Milestone

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cold Bishop

#101 Post by Cold Bishop » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Two Words: Cool World

Titticut Follies is nice and all, but Wiseman needs to get this film out asap.

Not to mention The World's Greatest Sinner, Ice, and On the Bowery.

Mise En Scene

Re: The Exiles (Mackenzie, 1961)

#102 Post by Mise En Scene » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
King Prendergast wrote:The Shadows, Killer of Sheep school of American cinema is my absolute favorite. We have no truly great independent realists in american film anymore. what a shame.
Andrew Bujalski's Mutual Appreciation is worth your time, but don't look for racial commentary there.
I think Rahmin Bahrani with his last two features fits the bill more than Bujalski.

Cash Flagg

#103 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:Two Words: Cool World
Titticut Follies is nice and all, but Wiseman needs to get this film out asap.
In the Wiseman thread, I mentioned this email I received from Zipporah: "We do hope to release THE COOL WORLD on DVD. The original materials for the film need to undergo restoration, so this likely will not happen until sometime in 2009. Please check back then."

If you're in LA, you can see the film tomorrow night at Cinefamily.

Hopscotch

#104 Post by Hopscotch » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:04 pm

The Exiles is seeing a DVD release in December, correct? The Milestone website refuses to work for me.

drdoros

The Exiles

#105 Post by drdoros » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Hopscotch wrote:The Exiles is seeing a DVD release in December, correct? The Milestone website refuses to work for me.
Well...the website is down for a few days for maintenance and other "stuff" It should be up again soon. Meanwhile, The Exiles has its own site at www.exilesfilm.com

HOWEVER, I've delayed the December dvd release because a) the theatrical release has been a hit so it will run through at least the end of the year and b) we're a two-person staff now and I have much to do including the next restoration. It's definitely a mom-and-pop operation these days! However, there are a TON of bonus features for The Exiles so it'll be worth the wait.

Scharphedin2

#106 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:16 pm

I almost do not have the heart to ask, but are there any news on the DVDr release of the Russian silent films? It is one of the most anticipated releases this year (for me).

drdoros

Early Russian Cinema

#107 Post by drdoros » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:I almost do not have the heart to ask, but are there any news on the DVDr release of the Russian silent films? It is one of the most anticipated releases this year (for me).
Actually, that one I was going to announce after I got back from Pordenone. They'll be available by the end of October.

Scharphedin2

Re: Early Russian Cinema

#108 Post by Scharphedin2 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:39 pm

drdoros wrote:
Scharphedin2 wrote:I almost do not have the heart to ask, but are there any news on the DVDr release of the Russian silent films? It is one of the most anticipated releases this year (for me).
Actually, that one I was going to announce after I got back from Pordenone. They'll be available by the end of October.
FANTASTIC! Thanks! :D

drdoros

Early Russian Cinema

#109 Post by drdoros » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Just to let everybody know that after weeks of printing, hand-cutting the sleeves, slipping them into the thin cases, and getting the DVD-Rs from the lab, the EARLY RUSSIAN CINEMA collection is now available for sale. We've combined volumes 1 and 2 since they were fairly short, lowered the price for each volume to $24,95 and lowered the set price to $200. You can find them here.

Sorry, you would need to call or email them to buy since they are special order items.

Dennis

whaleallright

Re: Milestone

#110 Post by whaleallright » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Dennis,

Re. the Early Russian Cinema DVD-Rs: would these be transfers from the VHS tapes or remasters from a higher-quality source?

HerrSchreck

#111 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Jonah that was specifically addressed by Dennis back on page 3 of this thread.
Last edited by HerrSchreck on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whaleallright

#112 Post by whaleallright » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 pm

Aha, thank you.

Scharphedin2

Re: Early Russian Cinema

#113 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:43 pm

drdoros wrote:Just to let everybody know that after weeks of printing, hand-cutting the sleeves, slipping them into the thin cases, and getting the DVD-Rs from the lab, the EARLY RUSSIAN CINEMA collection is now available for sale. We've combined volumes 1 and 2 since they were fairly short, lowered the price for each volume to $24,95 and lowered the set price to $200. You can find them here.
Great, great news!

