Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#2676 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 31, 2020 12:20 pm

Weren’t all of these already released in the UK on region free discs for like nothing?

fdm

#2677 Post by fdm » Sun May 31, 2020 7:07 pm

That is the content of the US box set from 2015, which has sold for not too much more than nothing.

EddieLarkin

#2678 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:05 am

Surely the 4 with new masters are different to what was previously released?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#2679 Post by tenia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:07 am

Yes, the masters would at least be new, and quite welcome upgrades too, most of these being fairly typical old HD masters from Universal, ie visibly filtered and not very subtly graded.

L.A.

#2680 Post by L.A. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:24 pm

Coming August 25th!

The Sign of the Cross (1932)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Mark A. Vieira, co-author of Cecil B. DeMille
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 126 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of Cleopatra, Reap the Wild Wind, Samson and Delilah and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic and turbulent biblical tale starring screen greats Fredric March (The Eagle and the Hawk), Claudette Colbert (Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife) and Charles Laughton (Witness for the Prosecution). Ancient Rome comes to life on a grand scale in the epic spectacular The Sign of the Cross. In the year 64 A.D., the corrupt and maniacal Emperor Nero Claudius Caesar (Laughton) torches the city so he can blame the ensuing destruction on the unsuspecting Christians. Meanwhile, Roman Prefect Marcus Superbus (March) falls for an innocent and beautiful Christian maiden, Mercia (Elissa Landi, The Count of Monte Cristo). When the seductive and wicked Empress Poppaea (Colbert) learns that she has a romantic rival for Marcus’s attentions, she conspires with Nero to send all Christians to a chilling death. Filled with some of the most outrageous and breathtaking scenes ever filmed, including the infamous “milk bath,” this pre-Code classic is a dynamic testament to DeMille’s visionary style. The great Karl Struss (Sunrise) received an Oscar nomination for his stunning cinematography.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2681 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

That one’s pretty good, and we already know which scene Gary Tooze will be fast forwarding to in his review

Cash Flagg

#2682 Post by Cash Flagg » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm

DVD Beaver wrote:Colbert's robust bitrates look quite pleasing in motion

CantelopeSkiz

#2683 Post by CantelopeSkiz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:44 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm
DVD Beaver wrote:Colbert's robust bitrates look quite pleasing in motion
One can assume this will immediately be followed by a plug for the HIGH RESOLUTION captures available exclusively to his patreon supporters.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2684 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 am

KL is also releasing the forgettable but not terrible anti-Marijuana film Lila Leeds made after she got busted with Robert Mitchum for smoking pot, the unforgettably named She Shoulda Said No!. Needless to say, RKO prob dodged a bullet in dropping her, and poor Leeds is really done dirty by the film's producers, who cut her big climactic speech off like she was a live action short documentary winner accepting an Oscar

L.A.

#2685 Post by L.A. » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Coming August 25th on DVD and BD!

Hell Bent (1918)
• NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES
• Archival 1970 Audio Interview with John Ford by Joseph McBride, author of Searching for John Ford
• Audio commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride
• Video Essay by Film Critic Tag Gallagher
• Music by Zachary Marsh

Hell Bent is a rousing Western from the series of Cheyenne Harry adventures that legendary director John Ford (credited as Jack Ford early in his career) made with star Harry Carey (Straight Shooting). Cheyenne Harry was an outlaw with a heart of gold, played with stoic warmth by Carey, whose performances were a pivotal influence on John Wayne.

L.A.

#2686 Post by L.A. » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:08 am

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray August 25th from Kino Classics!

Reginald Denny Collection (two-disc set)

The Reckless Age (1924)
Directed by Harry Pollard
Starring Reginald Denny

Skinner's Dress Suit (1926)
Directed by William A. Seiter
Starring Reginald Denny and Laura La Plante

What Happened to Jones?(1926)
Directed by William A. Seiter
Starring Reginald Denny and Marian Nixon

NEW 4K RESTORATIONS FROM UNIVERSAL PICTURES!

The Reginald Denny Collection gathers three silent features from the career of the debonair British star: The Reckless Age, Skinner’s Dress Suit, and What Happened to Jones? The former amateur boxing champion made his name in a series of two-reelers about the fighting life, The Leather Pushers (1922), but soon made his way up to leading man. In the romantic comedy The Reckless Age Denny plays an insurance agent who insinuates himself into the case of a wealthy heiress. In Skinner’s Dress Suit, directed by comedy ace William A. Seiter (Sons of the Desert), he is a shy clerk who asks his boss for a raise at the urging of his wife. His request is rejected, but he lies to his wife, who immediately goes out and buys an expensive suit, an act that upends his once-ordered life. And in What Happened to Jones?, also directed by Seiter, Denny plays a wealthy young bachelor on the night before his wedding. He is convinced to attend a poker party which is promptly raided, sending him on the run in a series of increasingly hilarious disguises.

