Fantoma

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
kekid

#51 Post by kekid » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:47 pm

Fantoma responded to me a few months back that "Why does Herr R Run Amok?" will be released in 2005. That did not happen. I wrote to them again for an update. That e'mail remains unanswered.

rwaits

#52 Post by rwaits » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:12 pm

Fantoma is so damn frustrating.

DDillaman

#53 Post by DDillaman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:49 am

rwaits wrote:Oh great...was this before or after Fantoma sent out that e-letter saying the set was still on? If Fantoma's not going to do it, is anyone?
full quote, from the Nov. 19th issue of the LISTENER: "A more recent falling out, with film company Fantoma, is why the long-awaited Magick Lantern Cycle DVDs have not appeared."

Author is Philip Matthews, if anyone wants to try to track him down for further details.

rwaits

#54 Post by rwaits » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Any updates on this perpetual stalemate?

spencerw

#55 Post by spencerw » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:10 am

kekid wrote:Fantoma responded to me a few months back that "Why does Herr R Run Amok?" will be released in 2005. That did not happen. I wrote to them again for an update. That e'mail remains unanswered.
In the UK, Arrow has announced that it is to release 19 Fassbinder films on DVD (see http://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/index.php?c ... 5dae4623b7). Perhaps we shall get Why Does does Herr R Run Amok? from them in the not too distant future.

stroszeck

#56 Post by stroszeck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:48 pm

Anyone have any info on whether FANDO Y LIS will be going back into print? I can't, for the life of me, get my hands on a copy for less than $50. Just wondering, since I know the film went out of print once before.

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#57 Post by nick » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:31 pm

Looks like they have announced the actual release date for Why Does Herr R Run Amok

FANTOMA RETURNS WITH NEW SLATE OF TITLES FOR 2006!
After a long spell in distribution limbo, Fantoma is back! We've just announced a May 30th street date for Rainer Werner Fassbinder's WHY DOES HERR R. RUN AMOK? and plan a regular slate of releases, including the long delayed special edition of Sam Fuller's DEAD PIGEON ON BEETHOVEN STREET and THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER. Keep checking back for regular updates (we promise!)

toiletduck!

#58 Post by toiletduck! » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:55 pm

Fantoma wrote:THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER
Wee-ha!

-Toilet Dcuk!

Lino

#59 Post by Lino » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

toiletduck! wrote:
Fantoma wrote:THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER
Wee-ha!
I'm with Matt on this one: I'll believe it when I hold it in my hands. Meanwhile , go watch a couple of his movies on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0i_LsNg ... th%20anger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJDlHX8Y ... th%20anger

rwaits

#60 Post by rwaits » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Please let the Anger set happen this time. Funny, I was actually about to make my semi-annual "Any News on This?" post. I'm happy, if it surfaces.

ben d banana

#61 Post by ben d banana » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:19 pm

TechNoir wrote:I just got this statement in the mail from Caroline music distribution.

"We're pleased to announce that effective immediately, Caroline will be the exclusive distributor of Fantoma Films in the U.S."
This is officially on, with Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? and the full catalog in Caroline's May 30th new release book, to go along with Fantoma's announcement and the above quoted statement. Everything is also searchable on their site.

Anonymous

#62 Post by Anonymous » Thu May 18, 2006 3:34 pm

Hey,

Does anybody know what Fantoma Films is doing about the vast amount of defective "Forbidden Zone" DVDs that have shown up in the marketplace?

It seems that alot of people are dissatisfied with the 'Special Features' portion of the disc. They don't work. Some people have sent their defective discs back to Fantoma for a replacement and never heard anything for months.

Also, the Fantoma website is either not functioning at all, or is un-friendly to certain browsers, making it impossible for customers to even contact them about this issue.

rwaits

#63 Post by rwaits » Fri May 19, 2006 10:08 am

I wrote into Fantoma to ask about the Anger set, and was shocked to have received a response, and in only one day!

Still coming...We're gunning for a Halloween release. We'll post it on
the
site once it's for sure.

Best,
Ian

We'll see....

