Home Vision Entertainment

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

Re: Home Vision Entertainment

#251 Post by Tribe » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:25 am

It sure seems Image wants nothing to do with the HVE brand. Was watching Image's release of Breaker Morant...and the disc opens with the HVE logo/credits...nothing at all on the box. In the past, Image at least would throw the logo on the back and on the spine of the box.

Jeff

#252 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:38 am

Breaker Morant is HVE's only property released on Blu-ray, right? I'm surprised that there wasn't a deal worked out for Criterion to release it. The Blu-ray transfer got pretty decent reviews, and it's only $10 at Amazon.

Tribe

#253 Post by Tribe » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Jeff wrote:Breaker Morant is HVE's only property released on Blu-ray, right? I'm surprised that there wasn't a deal worked out for Criterion to release it. The Blu-ray transfer got pretty decent reviews, and it's only $10 at Amazon.
I don't know if it's been released in a Blu Ray version...the edition I just watched is a DVD...and, regardless, the picture looks mighty nice.

Jeff

#254 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:02 pm

Tribe wrote:I don't know if it's been released in a Blu Ray version...the edition I just watched is a DVD...and, regardless, the picture looks mighty nice.
I was saying that it has indeed been released on Blu-ray and is available for just $10. Just inquiring as to whether or not anyone is aware of other HVe properties on Blu-ray.

Matt

#255 Post by Matt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Blu-ray.com has a listing of Image's available Blu-rays, and none of the others look remotely like HVE titles (though I don't know how one could tell for sure).

Jeff

#256 Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Matt wrote:Blu-ray.com has a listing of Image's available Blu-rays, and none of the others look remotely like HVE titles (though I don't know how one could tell for sure).
Thanks, Matt. I didn't realize that Blu-ray.com had that extensive database. I do believe you are correct about none of those looking like HVe properties. The Amazon sale on Image Blu-rays is over, so Breaker Morant is back up to $15.

Tribe

#257 Post by Tribe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Anyone familiar with the HVE release of Norman McLaren: The Master's Edition? I'm not familiar with McLaren's work, but I've been reading up about him. I'm interested in purchasing this before Image goes and lets it fall out of print.

zedz

#258 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm

An absolutely essential purchase. McLaren is a great film artist and this is the definitive edition. The only possible quibble is that the transfers are heavily pictureboxed (done presumably to ensure that not a millimetre of imagery is lost), but that's the price of admission. Nobody else is going to do any better for this superb body of work.

It's been released in other zones in essentially the same form, so you might be able to shop around for a bargain (and forestall anxiety about it going out of print).

joshua

#259 Post by joshua » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:04 am

Is Image putting the Home Vision line out of print? Many of their Zatoichi films are becoming harder to find at most of the e-tailers I know (with #9 and #11 going for upwards of $100 at Amazon!) and at DVD Empire they say titles like Salome, Sympathy for the Underdog, Underworld Beauty and Ronin Gai are discontinued. Looking through all of the HVE titles on DVD Empire, many of the them are are also on back-order.

Tribe

#260 Post by Tribe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

joshua wrote:Is Image putting the Home Vision line out of print?
I think it's more a case of Image not being interested in re-newing the appropriate licenses. Image never knew what to do with HVE.