Synapse Films

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
MichaelB

Re: InterFilmArt Entertainment

#151 Post by MichaelB » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 pm

But he could just as well be talking about more stuff visible at the top and bottom, surely? I don't understand why this is an argument against 1.19:1.

Moe Dickstein

Re: InterFilmArt Entertainment

#152 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:But he could just as well be talking about more stuff visible at the top and bottom, surely? I don't understand why this is an argument against 1.19:1.
I believe it's even more image all around but mostly top and bottom yes.

Class316

Re: Synapse Films

#153 Post by Class316 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Either way, do we even know 110% for a fact what the Triumph of the Will AR is supposed to be?

Moe Dickstein

#154 Post by Moe Dickstein » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm

1.19:1

Matt

#155 Post by Matt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Class316 wrote:Either way, do we even know 110% for a fact what the Triumph of the Will AR is supposed to be?
Nobody knows anything 110%.

dwk

#157 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Rock! Shock! Pop! has the first reviews of Synapse's Demons and Demons 2 Blu-rays

EddieLarkin

#158 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:30 pm

Don May wrote a huge blog post last week about the production of the Demons Blu-rays, and I was so impressed reading about their efforts that I've just handed over £74 to DiabolikDVD to have both discs shipped to the U.K. (hopefully with no customs charges; when I ordered The Opening of Misty Beethoven from them they marked it down like SAE does).

I got the Arrow Blu-ray a few months ago in preperation for this eventuality (needless to say it'll be going on ebay now, sorry Arrow!) and didn't even particular enjoy the films, but I feel this sort of work needs supporting.

You never know, maybe the superior colour timing and soundtracks will improve my experience second time around. And if Synapse ever do come out with standard releases, the Steelbooks will no doubt go for a hefty sum on ebay!

John Doe

#159 Post by John Doe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Synapse is releasing Suspiria.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 553&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dwk

#160 Post by dwk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 pm

Great news. I'm sure with Don handling this, we will get the definitive Blu-ray.

AlexHansen

#161 Post by AlexHansen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Huzzah!

dwk

#162 Post by dwk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Synapse is estimating that they'll start shipping Demons and Demons 2 on November 19th
DEMONS & DEMONS 2 Steelbook Shipping Update: We got an email from our replicator over the weekend. The discs are scheduled to be delivered to our packing facility on Friday the 8th. This means that they'll still have to inspect them all, pack them and get them ready to ship them to our offices. Once they arrive to our offices, we will be shipping them out as soon as possible. Looks like we may have them in house around the 19th. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, but at least we now have an estimated time of arrival.

dwk

#163 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:34 pm

DEMONS STEELBOOKS UPDATE: In the words of the lovely Carol Anne Freeling, "THEYYYYY'RE HEEEEEEERRRRE!" We have to inventory, and inspect and then we'll get to prepping for shipping. They will begin shipping soon, in the order in which the orders were received. BUT, it's just two of us doing the packing and shipping, so we'll work as fast as we can while still trying to accomplish other day-to-day business. Our goal is to get orders placed in May-August shipped before Thanksgiving, with orders placed in September and beyond, right after Thanksgiving. We ask that you please be patient with us while we ship these out ourselves.

Class316

#164 Post by Class316 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 am

Why doesn't the Synapse page list Triumph of the Will as coming soon on blu ray?

eerik

#165 Post by eerik » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 am

Class316 wrote:Why doesn't the Synapse page list Triumph of the Will as coming soon on blu ray?
Because they haven't officially announced it.

dwk

#166 Post by dwk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Apparently I got my order in early because my Demons and Demons 2 Blu-rays arrived today.

EddieLarkin

#167 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Synapse vs Arrow Demons and Demons 2 comparison. Don May suspects the transfers both themselves and Arrow were provided with were simply scans of the negatives, with no colour correction. The caps demonstrate nicely the lengths Synapse went to to sort this out.

dwk

#168 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:00 pm

Apparently there is a rumor that Synapse is going to release Dawn of the Dead on Blu-ray in 2014 but it isn't true. However, according to a post Don May Jr. made on the Code Red facebook group, they have been talking to Richard Rubinstein about it:
"...There seems to be a rumor going around that Synapse is indeed doing a DAWN release next year. Just setting the record straight... While it IS true that we've communicated with Richard Rubinstein about the possibility, there is nothing confirmed at this time. Right now, we do not have the title, nor are we releasing a new version of DAWN on Blu for 2014. With TENEBRE, PHENOMENA, SUSPIRIA (maybe by Christmas 2014, maybe), COUNTESS DRACULA, CURTAINS and PROM NIGHT on our plate for 2014 (along with a slew of other stuff, including one title we just got, but haven't announced officially yet), even if we DID have DAWN, it wouldn't come out until 2015."

dwk

#169 Post by dwk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:45 pm

NEW SYNAPSE FILMS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR BLU/DVD!

Buy A Bag, Go Home In A Box!