Special features:
*Audio commentary for The Reckless Age, What Happened to Jones?, and Skinner's Dress Suit by film historian Anthony Slide
*The Reckless Age music by Jake Monaco
*What Happened to Jones? music by Anthony Willis
*Skinner's Dress Suit music by Leo Birenberg
*O-Card slipcase (Blu-ray only)

senseabove

#2687 Post by senseabove » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:33 pm

September schedule:
9/1
Death on the Nile (1978)
Evil Under the Sun (1982)
The Mirror Crack'd (1980)
The Raging Moon (1971)
Britannia Hospital (1982)
Clockwise (1986)

9/8
Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)
Dr. Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)
The Grey Fox (1982)
Actor 3-Film Collection TBA

9/15
The Cat and the Canary (1939)
The Ghost Breakers (1940)
Spawn of the North (1938)
Disputed Passage (1939)

9/22
Never Steal Anything Small (1959)
The Art of Love (1965)
Lord Love a Duck (1966)

9/29
Love Me Tonight (1932)
The Kiss Before the Mirror (1933)
Five Graves to Cairo (1943)
1984 Film TBA
Gotcha! (1985)
1988 Film TBA
Havana (1990)

Pleased to see The Kiss Before the Mirror scheduled.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2688 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Death on the Nile (1978)
I watched thus recently and could not BELIEVE how bad it was. I like fun hammy overacting but these are just untethered bad performances, especially from Mia Farrow and Angela Lansbury. The editing and direction are so obvious in terms of “clues” that I figured out the gist of whodunnit way, way before I was supposed to, which didn’t help matters while sitting through all 2 1/2 hours of this. I have no words for anyone who thinks Ustinov is a better Poirot than Albert Finney. I like Ustinov (if not particularly here), but absolutely not

whaleallright

#2689 Post by whaleallright » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:49 pm

God bless Kino for releasing these movies (e.g. the Reginald Denny collection) that would seem to have a potential audience of about 100. I'll be picking it up! :)

knives

#2690 Post by knives » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:57 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:37 pm
Death on the Nile (1978)
I watched thus recently and could not BELIEVE how bad it was. I like fun hammy overacting but these are just untethered bad performances, especially from Mia Farrow and Angela Lansbury. The editing and direction are so obvious in terms of “clues” that I figured out the gist of whodunnit way, way before I was supposed to, which didn’t help matters while sitting through all 2 1/2 hours of this. I have no words for anyone who thinks Ustinov is a better Poirot than Albert Finney. I like Ustinov (if not particularly here), but absolutely not
Conversely it's my favorite Poirot movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#2691 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Dr Amicus

#2692 Post by Dr Amicus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:06 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Death on the Nile (1978)
It's a long time since I watched this (I seem to be typing this phrase a lot here!), but this was a favourite of my teenage years. I watched it whenever it turned up on TV, which was quite a bit - I definitely saw it more times than Orient Express. I did recently rewatch Evil Under The Sun though - and that is pretty terrible for many of the same reasons you don't like this one (although it is 30 mins shorter), the saving grace is probably James Mason having a blast. I haven't rewatched the last theatrical Ustinov, Appointment With Death, since its release but that's a truly appalling film not really part of the cycle (it's a Golan-Globus production directed by Michael Winner).

Fred Holywell

#2693 Post by Fred Holywell » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Death on the Nile (1978)
Its saving grace for me is the rather attractive photography by Jack Cardiff.

Feego

#2694 Post by Feego » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:37 pm

senseabove wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:33 pm
9/29
Love Me Tonight (1932)
At last, I can chuck that old "Glamour Girls" DVD set.

Red Screamer

#2695 Post by Red Screamer » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:21 am

9/29
Love Me Tonight (1932)
Yes! One of my very favorite films. And an upgrade was sorely needed, especially for the richly textured soundtrack!

dustybooks

#2696 Post by dustybooks » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:30 am

Love Me Tonight is huge news, I'm very excited.

My kevyip's been overrun lately and I haven't had time to get around to the Maya Deren set, but someone at blu-ray.com raised some concerns about it yesterday.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#2697 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 am

Why can't we have nice things?

knives

#2698 Post by knives » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:47 am

Because it's an election year and those always suck?

jsteffe

#2699 Post by jsteffe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:32 am

dustybooks wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:30 am
Love Me Tonight is huge news, I'm very excited.

My kevyip's been overrun lately and I haven't had time to get around to the Maya Deren set, but someone at blu-ray.com raised some concerns about it yesterday.
I only watched Meshes of the Afternoon but was also disappointed with the Kino presentation. I'm keeping the Blu-ray, if only because a number of Deren's films are not otherwise available in that format.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#2700 Post by Drucker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:58 am

Seems like this could be reminiscent of a few years ago, when we got simultaneous releases of Man With A Movie Camera from a variety of labels, though some with different restorations licensed to them.