German Filmmuseum Edition

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
Tommaso

Re: German Filmmuseum Edition

#551 Post by Tommaso » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 am

Finally they're getting somewhere. Three new releases in February:

The first Kristl installment

Kalatozov

Lamprecht

And thank God they provide a piano soundtrack by Sosin as an alternative to the absolutely abominable soundtrack for "Menschen untereinander" that made the arte transmission close to unwatchable.

zedz

#552 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:26 pm

This is great news! Was Kalatozov even on the radar?

Tommaso

#553 Post by Tommaso » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:55 pm

The Kalatozov disc was first announced some weeks ago, but of course no-one believed in it ;) Looking very much forward to it now, for sure.

zedz

#554 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Tommaso wrote:The Kalatozov disc was first announced some weeks ago, but of course no-one believed in it ;) Looking very much forward to it now, for sure.
Well, that's reassuring. I thought I'd be told that it had been on their fabled "forthcoming releases" list for the last five years (like various other titles I could name).

knives

#555 Post by knives » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Just want to clarify something. There are no subtitles for Eika Katappa with the music being left untranslated in the disc, correct?

max_cherry

#556 Post by max_cherry » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:11 pm

knives wrote:Just want to clarify something. There are no subtitles for Eika Katappa with the music being left untranslated in the disc, correct?
Yes, no subtitles on film or extras.

Tommaso

#557 Post by Tommaso » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:37 am

Now released: Fragments of Kubelka

And I've just seen the new Lamprecht and Kalatozov discs. The Lamprecht films both come from newly restored prints and look excellent, as expected. I particularly loved "Unter der Laterne", which is very compelling, wonderfully acted (Lissy Arna and Mathias Wieman!)and also somewhat more 'stylish' than some of Lamprecht's earlier silents. This as well as "Menschen untereinander" comes with new soundtracks by Donald Sosin. I only listened to his score for "Unter der Laterne" so far, which I found extremely fitting and idiomatic. Mostly piano, but occasionally also other sampled instruments, and even a grammophone record from Weimar times. Wow, has this man gotten great in the last years! The alternative 'modern' soundtrack doesn't seem bad, either, but I think Sosin is the way to go here (and he most definitely is on "Menschen untereinander", as the alternative soundtrack for that film is a complete disaster which marred that film for me when I first watched the arte transmission some months ago).

Perhaps even more important is the Kalatozov release. While the films are not in as good shape as the Lamprechts, the transfers are excellent and "Salt for Svanetia" is about 14 min. longer than the version that has been floating around in the backchannels (and "Nail in the boot" is also 10 min. longer). Not sure whether this is because of new material or because of slower framerate, though. I really liked the new experimental soundtrack for "Svanetia"; ambient and archaic where needed, but also fittingly dissonant when the Soviets come to the country at the end of the film to ring in the 'modern age'. Very informative booklet here, too, with a lot of details on Kalatozov's early films in general.

Two absolutely wonderful releases, which belong in the collection of every silent film enthusiast. Highly, highly recommended.

neilist

#558 Post by neilist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:20 pm

New release, a double DVD set of Richard Blank's 'Friedliche Tage' (1983) & 'Prinzenbad' (1993).
Friedliche Tage & Prinzenbad

This double DVD holds two unusual films by Richard Blank. In Friedliche Tage, we enter a totalitarian and inhuman society, in which daily life is a series of nightmares and the protagonists search for a utopia of freedom and love. Prinzenbad gives us a microcosm of a society dominated by male power plays, wheeling and dealing, corruption, love, and eroticism. Both films dispense with established dramatic conventions, instead consolidating scenes, episodes, and stories into a grotesque roundelay of the decline of civil society.

MichaelB

#559 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:25 am

The Cinema Ritrovato Awards for 2014 have just been announced, including:
BEST DVD: DZIMN SVANTE (SOL'SVANETII & GVOZD' V SAPOGE
(Michail Kalatozov, USSR, 1930-32) - Edition Filmmuseum (PM, TK)

As part of the series edited under the collection «filmmuseum», the Cineteche of Monaco and the Filmmuseum of Vienna in association with the National Archives of Georgia at Tbilisi have join efforts to rescue from l'oubli two unknown films of Michail Kalatozov, whose cinematographic path has still some parts that remain in the dark. The first film, Džim Švantė (Salt for Svanetia) directed in 1930, is a reconstruction of the harsh daily life conditions of the Caucasus mountains peasants. The second title, Gvozd’ v sapoge (A nail in the boot) from 1932, is a parable about the lack of responsiveness in times of war, that constitutes a dreadful anticipation of the Stalin regime purges. Both films were ristored for the occasion and additioned with a musical comment and subtitles in German and English. The edition is accompanied by a 16-page bilingual booklet (German-English).
(Full press release and other winners here)

Gregory

#560 Post by Gregory » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:30 pm

A member at Nitrateville has posted some interesting reports of a premiere of a restoration of Homunculus, using elements obtained from Moscow. Like some other folks here, I've only seen a fragment of this (Part 4) and would love to see more. I wonder if we can expect Filmmuseum to bring this amazing find to DVD.

swo17

#561 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 pm

:shock: Sounds too good to be true.