Popcorn, the 1991 cult classic starring Jill Schoelen (The Stepfather, Cutting Class), Malcolm Danare (Christine, Heaven Help Us), Dee Wallace (E.T. the Extra-terrestrial, The Frighteners, The Lords of Salem) and Tom Villard (One Crazy Summer, My Girl) is coming to Special Edition Blu-ray and DVD from Synapse Films, Inc in 2014!

This release will give fans a brand-new 2K restoration of the film, taken directly from original vault materials. Supplementary materials from Michael Felsher’s Red Shirt Pictures will round out the exciting package. While the line-up of bonus materials has not yet been finalized, it will feature a retrospective documentary on the making of and legacy of Popcorn along with more extra features currently in the planning stages.

“We are thrilled to be working closely with Kristy Jett and Red Shirt Pictures to bring Popcorn out properly. We now have some amazing materials, including the original camera negative and 35mm Interpositive materials to go through, to make sure this release is the best it can be. We just got a palette of amazing stuff we have to sort through for extras, including never before seen behind-the-scenes photos, documents, vintage interview tapes and even an alternate, never used original movie poster design that I found in the bottom of a random box,” says Donald May, Jr., President of Synapse Films.

Getting Popcorn to this point started very simply with a dedicated fan, Kristy Jett of HorrorHound Magazine, launching a Facebook page with the sole purpose of gaining momentum to encourage a distributor to re-release Popcorn. A year in, she gained the support and guidance of Michael Felsher and within the next year she had secured advocacy from Don May, Jr. and Jerry Chandler of Synapse Films. In late 2013, Synapse Films was able to finally secure the rights to the film, to bring it out properly for the fans.

“Make no mistake, this would not have happened without the support and efforts of Don May, Jr. and Jerry Chandler of Synapse. Other companies inquired over the years but Don and Jerry fought alongside me for the past two years. Without them or Michael Felsher, we would not be here.” –Kristy Jett

More details will be released in the coming months, including the release date (estimated date is Halloween 2014, but this is not confirmed). In the meantime, keep up to date on developments at Popcorn’s Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/popcornmovie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#170 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 pm

Someone could write a book tracking the contradictory stop and start label releases this thing has had in the last couple years

EddieLarkin

#171 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 pm

After more than three decades of absence from the home-video scene, the Canadian horror film CURTAINS is set to make its digital disc debut this summer, and we’ve got the first word on the complete specs plus the cover art.

Synapse Films issues CURTAINS on DVD and Blu-ray July 8, with a brand new 2K high-definition transfer from original vault materials (presented in 1.78:1 widescreen) and a 5.1 Surround remix (DTS-HD MA on the Blu-ray, Dolby Digital on the DVD). First released in 1983, CURTAINS was directed by “Jonathan Stryker,” a pseudonym (reflecting the movie’s troubled production) that’s also the name of its lead character played by John Vernon. Seeking just the right actress for his latest production, he invites a group of women to his remote mansion, where they’re joined by Samantha Sherwood (Samantha Eggar), who went so far as to get herself committed to an asylum to prepare for the part. Soon, a mysterious killer in an old-woman mask starts bumping off the hopefuls. The striking lineup of special features includes:

• Audio commentary by stars Lesleh Donaldson and Lynne Griffin
• Audio commentary by producer Peter R. Simpson
• Audio commentary by Eggar
• “The Ultimate Nightmare: The Making of CURTAINS” documentary including interviews with director Richard Ciupka, actresses Donaldson and Griffin, editor Michael MacLaverty, makeup FX creator Greg Cannom and composer Paul Zaza
• Theatrical trailer

Retail prices are $19.95 for the DVD, $24.95 for the Blu-ray.
Synapse have provided screencaps of their new transfer here (in full 2048x1152 2K resolution!). Much like Arrow, these guys have really turned themselves around over the last year.

Adam X

#172 Post by Adam X » Sat May 03, 2014 8:26 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Much like Arrow, these guys have really turned themselves around over the last year.
What are you referring to Eddie?
Synapse have always been a good, reliable label.

EddieLarkin

#173 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 pm

They seemed to have a few issues when first transitioning to Blu-ray. Messed up black levels and DNR so heavy as to delete whole actors (though this is more likely a sort of DNR glitch than anything intentional). More DNR here as well. They had some excellent early discs of course, Metzger's The Image being one that comes to mind.

Minkin

#174 Post by Minkin » Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Beaver on Countess Dracula

I really wish Synapse had access to all of the Hammer films - since they are consistently doing amazing work on each title. ...rather than Millennium Media's crappy ports of the Studio Canals (lossy audio, Aspect Ratio problems, dropped supplements, etc etc).

krnash

#175 Post by krnash » Fri May 09, 2014 2:46 am

Minkin wrote:Beaver on Countess Dracula

I really wish Synapse had access to all of the Hammer films - since they are consistently doing amazing work on each title. ...rather than Millennium Media's crappy ports of the Studio Canals (lossy audio, Aspect Ratio problems, dropped supplements, etc etc).
Millennium has taken their Millennium/Hammer Facebook page down completely after months of inactivity and no other Hammer blu-ray announcements. I wonder what this means, if anything.