You have my order in the mail!

drdoros

#114 Post by drdoros » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:45 am

Perkins Cobb wrote:Same for Milestone -- I can't wait for The Exiles (and Dennis, I was sad to hear that you weren't able to do anything with The Summer Children, if my info is accurate).
You're right about being moved over from the New Yorker thread, so I've taken it here. Sorry about The Summer Children, but we're now a two-person company and we have a lot of films licensed (not announced yet) to bring out. There will be fewer DVD releases from us, but more elaborate. I'm working 24/7 on the bonus features for The Exiles.

And of course, we'll still restore films on film and release them theatrically. Margot Benacerraf's ARAYA which we premiered in Berlin, is a gorgeous tone poem that will really surprise a lot of people. It's planned to play in late summer.

Gregory

#115 Post by Gregory » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:21 am

Can you provide any updates about You Got to Move, from Milliarium Zero?
Thanks, Dennis.

Jonathan S

#116 Post by Jonathan S » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 am

Is there still any hope for your Charley Chase DVD set, Dennis? As you probably know, the All Day set (with different films, I think) devoted to Chase is also stalled!

drdoros

#117 Post by drdoros » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:18 pm

We're waiting on You Got to Move -- the director Lucy and co-filmmaker Veronica are working on the bonus features but at their own pace since they have new projects they have to do. It's an important film and we want them to have the freedom to do it right.

As for Charley Chase, we're stalled for the same reason as All Day. Too much money, too few sales. At least you can see them on TCM. We do want to do something on the internet with the shorts, but haven't had the time or the expertise to figure that out yet. By the time we do, it might be viable economically as well.

Cash Flagg

#118 Post by Cash Flagg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:17 pm

According to Michael's Movie Mayhem, The Dragon Painter, Electric Edwardians, Killer of Sheep and Winter Soldier are going OOP. Dennis, do you know if these titles will become available again at a later date?

drdoros

#119 Post by drdoros » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:According to Michael's Movie Mayhem, The Dragon Painter, Electric Edwardians, Killer of Sheep and Winter Soldier are going OOP. Dennis, do you know if these titles will become available again at a later date?
Again, they are not out-of-print -- they are available from Milestone.

What A Disgrace

#120 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Any update on Charles Burnett's To Sleep With Anger?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#121 Post by domino harvey » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:03 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:Any update on Charles Burnett's To Sleep With Anger?
Seriously, everytime I see this thread bumped, I get excited because I think that it's finally been announced

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#122 Post by swo17 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 pm

I just bought a crappy VHS of To Sleep With Anger, but I didn't break the bank to do it, so I'm afraid a DVD announcement is not on the horizon.

tojoed

#123 Post by tojoed » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 am

swo17 wrote:I just bought a crappy VHS of To Sleep With Anger, but I didn't break the bank to do it, so I'm afraid a DVD announcement is not on the horizon.
If you just bought a VHS, then the rules are that an announcement will be made in the next few days.

Isn't there a BFI DVD recently released of "To Sleep with Anger"?

MichaelB

#124 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:49 am

tojoed wrote:Isn't there a BFI DVD recently released of "To Sleep with Anger"?
Well, it's only "recent" in the sense that it was released in this millennium - it came out in 2004, and I believe it's now OOP.

That said, Amazon.co.uk had three sellers offering reasonably-priced new copies last time I checked.

unclehulot

#125 Post by unclehulot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm

drdoros wrote:As for Charley Chase, we're stalled for the same reason as All Day. Too much money, too few sales. At least you can see them on TCM. We do want to do something on the internet with the shorts, but haven't had the time or the expertise to figure that out yet. By the time we do, it might be viable economically as well.
Of all the times I REALLY wish I had set my DVR for a day on TCM was that time they played all of your Charley Chase shorts! Is there any possibility they might play them "en masse" again? Dennis, have you ever thought of getting people to subscribe in advance to issues like this to see what kind of demand there might be? I suppose it would be all of us "usual suspects" that would sign on. In any case, best of luck with everything!