Tommaso

#562 Post by Tommaso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm

As I said elsewhere, if the Munich guys consider this a work in progress it will most likely take a few years until they arrive at a version they deem to be as complete as possible. And then, and only then, there might be a release via the Filmmuseum label (which is of course the obvious candidate). I'm pretty sure it will come, actually, but given all the delays with the releases they announced years ago (literally, think of the Barnet!), I wouldn't hang my hopes too high that this will come anytime in the near future. But I'm very, very glad that they're doing something about bringing this series into a somewhat presentable shape.

Grand Wazoo

#563 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:04 pm

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy Filmmuseum discs? I've yet to explore their catalogue but that Kalatozov set looks great.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Tommaso

#564 Post by Tommaso » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Try http://www.jpc.de . At least with new releases, they usually have very competitive prices (and who wants to buy from amazon these days, anyhow). The Kalatozov is a must have, but I'd also very much recommend their Vertov discs, the Ruttmann set very obviously, or Kuleshev's "Po Zakonu". If you want to look further, the two Lamprecht releases as well as their Asta Nielsen discs (Pabst's "Die freudlose Gasse" !) should be extremely attractive for any silent film fan. First-class transfers of not always first-class prints (though usually more than acceptable), but that latter point must really be forgiven.

swo17

#565 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Tommaso wrote:Try http://www.jpc.de .
And compare to this.

AlexHansen

#566 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 am

It gets kind of lost/forgotten among all the other amazing releases but the Materialfilme disc was one of the greatest blind buys I've ever made.

Lemmy Caution

#567 Post by Lemmy Caution » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 am

Apparently I hadn't looked at this thread in slightly over 2 years. I'd love to get that Asta Nielsen set.

repeat

#568 Post by repeat » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:57 am

Keep in mind that (depending on where you are) most of the German titles are likely available at your local Goethe-Institut library - they usually have a good selection of these, and since they're relatively expensive it's nice to be able to explore some of the more obscure ones without having to blind-buy.

Out of those, I'd recommend at least Material by Thomas Heise, which along with the shorter 1980's works in that set is pretty essential if you have any interest in recent European history and/or documentary filmmaking in general; Zwischen gestern und morgen, one of the most important German post-WWII "rubble" films (along with The Murderers Are Among Us); and Nerven, which is interesting to say the least, and required viewing for anyone seriously into silents.

AlexHansen

#569 Post by AlexHansen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Has anyone seen either of the films on the recent Richard Blank disc?

JimmyTango

#570 Post by JimmyTango » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:07 pm

https://www.filmmuseum.at/en/shop/three_songs_of_lenin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dziga Vertov's Tri pesni o Lenine coming in September.

JAP

#571 Post by JAP » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:34 am

And apparently another Benning: natural history / Ruhr.
Not a popular view around these parts, but the lack of Hi-Def releases of Mr. Benning's movies feels like a wasted opportunity.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#572 Post by Drucker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:02 am

JimmyTango wrote:https://www.filmmuseum.at/en/shop/three_songs_of_lenin

Dziga Vertov's Tri pesni o Lenine coming in September.
The Image went out of print and this now is listed for $100, so this is good news for anyone who needs it.

neilist

#573 Post by neilist » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Another new release listed,'Oktoberfest München 1910-1980'.
A unique collection of film documents about the Munich Oktoberfest: early silent footage and amateur films, newsreel clips and TV shows, experiments with color, 3-D, CinemaScope, and multi-channel sound - and works of New German Cinema directors like Ferdinand Khittl, Herbert Achternbusch and Percy Adlon.

foggy eyes

#574 Post by foggy eyes » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 pm

natural history & Ruhr is supposed to be out now, but doesn't appear to be listed on jpc yet. I'm waiting until jpc stock it instead of ordering directly from EF as it'll be cheaper -- could anyone else who's planning on doing the same thing post here if/when you see it appear on jpc? Ofc I'll do that if I see it first. Would be appreciated! :D

JAP

#575 Post by JAP » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Tommaso wrote:No, the new resto of "October" is indeed not available anywhere, and it looked pretty great in the arte transmission last year, so that's a very welcome release. Forget about any earlier releases of the film. I just can't see the sense in pairing it with "Potemkin", given that the Transit release with the Meisel score is perfectly fine. Or perhaps we're in for a surprise here, of a kind that I just can't fathom at the moment. (...)
According to the 'Restoration Row' column on the latest issue of Film Comment, the Potemkin restauration carried out by the Vienna Film Museum does indeed seem to have something new up its sleeve: a talkie! "German Sound-on-Disc Version, with synch dialogue and additional sound by Edmund Meisel".