Gregory

#64 Post by Gregory » Sun May 21, 2006 2:06 pm

To whet our appetites, a landmark release of the soundtrack music in two versions:
Forced Exposure mailorder (www.fe.org) wrote:ARCANUM 001CD
BEAUSOLEIL, BOBBY: Lucifer Rising 2CD (ARCANUM 001CD) 25.00
The winds are weird, and unbelievably enough both versions (2CD and proletariat-styled single CD) of this Bobby Beausoleil soundtrack are available again! Safe to assume the evil backwards masked tapes have been erased and this now fully suitable for family listening & all ages, thank god. "The soundtrack to Kenneth Anger's legendary film has been unavailable to the public since the music was completed nearly 25 years ago. Bobby BeauSoleil's dark psychedelic masterpiece is now available on this deluxe 2-disc set with multi-fold digipak. The soundtrack on disc one has been fully restored and digitally remastered, and the second disc includes never before heard alternate versions and rarities. The 28-page full-color booklet chronicles the history of these recordings with extensive liner notes by occult scholar Michael Moynihan, an introduction from director Kenneth Anger, a letter from Bobby BeauSoleil himself, and dozens of rare photos and memorabilia."
ARCANUM 101CD
BEAUSOLEIL, BOBBY: Lucifer Rising CD (ARCANUM 101CD) 15.00
"Single disc jewel case edition of Bobby BeauSoleil's haunting psychedelic masterpiece soundtrack to Kenneth Anger's cult epic film Lucifer Rising. BeauSoleil makes psychedelic, symphonic rock in search for the tones, chords and rhythms that resonate at the deepest levels of human experience."

What A Disgrace

#65 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon May 22, 2006 11:23 pm

From the front page...

EDUCATIONAL ARCHIVES: SCHOOL LOCKER June 27th
FASSBINDER COLLECTION II July 25th
RED ANGEL August 22nd

spencerw

#66 Post by spencerw » Tue May 23, 2006 12:23 am

What A Disgrace wrote:From the front page...

EDUCATIONAL ARCHIVES: SCHOOL LOCKER June 27th
FASSBINDER COLLECTION II July 25th
RED ANGEL August 22nd
Clicking on the general link for Fassbinder on the front page shows that Collection II contains Martha and In a Year With 13 Moons. Mothing new.
Last edited by spencerw on Tue May 23, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashirg

#67 Post by Ashirg » Tue May 23, 2006 12:30 am

SCHOOL LOCKER is also just a re-packaging of the old discs, but announcement of Red Angel makes me happy. Let's hope The Black Test Car will follow soon.

toiletduck!

#68 Post by toiletduck! » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:16 pm

rwaits wrote:I wrote into Fantoma to ask about the Anger set, and was shocked to have received a response, and in only one day!

Still coming...We're gunning for a Halloween release. We'll post it on
the
site once it's for sure.

Best,
Ian

We'll see....
So..... Halloween's comin' on quick. Any more info? Anyone? Bueller?

-Toilet Dcuk

Matt

#69 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Well, they didn't actually specify Halloween of 2006.

McGeeIng

#70 Post by McGeeIng » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:25 pm

I emailed Fantoma to see if the Anger set would make the Halloween date and they wrote back saying Volume One is scheduled for November 28th

rwaits

#71 Post by rwaits » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:24 am

Oh man I'd just about given up hope (yet again)...I wonder how accurate that date could really be though...reading through that other current thread on Anger makes it sound as if he doesn't even know Fantoma exists.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#72 Post by Buttery Jeb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:57 am

The November 28th date is also mentioned on their website, with a listing of the Volume One release available under "Films." No details yet though.

-BJ

rwaits

#73 Post by rwaits » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:25 am

I didn't realize they were going to split this up over several volumes. Interesting. Great news!

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#74 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:30 am

Taken directly from Fantoma's website:
The Films of Kenneth Anger: Volume One
Street Date: November 28th, 2006

Cinematic magician, legendary provocateur, author of the infamous HOLLYWOOD BABYLON books and creator of some of the most striking and beautiful works in the history of film, Kenneth Anger is a singular figure in post-war American culture.

A major influence on everything from the films of Martin Scorsese, Rainer Werner Fassbinder and David Lynch to the pop art of Andy Warhol to MTV, Anger's work serves as a talisman of universal symbols and personal obsessions, combining myth, artifice and ritual to render cinema with the power of spell or incantation.

Covering the first half of Anger's career, from his landmark debut FIREWORKS in 1947 to his epic bacchanalia INAGURATION OF THE PLEASURE DOME, Fantoma is very proud to present the long-awaited first volume of films by this revolutionary and groundbreaking maverick, painstakingly restored and presented on DVD for the first time.

Contains the films:
Fireworks (1947)
Puce Moment (1949)
Rabbit's Moon (1950, the rarely seen original 16 minute version)
Eaux d'Artifice (1953)
Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome (1954)

Special Features:

-High-definition transfers from newly restored elements
-Screen specific audio commentary by Kenneth Anger
-Rare outtakes and behind-the-scenes images
-36 page hard-cover book, featuring written appreciations for each film by famous filmmakers, never before seen sketches and plans for unproduced films, and more
-Much more!
Retail will $24.98.

-BJ

Lino

#75 Post by Lino » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 am

I think I speak for (almost) everyone when all I can mutter is this: :shock: