Oscilloscope Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
bjeggert82

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vo

#1 Post by bjeggert82 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:44 pm

So what are the chances of Criterion getting their hands on Oscilloscope's new print of Jules Dassin's The Law? There's a trailer for the re-release on Apple.com and it peaked my interest...

Jeff

#2 Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm

bjeggert82 wrote:So what are the chances of Criterion getting their hands on Oscilloscope's new print of Jules Dassin's The Law? There's a trailer for the re-release on Apple.com and it peaked my interest...
Oscilloscope is planning their own DVD release. MCA even joshes with his old pals, "Criterion beware… We are preparing for a battle royale."

souvenir

#3 Post by souvenir » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Oscilloscope also has a page up for The Law, with a couple of scheduled play dates down for the summer.

Cold Bishop

#4 Post by Cold Bishop » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 am

Great movie. Nearly top-tier Dassin. If only someone could get He Who Must Die out (Despite the TCM broadcast, there still aren't even subbed bootlegs circulating).

Ashirg

Oscilloscope Pictures

#5 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:37 am

Jules Dassin's The Law is being released in 2-disc set on September 28. Available for pre-order at Amazon

Ovader

Re: Oscilloscope Pictures

#6 Post by Ovader » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 am

J. Hoberman on the film.

Lemmy Caution

#7 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:34 am

Oscilloscope Pictures?
Were they affiliated with New Yorker?

I just bought The Maid, which has a cover which looks like a cross between what MoC might put on a Weimar film and something for a Magnani post-war Italian film.
You wouldn't guess that it's actually a 2009 Chilean film.
I'm surprised that more films don't try to appropriate a more classical style cover, to lend prestige to a new Dvd release.

I watched half of The Maid last night which has a realist style straight out of badly filmed 70's documentaries -- jittery wandering camera with everything in tight because the rooms are too small to film in. I know such neo-verite has become quite popular, but if it's not well-executed or integrated to the story, I often get my fill in under 30 minutes. The Maid is somewhat clunky in depicting character relations and moving the plot forward, but I've only watched half so far.
So far, I'm more impressed by the cover than the film.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#8 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:45 am

Were they affiliated with New Yorker?
No, this is Adam Yauch (MCA)'s company. Wendy and Lucy is probably their highest-profile release so far. Most of their titles are documentaries and their slate strikes me as rather Plexifilm-ish. They're definitely branching out with The Law.

Ashirg

#9 Post by Ashirg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:10 am

They are also new distributors for Milestone

Lemmy Caution

#10 Post by Lemmy Caution » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:14 am

Looking at O'scope's catalogue, I'm interested in Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) a doc which I've heard good things about.
Last edited by Lemmy Caution on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#11 Post by Brian C » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 am

They also handled distribution (theatrical and DVD/BD) for Oren Moverman's The Messenger, which got Oscar nominations this past year for its screenplay and for Woody Harrelson as Best Supporting Actor.

Fiery Angel

#12 Post by Fiery Angel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:Looking at their catalogue, I'm interested in Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) a doc which I've heard good things about.
a devastating film

Perkins Cobb

#13 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:Looking at O'scope's catalogue, I'm interested in Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) a doc which I've heard good things about.
Amateurish and also deeply offensive and exploitative, because of a manipulative structural tactic deployed by the filmmaker ... which I won't spoil (although I probably should, because the fact that it constitutes a "spoiler" is the problem). You'll see what I mean.

The Law is also pretty silly, although I guess it's not the biggest turkey amid his European work.

Sorry to be such a party-pooper, but....

Jeff

#14 Post by Jeff » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:58 am

Oscilloscope has picked up the rights for Richard Shepard's documentary, I Knew It Was You: Remembering John Cazale. They're not giving it a theatrical release since it already premiered on HBO, but the DVD will supposedly include a lot of full interviews and other material not included in the doc and some of Cazale's short films.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Lemmy Caution wrote:Looking at O'scope's catalogue, I'm interested in Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008) a doc which I've heard good things about.
Amateurish and also deeply offensive and exploitative, because of a manipulative structural tactic deployed by the filmmaker ... which I won't spoil (although I probably should, because the fact that it constitutes a "spoiler" is the problem). You'll see what I mean..
We actually have a thread for the film if you'd like to go into it

manicsounds

#16 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:03 am

I was just thinking the other day about starting an Oscilliscope thread.

http://www.oscilloscope.net/shop/films.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I only have 7 of their releases,
00 Beastie Boys: Awesome I Fucking Shot That (through ThinkFilm)
01 Gunnin' For That #1 Spot (BD)
03 Dear Zachary
07 Treeless Mountain
08 Scott Walker 30 Century Man
12 Burma VJ
16 The Messenger (BD)

excited to see what extras they will include for "The Law". Love this label.
Last edited by manicsounds on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashirg

#17 Post by Ashirg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:38 am

Extras are posted at Amazon:
Disc one: Uncensored French-language version of The Law.
All new feature length audio commentary by film critic David Fear.
New English-language subtitle translation by Lenny Borger.

