BD 124 Day of the Outlaw

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

Re: BD 124 Day of the Outlaw

#26 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:23 am

I wouldn't call it an adventurous release, either, but its one of my favorite 50s westerns and I'm glad I don't have to buy a Kino of it. That it is the Blu-ray debut of the film, in any case, makes it more desirable than The Quiet Man, Stalag 17, Shoah, The Offence, Satyricon, Seconds, Shane, Man of the West, Letters to Three Wives, Wild River...a huge percentage of this year's release slate.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#27 Post by swo17 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:57 am

Point taken, though I wouldn't lump Shoah in that category. That might be their best release this year.

I am planning to upgrade this title, so if anyone is feeling "adventurous," drop by my half.com store where the MGM DVD can be yours for like 5 bucks.

pistolwink

#28 Post by pistolwink » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 pm

I hope the terrible promotional copy doesn't stop people from seeing this incredible movie. It's one of my favorite westerns.

rapta

#29 Post by rapta » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:07 pm

swo17 wrote:
rapta wrote:gaffs
The word is giraffes.
G'affes?

(Sorry, I forgot the 'e' in gaffe...thought it looked funny when I typed it)

Anyway, I'm sure this is a pretty obscure Western compared to some of their recent Western releases...and they shouldn't exactly feel shamed for that. It sounds interesting enough for me to put on my want-list, even if I may not buy it on Day One. Though by the sounds of it, they could've released it as part of Eureka Classics, couldn't they? I mean Violent Saturday was, even though I think (and many others agree) that it was worthy of being an MoC title.

That said, I'm now itching to find out what the other December titles are. A bit strange they seemed to announce this almost as an 'apology' for delaying Dragon Inn...I was hoping for a scheduled time-and-date announcement like their last one (i.e. something to look forward to).

Brevity

#30 Post by Brevity » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:32 am

French New Wave aside, Aki Kaurismäki had carte blanche to show I think eight or ten films on Finnish tv some years back, and this was one of the more obscure ones he selected.

rapta

#31 Post by rapta » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:35 pm

Updated specs from the Eureka site:
  • High-definition 1080p presentation of the film on the Blu-ray
  • Video appreciation by filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Isolated music and effects track
  • Double-sided sleeve featuring alternate artwork
  • 32-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a new essay by critic Glenn Kenny, a 1994 interview with De Toth, the films original press book, illustrated with archival imagery

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:38 pm

They do appear to have changed the copy in their description to address the issues brought up earlier in this thread:
Revered by the likes of Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino, the great director Andre de Toth made some of the most gripping and unusual American films of the 1950s, and Day of the Outlaw stands as one of his finest.

Robert Ryan plays the ruthless cattleman Blaise Starrett who rides into the small, snowbound town of Bitters to settle a feud with homesteader Hal Crane (Alan Marshal) over access to land, with one eye on rekindling a past love affair with Crane's wife Helen (Tina Stuart). But once a band of brutal outlaws, led by the notorious Captain Jack Bruhn (Burl Ives), enters and takes the townspeople hostage, the situation becomes a powder keg ready to blow.

Set against extraordinary winter landscapes, this jagged, tightly-coiled Western is a riveting examination of shifting morals amid desperate circumstances, featuring brilliant performances and exemplary filmmaking. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film in a Dual-Format edition for the first time in the UK.

Watch what happens to the woman... Watch The West explode!

FrauBlucher

#33 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#34 Post by tenia » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:53 am

Might be Gary's caps, but it doesn't look than nothing more than a decent pre-existing master.