BD 274-276 Andrzej Żuławski: Three Films

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
therewillbeblus

Re: BD 274-276 Andrzej Żuławski: Three Films

#76 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pm

bfletcher wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:30 pm
OrbitDVD got stock of the set today (Thurs Oct 12)

Still available as I type this…

https://www.orbitdvd.com/products/andrz ... n-region-b
Marked up considerably, but better than nothing

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#77 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:10 pm

It's $10 more than I paid to pre-order it from Orbit

Maltic

#78 Post by Maltic » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:20 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:00 pm
They'll probably eventually put out separate releases without a book, like they just did for the Joseph Kuo set
Or keep it it in one box, as with the Keaton sets and Project A I and II?

In any case, yeah, I don't know that they ever failed to release a standard edition once an LE had sold out.

Luke M

#79 Post by Luke M » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:27 pm

bfletcher wrote:OrbitDVD got stock of the set today (Thurs Oct 12)

Still available as I type this…

https://www.orbitdvd.com/products/andrz ... n-region-b
Thanks for this post. My copy arrived today and now Orbit is sold out.

Finch

#80 Post by Finch » Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:50 pm

Amazon says On the Silver Globe is getting its own release in February, with The Third Part of the Night and The Devil being the second standalone release. Would be funny if they revamped the covers as they did with the Police Story reissues and used the Polish posters.

TMDaines

#81 Post by TMDaines » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:08 am

Looks like literally only miss out on the box if you go for the standalone releases. Possibly all the written material will be split across the two releases.

AidanKing

#82 Post by AidanKing » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:05 pm

Interesting that the reissue has a 15 certificate while the original release was supposedly classified at 18. There won't be anything cut on the reissue of course: it probably means that Eureka were understandably expecting an 18 certificate from the BBFC and were surprised when the films were actually given 15 certificates.

MichaelB

#83 Post by MichaelB » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:16 pm

The original release is sitting in front of me, and also has a 15 on the box.

What almost certainly happened is that they stuck an 18 on the artwork that they initially unveiled (based on what you rightly say was an entirely reasonable assumption) and then modified it when the BBFC's verdict came in.

Mr Sausage

#84 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:23 am

Having now watched two of Zulawski's French films, The Most Important Thing: Love and Mad Love, I have the suspicion France just wasn't the right place for Zulawski artistically. I mean, it was the only place he could work and make art films, but, artistically, something's missing. I think it's that Zulawski works better in an apocalyptic mode, and France doesn't have an apocalyptic tradition, at least not like eastern Europe or even Germany. Hence these films about petty thieves, decadence, and l'amour fou. Movies like The Devil or On the Silver Globe ascend to visionary heights; they're mad, but they're grasping at something beyond, pushing towards abstractions. Even The Third Part of the Night, which is less grasping, takes place in a world coming apart at the seams. But Mad Love? It's mad for sure, but it's all in a recognizable social reality into which, however crazed the behaviour, nothing visionary or metaphysical will intrude. It's a burlesque of the gangster action film. And The Most Important Thing: Love is reigned in, Zulawski's attempt to make a specifically French film. Perhaps in the end, tho' the French find love all encompassing, for Zulawski it's not a visionary space. The end of love, for sure: Possession is about the death of a relationship as a private apocalypse that seems eventually to become public. Mad Love approaches this--it does seem that love has driven everyone to unrestrained anarchy, a desire to burn down everything--but because it's all within the familiar context of gangsters and organized crime, with young actors who act even younger, it has trouble reaching that same metaphysical quality. It's less apocalyptic than fatalistic like many French crime dramas. Like Zulawski is heightening more prosaic material rather than existing at the extremes of life and death.

Even at his wildest, Zulawski seems unable to overcome French refinement and taste. Zulawski seems to thrive in an atmosphere more solid, rough, earthy. Not as much in chateaus or Parisian apartments, with their drawing rooms and small kitchens. Even the acting in these two French movies is less expressive, less like the interpretive dance the three early Polish films and Possession aspire to. But, again, these are only two films. Maybe his other French films will give the lie to everything I've said. The above is just my attempt to account for why I felt less engaged with them when Possession and the three early Polish films captured me so intensely.

MichaelB

#85 Post by MichaelB » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:49 pm

It's pretty clear that Żuławski would have preferred to stay in Poland - despite his second feature The Devil being banned outright (and ultimately for sixteen years) and his third feature The Most Important Thing: Love being a gargantuan blockbuster in France (albeit, interestingly, not elsewhere; it didn't even open in the UK), he initially opted not to carry on making films in France and return to Poland, and it was only when On the Silver Globe was humiliatingly cancelled before production had ended that he realised that there was no future for him there, at least under the Communist government.

But he kept getting drawn back to Polish and/or Slavic subjects, be they Boris Godunov, the life of Chopin (The Blue Note) or a novel by Witold Gombrowicz (Cosmos, plus of course the all-Polish Szamanka, so it's safe to assume that that's where his heart always lay.

criterionsnob

#86 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:54 am

MOC are rereleasing On the Silver Globe as a standalone, with a much nicer cover.

DeprongMori

#87 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:35 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:54 am
MOC are rereleasing On the Silver Globe as a standalone, with a much nicer cover.
Do we know whether the standalone On the Silver Globe includes a booklet?

(It seems that it does come with a booklet.)

beamish14

#88 Post by beamish14 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:58 pm

criterionsnob wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:54 am

I have this Polish one-sheeted framed in my office. I had intended to ask Zulawski to sign it when he came to the Los Angeles stop for his North American retrospective, but he never made it to the States