121 Trouble in Paradise

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: 121 Trouble in Paradise

#26 Post by swo17 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Tommaso wrote:Basically, yes, but a complete second film ("Das fidele Gefängnis") is more than just an extra.
I tend to agree, in that I generally value bonus films--even (and sometimes especially) shorts--over any other kind of extra. Which is why, for example, I'm over the moon about BFI's upcoming release of Battleship Potemkin.

Peacock

#27 Post by Peacock » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Sure but this is kind of ridiculous... you guys seriously would prefer identical extras to previous editions you already own... to new ones? I could understand if this was a blu and the bonus film could be put in HD... But really, we all know MoC can't afford to include all the extras from other editions + adding their own... nor should we really want this as it would take away from the video file size.

For a film like Trouble in Paradise, owning two different copies isn't really a painful situation.

Tommaso

#28 Post by Tommaso » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 pm

'Course not, but in times where funds are limited, the previous edition must be able to go to ebay. I already sold my Milestone "Chess Player" in anticipation of the new Bernard box-set from France, for instance. But this is not possible for me in this case here. "Das fidele Gefängnis" is a very fine film, and it's unavailable elsewhere, so it must stay.

matrixschmatrix

#29 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm still holding out hope that Criterion will put their version out in blu at some point, but as MoC has a unique extra I won't be worried that it will be made redundant when and if that happens- so this situations works for me.

triodelover

#30 Post by triodelover » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Tommaso wrote:Basically, yes, but a complete second film ("Das fidele Gefängnis") is more than just an extra. Just imagine anyone would release an improved version of "Lonesome" (unlikely, anyhow) but without the two complete extra films on the CC edition. So the MoC "Trouble in Paradise" will never make the CC superfluous, however much the image quality is improved.
I quite agree. The Kent Jones interview is an extra, which may or may not appeal to those who love the main feature. Das fidele Gefängnis turns the CC into a double feature.
Tommaso wrote:'Course not, but in times where funds are limited, the previous edition must be able to go to ebay. I already sold my Milestone "Chess Player" in anticipation of the new Bernard box-set from France, for instance. But this is not possible for me in this case here. "Das fidele Gefängnis" is a very fine film, and it's unavailable elsewhere, so it must stay.
Another issue (which is a cumulative one) is space, particularly for those of us past retirement and looking to downsize our living space at a future point in time.

AK

#31 Post by AK » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:37 am

Saw this yesterday for the first time. What a riot, and what a brilliant film-making achievement as well. The way the camera moves, the timing of the comedy and of course the script itself... I immediately pre-ordered the MoC afterwards (saw the Criterion), and can't wait to see it again.

triodelover

#32 Post by triodelover » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Beaver refers to the MoC as "not a massive upgrade" but if the screen grabs are truly representative, I'd say that's something of an understatement. Consider the grab of Charlie Ruggles and Edward Everett Horton or the one below that of the factory entrance. Better resolution and detail and it's not particularly close. Looking forward to this one.

hearthesilence

#33 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:53 pm

I agree - watching the MoC after the Criterion is like getting new and correct prescription glasses.

Wittsdream

#34 Post by Wittsdream » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:14 pm

Not sure if anyone else was fortunate enough to watch, but TCM in the U.S. broadcast Trouble in Paradise tonight as part of its month-long Lubitsch festival, and the print shown seemed to be a significant improvement over both the Criterion DVD, and to a lesser extent the MoC DVD. Not sure if I should chalk it up to HD vs SD, but it looked superior in every respect (sharpness, black levels, contrast, etc).

I have a DVD-R of an earlier TCM broadcast of the film, and tonight's showing looked markedly better than the previous print used by TCM. It just seems strange that there is source material out there that looks better than what MoC used on its own edition issued just last month. I've owned various incarnations of this film ("Lubitsch Touch" boxset on laserdisc, Criterion DVD, TCM DVD-R of earlier print, Masters of Cinema DVD), but none were as clean as the presentation in HD on TCM this evening. And if it is just a matter of HD vs. SD, and the print used by MoC is the same source material as the TCM print used tonight, why for heaven's sake was a dual format blu-ray/dvd edition not made available if it was, in fact, "remastered in HD" according to the liner notes?

Hopefully others out there also viewed the program tonight and can share their own observations.

JonasEB

#35 Post by JonasEB » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:53 am

Wittsdream wrote:Not sure if I should chalk it up to HD vs SD, but it looked superior in every respect (sharpness, black levels, contrast, etc).
TCM HD isn't really HD, it's just an upscaled version of the channel. It mostly benefits from the increased bandwidth but they also use heavy filtering (it's very smoothed over.) From my experience with other movies on TCM HD and on my own DVDs, both from the same source, the DVD always comes out on top.

I saw a little bit - it looked like it came from the same source as both DVDs. I don't have the MOC but from screencaps I'd say it looks much better than the TCM HD showing.