Milestone

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Milestone

#826 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:51 pm

drdoros wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:22 pm
I'm sorry to say, but the finances of a Blu-ray release just don't add up these days. Between commercial streaming (Amazon, etc), academic streaming (like Kanopy and Alexander Street Press) and buyers demanding deep discounts for physical discs, it's difficult for a small company to pay the $6000 for the authoring and compression, the cost of a yearly blu-ray license and the per-disc licensing fees. That and most of our business is overseas where they do not want Blu-ray. We will continue to on some prestige items, but the smaller titles are not being supported financially.

Dennis, Milestone Films
Dennis, does this mean we shouldn't expect a Blu-Ray release for the Charles Burnett set (Killer of Sheep, When It Rains, etc.)?

Also, would Milestone consider at least making these titles available for 1080p HD download purchases on, say, iTunes?

drdoros

#827 Post by drdoros » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Right now, what I can tell you to expect is that we'll be restoring some very cool titles that most people have not heard of and that we'll be doing our best to distribute them. We have also created our own Vimeo channel so you will be able to get more and more of them there in the future.

DD

L.A.

#828 Post by L.A. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks to the National Gallery of Art and Milestone Filibus is available for free viewing as a ”stay-at-home” gift. Just watched it and it is indeed splendid. Hopefully soon on home video, will be definitely getting this.

CantelopeSkiz

#829 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 pm

The film seems to have been taken down from their website, and links to 'page not found' on their website.

drdoros

#830 Post by drdoros » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 pm

It was a week's screening for free to the world. There will be more chances to see FILIBUS soon enough!

starmanof51

#831 Post by starmanof51 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:17 pm

Another new year, as good a time as any to wonder aloud again if there’s any movement/hope for a blu ray of the I Am Cuba restoration

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#832 Post by swo17 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Excellent question!

L.A.

#833 Post by L.A. » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:51 pm

Plus Filibus. [-o<

htdm

#834 Post by htdm » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:16 am

x2

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#835 Post by Caligula » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:24 am

With Charles Burnett seemingly off the table, the chance of an I Am Cuba blu is the primary reason I keep checking this thread

Saturnome

#836 Post by Saturnome » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 am

Filibus for me. Easily some of the best time you can have with a film from 1915.

bad future

#837 Post by bad future » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:26 pm

Kino Lorber, film preservationist Milestone Films strike multi-year pact (via Screen Daily)
Kino Lorber has signed a multi-year strategic distribution and acquisition agreement with Milestone Films, the New York-based company renowned for restoring and distributing classics such as Mikhail Kalatozov’s I Am Cuba.

Under the pact Kino Lorber gets exclusive US and international distribution rights to Milestone’s library of more than 150 titles and all its future restorations and acquisitions under the Milestone Films In Association With Kino Lorber label.
Would love if this led to, perhaps, blu-rays of their I Am Cuba or Filibus restorations that an individual consumer might purchase to watch at home, as impractical as that might sound...

beamish14

#838 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:03 pm

I'd love to have both cuts of Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? on Blu.

drdoros

#839 Post by drdoros » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 pm

In fact, the deal was struck in large part because we spend so much time on the business end, that we have very little to actually get the titles out. Working with Kino Lorber will speed up the DVD and Blu-ray releases, as well as increase the restorations that Amy and I can do in one year.

knives

#840 Post by knives » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:10 pm

In that case this sounds like a major win for everyone.

beamish14

#841 Post by beamish14 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:19 pm

drdoros wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 pm
In fact, the deal was struck in large part because we spend so much time on the business end, that we have very little to actually get the titles out. Working with Kino Lorber will speed up the DVD and Blu-ray releases, as well as increase the restorations that Amy and I can do in one year.

Thank you for the update. I hope we can get upgrades of the Brownlow/Mollo films and Charles Burnett's work, in addition to a slew of fresh new titles.

As I mentioned, I adore Bodhi-Dharma, and I hope you can revisit that film and, if possible, get Bae Yong-kun'sy neglected masterpiece The People in White out.

bad future

#842 Post by bad future » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:30 pm

drdoros wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 pm
Apologies for my earlier facetiousness! I had assumed that having a long gap between education/exhibition availability and consumer-friendly releases must have been a kind of business calculation; obviously a valid one if so, just a long wait on this end of the pipeline. I’m glad the Kino deal sounds like good news all around.

drdoros

#843 Post by drdoros » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Just to explain our situation, Milestone is a 2-person company that distributes internationally. There is a huge amount of work in distribution, and if you add restoration and a lot of volunteer hours for AMIA and other causes, there have always been long delays in getting things out. Working with Kino Lorber will solve these problems.

