BD 33 The Gospel According to Matthew

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Tommaso

Re: BD 33 The Gospel According to Matthew

#76 Post by Tommaso » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:47 am

Yes, many music dvds (especially of classical music) have uncompressed sound, and due to higher sample rate should at least theoretically sound better than their cd counterparts. Unfortunately, almost all dvd players are pretty weak in the audio department, so the theoretical advance is mostly gone in normal playback situations. Linear PCM also takes up a lot more space on the dvd than standard AC3, which is why most film dvds probably resort to compressed sound.

peerpee
not perpee

#77 Post by peerpee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 am

MichaelB wrote:
peerpee wrote:(the sound on all DVDs is heavily compressed, and akin to an MP3).
Certainly most, but not all: a tiny minority of DVDs have uncompressed PCM stereo sound.
I should have clarified "uncompressed" and quoted Neil Young on the matter! :)

colinr0380

#78 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:27 am

Isn't it the case though that while Mono tracks are uncompressed on Blu-rays, that anything larger than that, such as Stereo or 5.1, is still compressed to some extent? Albeit not as much as on DVD (with DTS seeming to be standard) and at least Mono being uncompressed is a start!

eerik

#79 Post by eerik » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 am

colinr0380 wrote:Isn't it the case though that while Mono tracks are uncompressed on Blu-rays, that anything larger than that, such as Stereo or 5.1, is still compressed to some extent? Albeit not as much as on DVD (with DTS seeming to be standard) and at least Mono being uncompressed is a start!
Not really. Blu-ray supports up to 7.1 uncompressed PCM, but most of the releases have losslessly compressed audio (either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, to save disc space for special features and bitrate for video) which should sound exactly the same as uncompressed audio.

Criterion, for instance, uses uncompressed audio for mono soundtracks and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio for anything above, while all MoC releases use DTS-HD Master Audio (which were also duplicated by Dolby TrueHD audio tracks on earlier releases).

matrixschmatrix

#80 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Regarding the movie itself- does anyone know what the Catholics' initial response to it was? The opening credits aren't translated, but they seem to imply that it won some awards from various Catholic film leagues, and I know it's a movie the Vatican embraces now- was it protested at all initially?

knives

#81 Post by knives » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Nope, it was actually made with a Catholic priest and so while there may have been some rumbling it wasn't really all that controversial in that sense. The back story (I don't know if the MOC covers this) is actually rather fascinating.

evillights

#82 Post by evillights » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:43 pm

knives wrote:Nope, it was actually made with a Catholic priest and so while there may have been some rumbling it wasn't really all that controversial in that sense. The back story (I don't know if the MOC covers this) is actually rather fascinating.
There's a nice essay by Pasquale Iannone in the booklet that goes into some depth on the production. Around the above point he writes: "In June 1963, [Pasolini] spent two weeks in Palestine scouting for locations accompanied by Don Andrea Carraro of the Pro Civitate Christiana d'Assisi. The latter not only served as a religious and historical guide but also as a barometer for Catholic tastes." — and goes on from there. Sopralluoghi in Palestina included in the release captures a fair amount of the film preparation too, and incorporates the presence of Don Andrea in the pre-production.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#83 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am

Whilst tiddling about re-arranging shelves I mused on the MOC penchant for assigning catalogue numbers to year of production - Wilders/ Ruggles etc.
33 is the year of crucifixion is it not?
Wearing a smart-arse smile and awaiting major prize until someone shoots me down in flames or points to a string of previous posts claiming the same.

peerpee
not perpee

#84 Post by peerpee » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 am

Whilst assigning titles to particular #s, I realised that a few could actually be matched up, so I did it. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it probably won't be possible to do it much more, as they hurtle out of the #50s now... but yes, there was a moment where this was done on purpose!

D50

#85 Post by D50 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:59 pm

___