BD 85 Too Late Blues

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 85 Too Late Blues

#1 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Too Late Blues

The supreme master John Cassavetes followed up his earth-shaking 1959 debut Shadows with this, his first directorial effort for a major studio. Positioned somewhere between Cassavetes' ferocious independent productions and the Hollywood fare of the early 1960s, Too Late Blues represents a glimpse at a road not taken neither by the director himself, nor by mainstream American cinema in the era of the studio system's collapse - a parallel-universe of the movies that never came to pass... except in rare instances such as Too Late Blues.

Legendary American singer Bobby Darin (of "Beyond the Sea" fame) plays the leader of a jazz band whose peripatetic performances ultimately lead him to cross paths with a singer (Stella Stevens, later of Jerry Lewis's The Nutty Professor) with whom he falls in love. Drama ensues when Darin's masculinity is thrown into question following a violent brawl, and the film lurches towards its gripping conclusion.

The critic Jonathan Rosenbaum wrote that Cassavetes' film is a portrait of "the self-laceration and other forms of emotional brought about when a footloose jazz musician decides to sell out and go commercial," that it "has moments that are indelible and heartbreaking," and that "if you care a lot about Cassavetes, you should definitely see this." The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present John Cassavetes' Too Late Blues for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK.

DUAL FORMAT RELEASE INCLUDING BLU-RAY AND DVD VERSIONS OF THE FILM

• Gorgeous high-definition 1080p presentation on the Blu-ray, progressive encode on the DVD
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• New and exclusive video discussion of the film by critic David Cairns
• 52-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a new essay by critic and scholar David Sterritt, a 1961 interview profile with John Cassavetes, an excerpt from composer David Raksin’s autobiography, and a 2007 interview with actor Stella Stevens.

chatterjees

Re: BD 85 Too Late Blues

#2 Post by chatterjees » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

So, that's all? I guess, they are probably not gonna add any more extra feature. I will probably double dip for that booklet.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 pm

So far, they only state the booklet for each new release, but I'm quite sure some of them will have on-disc video (If, for instance).

Perkins Cobb

#4 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:45 pm

Everett Chambers, the legendary Benny Flowers, is still alive. MOC should interview him (and Stella Stevens).

criterion10

#5 Post by criterion10 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:52 pm

How does this film hold up to Cassavetes' other works? I've only seen the five films included in the Criterion box set, but I loved all of them, and so I might give this a blind buy (it does seem to be better than the Oliver release).

Gregory

#6 Post by Gregory » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Eureka wrote:Too Late Blues represents a glimpse at a road not taken neither by the director himself, nor by mainstream American cinema in the era of the studio system's collapse - a parallel-universe of the movies that never came to pass... except in rare instances such as Too Late Blues.
In Cassavetes's case, it should be remembered that we mainly have Stanley Kramer to thank for that, as he used his enormous influence in Hollywood to wreck Cassavetes's career as retaliation for their conflict over the editing of A Child Is Waiting. I hope I don't raise any hackles for saying that about Kramer; I know he's a big favorite on this forum!

Props55

#7 Post by Props55 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reminder Gregory. You know, every time I start to get somewhat warm and fuzzy re Kramer I'm brought up short by his treatment of Cassavettes. And Hubert Cornfield. And Val Lewton. I'm I forgetting anyone else?

knives

#8 Post by knives » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:09 pm

You forgot Carl Foreman for whom only Gary Cooper defended. As to this film itself (as questioned by criterion10) it is a really fascinating meta-exercise on the cost of working in the mainstream while aiming for personal projects. It's not his best film, but I still recommend it to all fans.

manicsounds

#9 Post by manicsounds » Tue May 13, 2014 8:07 am

Eureka wrote:This fully stacked edition will be the first blu-ray release anywhere in the world for the film and will be available in a Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition as part of Eureka’s award-winning The Masters of Cinema Series.

EddieLarkin

#10 Post by EddieLarkin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 am

C'mon guys, the American release has been available for over 2 years!

manicsounds

#11 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:05 am

specs up
• Gorgeous high-definition 1080p presentation on the Blu-ray, progressive encode on the DVD
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• New and exclusive video discussion of the film by critic David Cairns
• 52-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a new essay by critic and scholar David Sterritt, a 1961 interview profile with John Cassavetes, an excerpt from composer David Raksin’s autobiography, and a 2007
interview with actor Stella Stevens.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:09 am

I guess it's a very long video discussion, because otherwise I don't see where it's fully stacked. :|

manicsounds

#13 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am

manicsounds

#14 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:28 pm