VCI

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
htdm

Re: VCI

#76 Post by htdm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:26 pm

DVDTalk on Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theatre.
This looks like a must-buy.

Cash Flagg

#77 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm

A few upcoming releases:

Raoul Walsh's Sea Devils (1953) on March 30th
Dinah East (1970) on April 27th
Legend of the Witches (1969) on April 27th
No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948) on June 1st

Person

#78 Post by Person » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Hopefully, Legend of the Witches - a tremendous documentary on the history of witchcraft in Britain - will be the 113-minute cut,
not the flimsy 72-minute cut which is what is available on DVD in the UK.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#79 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Person wrote:Hopefully, Legend of the Witches - a tremendous documentary on the history of witchcraft in Britain - will be the 113-minute cut,
Is it like Haxan or an actual documentary? I recently acquired a copy of Religion and the Decline of Magic so I'd like to do more research if this film would help me.

Cash Flagg

#80 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

VCI email wrote:Yes, we are getting Legends of the Witches in April and at this time, we have 87 mins.

Cash Flagg

#81 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:02 pm

From Classic Flix:
VCI has set a June 29th release date for New York Confidential (1955). The much sought after noir stars Broderick Crawford, Richard Conte, Marilyn Maxwell, Anne Bancroft and J. Carrol Naish.

It will be presented in its original aspect ratio (1.85:1) and comes with plenty of bonus features (below).

The kill-or-be-killed world of organized crime is the focus of this hard-hitting expose from the Oscar-nominated writing team of Russell Rouse and Clarence Greene.

Broderick Crawford is the NYC mob boss dealing out death as the answer to every crisis--from a minor member of his own syndicate, to a Washington lobbyist, to his own hired killers!

BONUS FEATURES:

* Narrative commentary by Alan Rode
* Tough Customers: Crawford, Conte, Naish, Mazurki: Narrative with stills/clips about this quartet of legendary noir baddies
* Anne Bancroft, Unlikely Femme Fatale: Chronological narrative with stills on the early part of her film career as a femme fatale sexpot
* Feature on Russell Rouse, producer, director, writer, of D.O.A., The Thief, The Well, NYC, and Wicked Woman.
* Original Theatrical Trailer

Cash Flagg

#82 Post by Cash Flagg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo

#83 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:26 am

Cash Flagg wrote:Meet John Doe - 11/25
Lovely news! Is Ken Barnes any good? I've never heard of him.

Person

#84 Post by Person » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:49 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
Person wrote:Hopefully, Legend of the Witches - a tremendous documentary on the history of witchcraft in Britain - will be the 113-minute cut,
Is it like Haxan or an actual documentary? I recently acquired a copy of Religion and the Decline of Magic so I'd like to do more research if this film would help me.
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Religion and the Decline of Magic
Shaky apologies for the comically late reply! Legend of the Witches is basically a doc but it has staged rituals. In a good, ie. authentic manner. I applaud your reading of Thomas' Religion and the Decline of Magic. It's one of the most electrifying history tomes ever written, I feel. Despite the title, most witches I know love this work and I can confidendly say that magic is not in decline in 2010! Certainly not ceremonical magick. The self-same avatars are still speaking - mostly the same old asides but the more gnostic 'personalities' have been on the money, especially in regard to the coming cosmological events, ie. 2012, etc.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#85 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 am

I still haven't seen the film so better late than never! What is this 87 minute version, though? The VCI page online (as well as Amazon) say this is the running length. Is this a compromise between the 72 and 113 minutes cuts?

Jonathan S

#86 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
I wouldn't get too excited yet. I have the deleted R2 Laureate DVD, produced by Barnes and on which VCI's is said to be based. While digitally cleaned, it's disappointingly soft and uncinematic-looking, nowhere near as good as the clips in Sony's Frank Capra's American Dream documentary. And it's not encouraging when you find "The Laureate Company" digitally superimposed over Capra's opening montage.

Barnes also worked with Universal on some of their releases, including four of the Astaire-Rogers pictures (the UK editions) which I found almost unwatchably soft. One of them even had part of a scene repeated.

Cronenfly

#87 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Joseph Losey's The Prowler on February 1, 2011, and it sounds like a very nice package indeed.

