BD 42 Rumble Fish

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 42 Rumble Fish

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am

Rumble Fish

Image Image

In this second of Francis Ford Coppola's back-to-back screen adaptations of novels by S. E. Hinton, the grand romanticism of The Outsiders was flipped to create an expressionist, monochrome vision of youthful passion and melancholy, and became one of Coppola's most personal and dazzling works.

Against a run-down, industrial Tulsa, Oklahoma, Coppola presents a vivid portrait of troubled teenage gang leader Rusty James (Matt Dillon) as he struggles with cohorts, rival gangs, his frustrated girlfriend Patty (Diane Lane), his estranged father (Dennis Hopper), and the return of his idolised older brother The Motorcycle Boy (Mickey Rourke).

An audacious depiction of gang violence, dead-end lives, and the ties that bind, Rumble Fish remains a cult favourite and features magnificent cinematography by Stephen H. Burum, a Golden Globe-winning score by Stewart Copeland, and a remarkable cast that also includes Nicolas Cage, Chris Penn, Tom Waits, and Laurence Fishburne. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the world-première release of Rumble Fish on Blu-ray & Blu-ray SteelBook.

SPECIAL BLU-RAY EDITION FEATURES:

• Audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
On Location in Tulsa, a video piece featuring new and vintage interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
The Percussion-Based Score, a video piece on the film's soundtrack
• Six deleted scenes
• 40-PAGE BOOKLET featuring a 1983 interview with Coppola, the film's original promotional notes, and rare archival imagery.
• Original stereo and 5.1 surround soundtracks, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio • Music and effects track
• Original theatrical trailer

Rsdio

Re: BD 42 Rumble Fish

#2 Post by Rsdio » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:14 am

Wow. Wasn't expecting this at all! As evidenced by the fact that I bought the DVD a couple of months back, I suppose. I'm sure it'll look beautiful in HD.

RossyG

#3 Post by RossyG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 am

One of those films I've always intended to see but never got around to. Looking forward to it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:26 am

Wow, this film is a masterpiece and will look insanely good on Blu-- what a fantastic left-field release

bigP

#5 Post by bigP » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am

domino harvey wrote:Wow, this film is a masterpiece and will look insanely good on Blu-- what a fantastic left-field release
Couldn't agree more. The peach of this quarters announcements for me. The Cover art is fantastic too.

HerrSchreck

#6 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:42 pm

". . .an acute sense of perception doesn't mean that you're crazy.. but it'll make you crazy."

I've paraphrased that line to people a thousand times in my life. I used to love this film a lot when I was younger, less so nowadays. Nice release, though. Totally unexpected.

Jeff

#7 Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Love this film and can't wait for the release. There should be an audio commentary by the forum's Tulsa contingent. Maybe MoC is saving that for their release of UHF.

Universal is releasing their own Blu-ray of Rumble Fish the same month, which will probably be very similar. These are the same specs as Uni's 2005 special edition DVD release, although it appears to be missing the Stewart Copland "Don't Box Me In" video. Of course the MoC with it's great cover art, isolated score and effects track, and especially the "lavish booklet featuring the words of Francis Ford Coppola, rare archival imagery, and more" will be the one to get.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#8 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:19 pm

the one to get
Surely, though it will unfortunately be Region B locked.

Calvin

#9 Post by Calvin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Can't say I've ever seen Rumble Fish but I'm going to buy it on the basis of that beautiful cover alone. It looks to be jampacked with extras too. At this point I've given up on seeing The Two Christophers and Ayamonn the Terrible - student films seem to be released very rarely.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:". . .an acute sense of perception doesn't mean that you're crazy.. but it'll make you crazy."
And of course one of the great things about this movie, and I envy those about to experience it for the first time, is that its mise-en-scene literally is insane-- this is far from the safe ground of the Outsiders adaptation! And hell, the bonkers sound design alone will be worth the Blu-ray bump

zedz

#11 Post by zedz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 pm

I must admit that this is a film I admire more than like, but I have to agree that it's a great candidate for an HD upgrade. Whether the film as a whole works for you or not, it's hard to deny that it's one of the most striking looking and sounding American films of the last several decades.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#12 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Coming from Tulsa (during the period of Hinton's books), I never recognized the place she described. ;~}

matrixschmatrix

#13 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue May 01, 2012 1:14 am

As with Silent Running, this is a movie I was vaguely aware of but never considered watching up until now- but MoC's imprimatur means a lot to me (as do the consenting voices of the commentariat here.) Might be one I wait for a price drop on, though.

manicsounds

#14 Post by manicsounds » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am

eerik

#15 Post by eerik » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 am

Those screenshots look terrible...

