20th. Usually it takes 4 or 5 days to make it over here to Canada as you say, but a few days more is not unheard of. And remember that although they usually sail through customs without any problem, once in a while the authorities decide to intercept one and slap duties on it, which may also delay delivery by a day or two.

Arn777

#194 Post by Arn777 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:03 am

That cute little piggy has never looked so good than in this Czech 1080p version! Well done MOC, great job!

MichaelB

#195 Post by MichaelB » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:19 am

Feego wrote:DVDBeaver is a good source for this information. Their review of the "Sunrise" Blu-ray confirmed that it is region free. According to their site, however (they haven't reviewed it), the "Contempt" Blu-ray is locked for Region B, and therefore will not play on US players.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like "Contempt" is region free after all (I haven't been paying much attention to the Optimum threads as I initially thought these were Region B. Yeah, you're right. It would be fantastic if the actual MoC, Optimum, etc. sites listed the region coding.
DVD Beaver isn't reliable - they wrongly called Winstanley as Region B a few months ago. It turned out that the checkdisc was mistakenly coded for Region B while the retail version was region-free - but Gary didn't make it clear that he wasn't reviewing the full retail version until I asked him.

As for the Optimum discs, my understanding is that they're Region A/B, not region-free. But I also understand that all the extras are in 480p, so should be compatible with all US and European players.

Fierias

#196 Post by Fierias » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 pm

As someone who has never seen either cut of Sunrise, and now holds the MoC blu-ray in his hands, I'd like to know which version to watch first. Any help?

Fierias

#197 Post by Fierias » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:00 am

Czech cut won the coin flip. But seriously, there's nothing substantial missing in those 14 detached minutes?

Feego

#198 Post by Feego » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:09 am

Definitely watch the Movietone version first. There are several bits and actions (and in at least one case, even a character) that are missing from the Czech version. Also, because Fox edited the Movietone score for the Czech version, the music expectedly doesn't flow as smoothly. While the image quality is breathtaking, I view the Czech version more as a curiosity than as a good alternative to the Movietone. It just doesn't feel complete, and as a consequence, is not as moving.

This thread on the IMDb highlights several differences between the two versions and includes screenshots. The posters discuss several plot details, though, so don't read it until after you have seen the movie.

NeoF

#199 Post by NeoF » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 pm

I ordered my copy yesterday from Amazon.uk and I got an email a couple of hours ago telling me that it has already shipped. Anxiously waiting to have it in my hands. It is my first Blu-ray movie ever.

Nick, what do you mean exactly by: "Yes, as far as we can work out, our edition of SUNRISE is the first silent feature film released on Blu-ray"

manicsounds

#200 Post by manicsounds » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:25 am

NeoF wrote:"Yes, as far as we can work out, our edition of SUNRISE is the first silent feature film released on Blu-ray"
meaning, if there is some company in some other country that released one and slipped under everyone's radar completely, then it's "as far as we can work out".