BD 280 Pandora's Box

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Stefan Andersson

Re: BD 280 Pandora's Box

#26 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:54 pm

Digital restoration mistakes:
"When Lulu stuffs some money into the meter reader’s hand, he is so distracted that he lets two coins drop onto the carpet and doesn’t even realize it. The digital clean-up software registered those two falling coins as defects and erased them. So we do not see anything fall out of his hand."

"Also, as with so many editions dating all the way back to the December 1929 Manhattan première, the name Alice Roberte continues to be misspelled Alice Roberts."

Source: https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30

Roscoe

#27 Post by Roscoe » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:48 am

There's also a moment where an important bit of information goes untranslated in the English subtitles. The Marquis Casti-Piani recognizes Lulu on the train, and finds a newspaper photo of Lulu with the words REWARD in the headline above it. He writes something along the lines of "Received With Thanks, Casti-Piani" above the headline, and hands it to Alwa, who reacts, and so on.

The English subtitle for that shot of the handwritten words above the headline only translates the word REWARD, not the handwritten note above it. I had to check the Criterion DVD to make sure I was remembering it correctly.

I'm coming to prefer the look of the older Criterion DVD, scratches and blemishes and hairs in the gate and all. Those gorgeous inky blacks and grays hit my eyes more pleasurably than the sepia wash someone decided to smear over the image.

Maltic

#28 Post by Maltic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 pm

It now says "50 in stock". I hadn't noticed before they publish these numbers on the site.

Presumably it means there's 50 left of the 3000 LE copies.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#29 Post by tenia » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:30 am

They slightly updated their website and now, it displays the number of remaining copies (for Eureka's website) once it reaches a certain low level (somewhere between 100 and 200 copies, it seems).
The relevant titles are also then popping up in the "Low stocn alert" in the Offers page, though this one isn't in at the moment.