AVAILABLE AT LAST ON DVD! Famed director Joseph Losey's long neglected masterpiece, scripted by legendary blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, has been restored to its original bleak splendor by the Film Noir Foundation and the UCLA Film & Television Archive. A nefarious cop stalks a lonely, repressed Los Angeles housewife and decides to win her in the traditional film noir fashion - by knocking off her husband! Bonus Features: Documentary featurette "The Cost of Living: Creating The Prowler," with James Ellroy, Christopher Trumbo, Denise Hamilton and Alan K. Rode, "Masterpiece in the Margins": Bertrand Tavernier on The Prowler, On the Prowl: Restoring The Prowler. The Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive Partnership, Photo Gallery, Audio Commentary by Film Noir Expert Eddie Muller, Original Theatrical Trailer Product Specs: DVD9; Dolby Digital 2.0; RT - 92 minutes; B&W; Aspect Ratio - 1.37:1 - 4x3; Year - 1951; SRP - $19.99

Feego

#88 Post by Feego » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 am

Jonathan S wrote:
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
I wouldn't get too excited yet. I have the deleted R2 Laureate DVD, produced by Barnes and on which VCI's is said to be based. While digitally cleaned, it's disappointingly soft and uncinematic-looking, nowhere near as good as the clips in Sony's Frank Capra's American Dream documentary. And it's not encouraging when you find "The Laureate Company" digitally superimposed over Capra's opening montage.

Barnes also worked with Universal on some of their releases, including four of the Astaire-Rogers pictures (the UK editions) which I found almost unwatchably soft. One of them even had part of a scene repeated.
Yep. Visually, it's a dud.

oldsheperd

The Prowler (Joseph Losey, 1951)

#89 Post by oldsheperd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Don't forget Ladies and Germs, The Prowler comes out on Tuesday, 2/1, in a Special Edition from VCI.

rockysds

#90 Post by rockysds » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:07 am

A blu-ray of the 1954 "Romeo and Juliet" by Renato Castellani is being released April 26.

Gregory

#91 Post by Gregory » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I'm thinking about picking up Jim McBride's Glen and Randa in the DD summer sale but am hesitating after reading in Amazon reviews that more than one person had the disc freeze up in the third chapter. Has anyone here had this problem?
EDIT: I bought the disc and fortunately didn't have this problem.
Last edited by Gregory on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSM126

Re: Blu-ray, in General

#93 Post by CSM126 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Sweet mother of God.

manicsounds

#94 Post by manicsounds » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 am

Awesome! Will go nicely with the MST3K disc, and even an audio commentary by a K Gordon Murray 'historian'? Nice touch.

manicsounds

#95 Post by manicsounds » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:51 am

On 11/1st/11 comes yet another re-re-repackaging:

A Christmas Carol - 60th Anniversary Edition BD/DVD

I still haven't gotten around to getting this movie into my collection, but I remember watching it again and again on TV back when I was a kid. The Blu-Ray had many extras missing from the 2-disc DVD edition, and this one apparently has a new Leonard Maltin introduction "And much more"

BallyhooMotionPics

#96 Post by BallyhooMotionPics » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:52 am

Greetings! My Name is Daniel Griffith. I am the documentary director/producer working on both the SANTA CLAUS blu-ray... and the features forA CHRISTMAS CAROL. Since VCI has released A CHRISTMAS CAROL before, it was a joint decision to do something completely different for this release (except for the inclusion of the audio commentary). I directed three featurettes and one hour long documentary for the release. It's my hope that fans of the film will appreciate the new edition, which contains much more background information on the film and the filmmakers.

manicsounds

#97 Post by manicsounds » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 pm

That's awesome. But does that mean the old extras, like the old 3 featurettes and the 1935 version? I'd hope so.

Feego

#98 Post by Feego » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Blu-ray.com on A Christmas Carol. It's getting great marks and appears to be a substantial improvement on the previous release.

As for your question, manicsounds, it doesn't appear to include the old featurettes or the 1935 version, but the new featurettes sound like substantial upgrades (I've read that the old ones were a bit on the fluffy side), and there are two short silent films included (an adaptation of Bleak House and another version of Scrooge), as well as an Orson Welles radio production with Lionel Barrymore as scrooge. It sounds like this is the edition to get.

Matt

#99 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:24 pm

I watch this film every year on Christmas Eve, but I'm glad I held off on the initial BD release. Amazon seems to be the only major online retailer stocking this, and they're currently out of stock (2-5 week delivery).

Feego

#100 Post by Feego » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Looks like it's back in stock, and 45% off to boot.