BD 122 Seconds

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

BD 122 Seconds

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Coming Oct 26

To the enigmatic question Who are SECONDS?, the film's original poster responded: The answer is almost too terrifying for words.... The story of a man who buys for himself a totally new life. A man who lives the age-old dream If only I could live my life all over again.

John Frankenheimer directs Rock Hudson as a second: that is, the newly plastic-surgery altered reboot of, in this instance, a listless banker named Arthur Hamilton. Such procedures are carried out by a secret organization known only as The Company, with the promise of giving an individual a chance at making a fresh start at life... but at what cost?

Master lighting cameraman James Wong Howe provides the paranoiac atmosphere to the skewed reality of what came to be widely considered one of Frankenheimer's very best films. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Seconds on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK for the first time.

Who are seconds? Where are seconds? Seconds might be all around you. Even Now!

A second chance to live. A second chance to die

SPECIAL FEATURES including:

• Gorgeous restoration from a 4K transfer, in 1080p HD on the Blu-ray
• Two Feature-length audio commentaries: one by director John Frankenheimer, and one by film scholar Adrian Martin
• New video interview with novelist and critic Kim Newman
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
• Original theatrical trailer
• Booklet featuring new essays by critics David Cairns and Mike Sutton

rapta

Re: Forthcoming: Seconds

#2 Post by rapta » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:58 pm

domino harvey wrote:Adrian Martin has confirmed to one of our members that Seconds will be coming from Masters of Cinema with a new commentary by Martin
Excellent! Was hoping they'd pick this one up...and was anticipating one or two upcoming titles. Wonder if this will be a September or October title.

Anyway, great stuff - more Frankenheimer! I thought Arrow might release another after The Manchurian Candidate and The Train, but glad to see Eureka managed to get hold of one (seeing as they have a Paramount deal...not for much longer though I'm guessing). Fingers crossed for Black Sunday as well (another Paramount title), or one day probably his most notorious: Birdman of Alcatraz.

EDIT: Amazon listing is up, and this is due for release on October 26th as a Dual Format Edition :D

NABOB OF NOWHERE

Re: Forthcoming: Seconds

#3 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 pm

rapta wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Adrian Martin has confirmed to one of our members that Seconds will be coming from Masters of Cinema with a new commentary by Martin
Excellent! Was hoping they'd pick this one up...and was anticipating one or two upcoming titles. Wonder if this will be a September or October title.

Anyway, great stuff - more Frankenheimer! I thought Arrow might release another after The Manchurian Candidate and The Train, but glad to see Eureka managed to get hold of one (seeing as they have a Paramount deal...not for much longer though I'm guessing). Fingers crossed for Black Sunday as well (another Paramount title), or one day probably his most notorious: Birdman of Alcatraz.

EDIT: Amazon listing is up, and this is due for release on October 26th as a Dual Format Edition :D
Right enough the Amazon listing confirms both the Frankenheimer commentary (presumably the same as the Criterion) and the Adrian Martin one. Come on you Martinis razzle-dazzle those pom-poms and shake a tailfeather!

cana7cl

Re: BD 122 Seconds

#4 Post by cana7cl » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

From Amazon:

SPECIAL FEATURES including:
Gorgeous restoration from a 4K transfer, in 1080p HD on the Blu-ray
Two Feature-length audio commentaries: one by director John Frankenheimer, and one by film scholar Adrian Martin
New video interview with novelist and critic Kim Newman
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired
Original theatrical trailer
Booklet featuring new essays by critics David Cairns and Mike Sutton

MichaelB

Re: BD 122 Seconds

#5 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:21 am

Beaver: "Double dip territory as far as I am concerned".