CSM126

#16 Post by CSM126 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:24 am

eerik wrote:Those screenshots look terrible...
That seems to be the norm for bluraydefinition reviews.

manicsounds

#17 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:30 am

Alan Smithee

#18 Post by Alan Smithee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:52 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:As with Silent Running, this is a movie I was vaguely aware of but never considered watching up until now- but MoC's imprimatur means a lot to me (as do the consenting voices of the commentariat here.) Might be one I wait for a price drop on, though.
If you've seen any of Coppola's recent output I think Rumblefish is the closest equivalent from his past work. Heavily stylized, beautifully photographed and very well acted. It's The Outsiders in a fever dream.

Der Spieler

#19 Post by Der Spieler » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:12 pm

manicsounds

#20 Post by manicsounds » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Lots of differing remarks. DVDBeaver and BlurayDefinition are very positive in picture quality, Blu-ray.com is negative. Although he hasn't reviewed it yet, the reviewer of the Blu-ray.com "Rumblefish" review also says Coppola's "The Outsiders" disc is one of the worst he's ever seen for a major title.

matrixschmatrix

#21 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm curious to see it in motion, because I don't really see anything wrong with the screenshots. Though I can't claim to have a great eye for these things.

knives

#22 Post by knives » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:00 pm

The specific shot he points to as being especially bad does seem off though I agree none seem bad.

manicsounds

#23 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:34 am

AVforums on the BD, gives the picture an ok score, but not great.

evillights

#24 Post by evillights » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Just a quick word on this —

When we first reviewed the master back in November, we thought it looked acceptable: mostly very clean, and overall quite nice — and we stand by this. DVDBeaver's assessment seems in line with our own, and the frame-grabs they've posted give a pretty accurate representation of the disc.

We're surprised at the take on the video quality of the film over at Blu-ray.com, by this Dr. Svet Atanasov — especially given the high marks he's rated the image quality on a specific few other past titles of ours which comparatively might pose greater challenges to the, shall we say, 'most discerning' assessor. — i.e., Rumble Fish ain't a bad-lookin' disc.

pro-bassoonist

#25 Post by pro-bassoonist » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm

evillights wrote:Just a quick word on this —

When we first reviewed the master back in November, we thought it looked acceptable: mostly very clean, and overall quite nice — and we stand by this. DVDBeaver's assessment seems in line with our own, and the frame-grabs they've posted give a pretty accurate representation of the disc.

We're surprised at the take on the video quality of the film over at Blu-ray.com, by this Dr. Svet Atanasov — especially given the high marks he's rated the image quality on a specific few other past titles of ours which comparatively might pose greater challenges to the, shall we say, 'most discerning' assessor. — i.e., Rumble Fish ain't a bad-lookin' disc.
I was sent a link to the above post. I would like to leave a quick comment as well.

1. First, I find the tone of your post extremely disappointing and disrespectful. Especially because I've done so much to promote the MOC label and its output. And not just by writing reviews for its releases.

2. I don't have a problem with dated masters. Unlike quite a few other reviewers, I don't automatically dismiss high-definition transfers struck from dated masters. I clearly understand that new 2K or 4K scans for various older films are not realistic in these economic conditions. There are plenty of high-definition transfers around struck from dated masters that look decent, some even quite good.

3. I also stand behind my assessment of this release. I've seen every single release MOC has produced and, in my opinion, there isn't a single high-definition transfer that is plagued with as much filtering and sharpening (the two biggest flaws here) as the one Universal Studios provided for Rumble Fish. If you truly believe that this isn't the case, I would love to hear what are the other releases that use high-definition transfers with equal amounts of sharpening and filtering.

In any event, I am very surprised by the sarcastic reaction the review received here. But I do not intend to turn this into a discussion.

Sincerely yours,
S.