Studio Canal / Kinowelt / Optimum

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
eerik

Re: Studio Canal/Kinowelt/Optimum

#976 Post by eerik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 pm

manicsounds wrote:Blu-ray.com reviews "Total Recall". has all the US blu-ray extras, adds a German commentary and 2 French featurettes as well. (but the French featurettes have no subtitles)
Turns out that one of the French featurette has English subtitles after all. But I'm still waiting for The Hut to dispatch my order... ](*,)

JPJ

#977 Post by JPJ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 am

Finch wrote:Chuffed to see Casque d'or on BD - hope the other Beckers make it as well!
Not a major Becker perhaps but Gaumont released Les aventures d'Arsène Lupin on blu earlier this year.Don't know about english subs.

manicsounds

#978 Post by manicsounds » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:58 am

JPJ

#979 Post by JPJ » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:26 am

Looks like another controversial release ala Peeping Tom or Don't look now.

triodelover

#980 Post by triodelover » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:24 am

JPJ wrote:Looks like another controversial release ala Peeping Tom or Don't look now.
I'm not saying it won't be a problem, but considering the few captures provided are severely compressed and the reviewer's comments and subsequent downrating of the audio, I think I'll wait for a more competent reviewer before judging.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#981 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:30 am

Yeah, why provide caps at all if you're going to compress them so much?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#982 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm

triodelover wrote:
JPJ wrote:Looks like another controversial release ala Peeping Tom or Don't look now.
I'm not saying it won't be a problem, but considering the few captures provided are severely compressed and the reviewer's comments and subsequent downrating of the audio, I think I'll wait for a more competent reviewer before judging.
Same here. I wanted to have a look to see if the caps are in line with the text.
And the sound part being at 4 out of 10, but the text basically says that it is just a regular soundtrack which is not extraordinary but quite good...

triodelover

#983 Post by triodelover » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:31 pm

tenia wrote:And the sound part being at 4 out of 10, but the text basically says that it is just a regular soundtrack which is not extraordinary but quite good...
It's more than that. The reviewer seems to be finding fault in Studio Canal's decision to faithfully reproduce the original mono soundtrack rather than doing a 5.1 remix so that he can use all the speakers he bought.

triodelover

#984 Post by triodelover » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:21 am

manicsounds

#985 Post by manicsounds » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 am

Le Quai des Brumes review at Avforums, with an average PQ/AQ score...

perkizitore

#986 Post by perkizitore » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:10 am

Looks like AVForums judge a blu-ray with Avatar as a reference! I don't care how the PQ translates to modern standards, as long as they have used the best elements available and they haven't manipulated the image to a great extent, I will gladly purchase it.

MichaelB

#987 Post by MichaelB » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 am

I've never thought that Buñuel's last three films looked especially great even in 35mm, so there's every possibility that an excellent transfer might look a bit "meh" if you're unfamiliar with the originals.

triodelover

#988 Post by triodelover » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 am

manicsounds wrote:Le Quai des Brumes review at Avforums, with an average PQ/AQ score...
And Svet again, with a 4.5/5.0. You can picks yer poison. :wink:

TMDaines

#989 Post by TMDaines » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Having watched Les Quai des Brumes at the cinema recently it's pretty obvious this isn't going to look like neither Avatar, nor La Grande Illusion. All the same it looked pretty great given the history of the film and I'm sure Studio Canal will have done another sterling job.

matrixschmatrix

#990 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't know that I find StudioCanal all that reliable, but certainly the complaints in the first review sound almost exclusively to be about the inherent quality of the source material, which seems like a foolish thing to complain about. The Blu-ray.com review seems much more to be reviewing the actual transfer, though I'm a bit leery of a phrase like "Studio Canal have literally given this most beautiful film a new life" (literally?)- and the screencaps certainly look better than my Criterion, which is really the only relevant point of comparison for me.

chris.norman

#991 Post by chris.norman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 am

My apologies if this is not the right thread. This this Herzog/Kinski boxset looks very promising. It's unclear from the description whether there will be English subtitles, although for most of the films the English version seems to be included. There is a lot of bonus material on the discs, including Burden of Dreams, The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz, and La Soufrière. It seems Herzog was involved in the production of the boxset, and he is quoted. So far I haven't seen any reviews, and no indication that it will be released in other countries. Though on the amazon page this is described as a Studio Canal release (that's why this thread). Anyway, on paper this release looks like one of the most promising boxsets of this year.

Murdoch

#992 Post by Murdoch » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm

That cover is hilarious. Kinski and Herzog: BFFs

Matt

#993 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:19 pm

It's like they're on a camping trip after high school graduation but before they ship off to different colleges.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#994 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Seriously, some prominent user here needs to make that their avatar.

MichaelB

#995 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Delighted to oblige.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#996 Post by swo17 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:54 pm

For your consideration: Forum Member of the Year, MichaelB

TMDaines

#997 Post by TMDaines » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 pm

chris.norman wrote:My apologies if this is not the right thread. This this Herzog/Kinski boxset looks very promising. It's unclear from the description whether there will be English subtitles, although for most of the films the English version seems to be included. There is a lot of bonus material on the discs, including Burden of Dreams, The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz, and La Soufrière. It seems Herzog was involved in the production of the boxset, and he is quoted. So far I haven't seen any reviews, and no indication that it will be released in other countries. Though on the amazon page this is described as a Studio Canal release (that's why this thread). Anyway, on paper this release looks like one of the most promising boxsets of this year.
I was looking this over at Saturn in Duesseldorf today: English tracks included for all the films bar Stroszek and it's stacked with extras. I didn't buy it as I'm hoping there will be an English subbed release before long.

MichaelB

#998 Post by MichaelB » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm

TMDaines wrote:I was looking this over at Saturn in Duesseldorf today: English tracks included for all the films bar Stroszek and it's stacked with extras. I didn't buy it as I'm hoping there will be an English subbed release before long.
If they've created so many HD masters, that has to be a given - especially since Herzog's profile in the English-speaking world is currently as high as it's ever been.

tojoed

#999 Post by tojoed » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:08 pm

It Always Rains on Sunday Blu-ray in November. That's two Robert Hamer films on Blu, who'da thought it?

manicsounds

#1000 Post by manicsounds » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am