What A Disgrace

#844 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:37 pm

Hopefully Bless Their Little Hearts gets the Bluray release it deserves.

L.A.

#845 Post by L.A. » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Coming to DVD (2 discs) and Blu-ray (1 disc) October 12th from Milestone Film and Kino Lorber!

Filibus (1915)
Directed by Mario Roncoroni
Starring Valeria Creti

“No other crime thriller compares to Filibus!” exclaimed a Corona Films ad in the April 1915 Italian film magazine La Vita Cinematografica — and for once the ballyhoo was correct! Directed by Mario Roncoroni and scripted by future science fiction author Giovanni Bertinetti, Filibus is the most exciting, witty, feminist, steampunk, cross-dressing aviatrix thriller you will ever see!
Flying high above the clouds in her dirigible, Filibus, the mysterious sky pirate, is a master of disguise and the scourge of millionaires, banks, and the police. Lowered in a gondola by her henchmen, Filibus steals from the rich and then mysteriously vanishes into the clouds.

With a new digital transfer, newly translated intertitles and a stunning score by the famed Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, Filibus is a joy to behold!

Special features:
Recreating the original Netherlands opening in 1916: Dutch newsreel ""Laatste bioscoop wereldberichten (1916), hilarious French comedy Onésime et la toilette de mademoiselle Badinois (Jean Durand, 1912, Gaumont), Italian travelogue Rapallo (1914, Cines), and the amazing French drama Amour et science (M.J. Hoche, 1912)

Italian feature film Signori giurati (Giuseppe Giusti, 1916, Corona Films) starring Fabienne Fabrèges, and Filibus herself, Valeria Creti!

Two additional Filibus scores composed by Donald Sosin

Finch

#846 Post by Finch » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Saturnome

#847 Post by Saturnome » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:41 am

Finally!

L.A.

#848 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:44 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 26th from Milestone Film and Kino Lorber!

Say Amen, Somebody (1982)
Directed by George T. Nierenberg
Featuring Thomas A. Dorsey, Mother Willie Mae Ford Smith, the Barrett Sisters, the O'Neal Twins and Zella Jackson Price

One of the most acclaimed music documentaries of all time, Say Amen, Somebody is George T. Nierenberg’s masterpiece — a joyous, funny, deeply emotional celebration of African American culture, featuring the father of Gospel, Thomas A. Dorsey ("Precious Lord, Take My Hand"); Mother Willie Mae Ford Smith; and soul-shaking performances by the Barrett Sisters, the O'Neal Twins, and Zella Jackson Price.

When it was first released in 1982, the film garnered rave reviews around the world. Unseen for decades, Say Amen, Somebody was restored to 4K by Milestone in collaboration with the director. The restoration was produced by the National Museum of African American History and Culture with funding by The Robert Frederick Smith Fund for the Digitization and Curation of African American History and the Academy Film Archive. The new restoration features restored Dolby stereo and 5.1 soundtracks.

Special features:
*Never-before-seen outtakes of the Barrett Sisters in rehearsal at home
*New interview with Zella Jackson Price
*George T. Nierenberg introducing Say Amen, Somebody at the Berlin Film Festival
*Rare audio outtakes
*Optional English SDH subtitles

L.A.

#849 Post by L.A. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm

Coming to Blu-ray November 16th from Milestone Film and Kino Lorber!

The Mystery of Picasso (1956)
Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot
Featuring Pablo Picasso

4K restoration!

In 1955 Henri-Georges Clouzot joined forces with his friend Pablo Picasso to make an entirely new kind of documentary – one that captured the moment and the mystery of creativity. For the film, Picasso created 20 artworks, ranging from playful B&W sketches to widescreen color paintings. Using inks that bled through the paper, Picasso rapidly created
fanciful drawings that Clouzot was able to film from the reverse side, capturing their creation in real time. When the artist decided to paint in oils, the filmmaker switched to color film and employed the magic of stop-motion animation. By contract, almost all of these paintings were destroyed when the film was completed. The Mystery of Picasso is exhilarating, mesmerizing, and unforgettable – one of the greatest documentaries on art ever made.

Special features:
*4K Restoration
*Audio commentary by Peggy Parsons, Head of the Film Dept. at the National Gallery of Art
*Audio commentary by Archie Rand, Muralist and Brooklyn College Presidential Professor of Art
*My Father: Maya's Gaze (an interview with Maya Picasso)
*Optional English subtitles
*Theatrical trailer

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#850 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:27 pm

Curious to know if they'll present the restoration as is or if they'll fix the most likely incorrect green tint of the B&W footage.