Disc two: Alternate ending Mariette's Revenge.
1958 episode of Cinépanorama from the set of The Law, featuring Jules Dassin, Gina Lollobrigida, Yves Montand, and Melina Mercouri.
1957 television interview with La Loi novelist Roger Vailland, from French television program Lectures pour tous.
L'Ultima Osteria (2010, dir. Alfredo De Giuseppe) a documentary film about The Law as played in southern Italy today.
The Law original theatrical trailer.

With an exclusive essay by Haden Guest, director of the Harvard Film Archive.

Jeff

#18 Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 am

^ Wow, they really are gunning for Criterion turf with that release!

Oscilloscope even has spine numbers on their theatrical releases. Beat that Criterion!

You can buy posters for several of their films on the website, including the one for The Law, where Gina Lollobrigida appears to be brushing her teeth with a switchblade.

Matt

#19 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Jeff wrote:^ Wow, they really are gunning for Criterion turf with that release!

Oscilloscope even has spine numbers on their theatrical releases. Beat that Criterion!
And ALL their DVDs come in shitty, er, I mean beautifully-designed paper sleeves encased in slipcovers, which are sometimes themselves encased in sleeves. I'm sure the digipak crew around here just loves them.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#20 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Matt wrote:
Jeff wrote:^ Wow, they really are gunning for Criterion turf with that release!

And ALL their DVDs come in shitty, er, I mean beautifully-designed paper sleeves encased in slipcovers, which are sometimes themselves encased in sleeves. I'm sure the digipak crew around here just loves them.
It's part of their whole environmental conscious packaging. Not a single bit of plastic in it aside from the disc itself. To get an impression of how this package is like, just head over to the Wendy & Lucy thread and read how half the post complain about their package being bent or crushed. Flimsy as they come. The art itself though is usually really nice though.

Oscilloscope

#21 Post by Oscilloscope » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi all. Oscilloscope here.

Very glad to see this conversation taking place.

RE: the packaging, yes, we try to be environmentally conscious and so that does mean not using plastic and instead using paper and printing techniques that are sourced in a responsible manner. We are aware of previous shipping issues and as a result, we've changed the way that we send all DVDs purchased from our store, so it should no longer happen if you are buying a DVD directly from us. If you've had an issue with any of our DVDs, we do welcome feedback and would like the opportunity to rectify the situation. Please send us an email at info@oscilloscope.net.

And of course let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
O-Scope

Matt

#22 Post by Matt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I get wanting to be environmentally-conscious. And sure, use paper instead of plastic, but why so much paper? The single DVD of The Messenger comes in a double gatefold sleeve, and each panel of the sleeve is folded over twice to create a reinforced pocket. The original size of that piece of paper would be nearly 2' x 2'. That sleeve is then encased in a double-reinforced paper slipcase, which is in turn surrounded by a paper o-sleeve. All of that adds up to a rather heavy package, which makes each DVD more costly in petroleum to ship. If you want to get serious about being green, package the discs in small, 100% recycled cardboard sleeves. Not ideal for brick-and-mortar retail or rental, but that's pretty much non-existent these days.

But this is why I don't run a DVD label. Thanks for posting, Oscilloscope, and don't be a stranger to this thread. We like having representatives from DVD labels posting here.

Oscilloscope

#23 Post by Oscilloscope » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi Matt. Thank you for the welcome. Glad to be around.

You're right. Our standard packaging does come off of a single sheet of paper, roughly 18" by 2 feet. I just uploaded a video to youtube and you can see it coming off press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNCrM0IY-9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, we strive to make use of as much of that paper as possible (the insert card is printed on excess space on that same sheet, as is the slipcase). The disc is the only piece of plastic included. The sheet itself is 80% Post Consumer Waste, unbleached, uncoated, FSC-certified paper. All of our printing is done in a carbon-neutral facility. The additional slipcase is only used in certain circumstances and for certain retailers when necessary. Sometimes it means the difference between the film being available or not. We love the films, and think others will too, so we'd prefer they be available. :)

Like you said, 100% recycled cardboard sleeves (which we use for all of our screeners and non-consumer packaging) is not exactly consumer-friendly. We've tried to find the compromise to provide people with something tangible (and we think beautiful) and to do so in the most conscious way that we can. No, it's not perfect. But we think it's better than the alternative.

O-Scope

Matt

#24 Post by Matt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks for the well-stated defense. As with many of the posters above, I'm happy to see you branching out into older films. It's about time Criterion got a worthy competitor.

manicsounds

#25 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:05 am

I remember hearing Adam Yauch saying that he wanted to rival Criterion in the quality and extras departments, and I'm loving it. But just to say, yes, the well-packaged "The Messengers" is the only Oscilloscope release not to come with any bends or creases.