Oscilloscope Pictures

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: Oscilloscope Pictures

#51 Post by cdnchris » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 am

antnield

#52 Post by antnield » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:01 am

The Digital Fix on Kisses.

Sledge.

#53 Post by Sledge. » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Is anyone here a member of the Circle of Trust? I don't have the money to do it, but I love the idea of a DVD club where every month or so you get a movie in the mail. Once Meek's Cutoff and that William S Burroughs documentary gets the DVD treatment (If they do. I see them on the website) then I might become a member.

manicsounds

#54 Post by manicsounds » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:40 pm

I tried, but I can't as I live overseas....

antnield

#55 Post by antnield » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 pm

The Digital Fix on I Knew It Was You.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm

I picked up FrontRunners on a whim during the BN sale and was very pleased indeed with my purchase. As someone who gravitates towards documentaries that showcase memorable characters (part of why loving Louis Theroux docs are in my blood), I couldn't have made a finer choice, as this peek inside Stuyvesant High School's student president election features one of more memorable film teens I've seen in some time, George Zisiadis. From his locker "lounge" to his blasting of classic rock from a boombox, this is that kid in high school who always seemed to put a little too much time into being at school, but it's hard not to admire his efforts. He's surrounded by a gaggle of other teens of varying interest, but overall the film hits a good note with its tone and is often very funny in an Office kind of way. Highly recommended (and someone else at least watch it, please, because it doesn't seem like very many people have)

bjboyer

#57 Post by bjboyer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 am

I know that "Exit Through the Gift Shop" comes out on DVD on December 14th... but there's no info on their site about when it's going to be released on Blu-ray. I've also checked Amazon and other online shopping stores and I've only seen notice of the DVD (and of the UK Blu).

If anyone has info on when the Blu-ray will be released, I'd appreciate it greatly - thanks!

knives

#58 Post by knives » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 am

They haven't announced a Blu, and there is no reason to think that they will release one.

Fierias

#59 Post by Fierias » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 am

knives wrote:They haven't announced a Blu, and there is no reason to think that they will release one.
from page 2:
Oscilloscope wrote:Exit Through the Gift Shop will come out on Blu-ray, yes.

Oscilloscope

#60 Post by Oscilloscope » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm

We haven't solidified a date yet, but EXIT will indeed be out on Blu in early 2011.

Oscilloscope

#61 Post by Oscilloscope » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:00 pm

To those who've inquired, the EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP Blu-Ray & DVD Combo has a release date of March 8, 2011. You can pre-order it here

Enjoy!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#62 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Do you think there'll ever be an option on the Circle of Trust to opt-in for the Blu-ray version? I would totally sign up if there were, but otherwise it doesn't really make sense

Oscilloscope

#63 Post by Oscilloscope » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:Do you think there'll ever be an option on the Circle of Trust to opt-in for the Blu-ray version? I would totally sign up if there were, but otherwise it doesn't really make sense
Anytime a film is released on blu-ray, all COT members may opt to receive either the blu-ray or the standard DVD.

O-Scope

antnield

#64 Post by antnield » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:25 pm

The Digital Fix on Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Faux Hulot
Jack Of All Tirades

#65 Post by Faux Hulot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:14 am

Got my Blu-Ray/DVD combo of HOWL this week as a Circle of Trust subscriber (days before it opened at one my local art houses, in fact) and I was very pleasantly surprised to find a copy of City Lights' edition of Ginsberg's poem included with the package. You're a class act, Oscilloscope -- glad I subscribed, I like the way you do things.

manicsounds

#66 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:50 am

The DVD of "Kisses" claims to have English subtitles, but they are incomplete. Only about half the dialogue is on screen. Is this some sort of mastering error?

Oscilloscope

#67 Post by Oscilloscope » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:04 pm

manicsounds wrote:The DVD of "Kisses" claims to have English subtitles, but they are incomplete. Only about half the dialogue is on screen. Is this some sort of mastering error?
It is not an authoring error. We worked with Lance Daly to subtitle the film in an unobtrusive, and what we felt was appropriate, way for the theatrical release given that the dialogue is in English, though often difficult to understand. The subtitles on the DVD are a faithful representation of those used for the film's theatrical release.

Hope that helps.

O-Scope

manicsounds

#68 Post by manicsounds » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm

I guess the packaging was misleading, saying optional English subtitles, I assumed was for the entire dialogue, like other titles. What was the reason of not including full subs for the hearing impaired?

Oscilloscope

#69 Post by Oscilloscope » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:19 am

manicsounds wrote:I guess the packaging was misleading, saying optional English subtitles, I assumed was for the entire dialogue, like other titles. What was the reason of not including full subs for the hearing impaired?
The film is very atmospheric, and in creating the subtitles for the theatrical release, it was decided that the least obtrusive we could be with them, the better. Anything that is crucial to the story and potentially not understandable is subtitled. We (and Lance) didn't want the subtitles to compromise the viewing experience. We ran a number of different scenarios, experimenting with timing, color, placement, etc., and this is the one everyone agreed was best for the film. If you're fortunate enough to understand it all, you can shut them off. :) Please let us know if you'd like a transcript of the film (in its entirety) in case you are missing the missing parts.

mfunk: Thank you for the kind words. The film is truly moving and we were extremely fortunate to have been a part of bringing it to audiences. And we're extremely pleased with the Canadian Parliaments recent actions and applaud Kurt and the Bagbys for their years of tireless hard work.

And on a third note, something that perhaps may be of interest to forum readers: the upcoming release of A Film Unfinished will include, among others things, a new telecine from archival elements of Billy Wilder's seldom seen short film Death Mills (1945). It's a fascinating film and we're psyched to be able to include it on this release.

O-Scope

manicsounds

#70 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 am

Oscilloscope wrote:And on a third note, something that perhaps may be of interest to forum readers: the upcoming release of A Film Unfinished will include, among others things, a new telecine from archival elements of Billy Wilder's seldom seen short film Death Mills (1945). It's a fascinating film and we're psyched to be able to include it on this release.

O-Scope
Now that's some great news to be heard, and a surprise.

As for a transscript for the feature, no thanks. Just as a side note, I'm greatful that O-Scope puts subtitles on all releases, but there are times when I think there should be more than 1 option.

"Burma VJ" has English subtitles for the entire film only, whether the scenes are in Burmese or English.

"Kisses" has English subtitles for only the difficult-to-decipher for American ears option.

"I Bring What I Love" have theatrical English subtitles (for the non-English parts) AND the option for full English subtitles for the entire film.

The "I Bring What I Love" option is something I'd highly like from O-Scope, and of course other studios too. (I know even Criterion stopped with full English subtitles from many of their partial-English releases....)

antnield

#71 Post by antnield » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:13 am

The Digital Fix on the Howl Blu.

manicsounds

#72 Post by manicsounds » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:57 pm

colinr0380

#73 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

An excellent documentary which deserves to remain in print. I hadn't realised that it had disappeared from circulation - it seems that even the UK Optimum DVD (which replicated the Palm Pictures disc extras) has gone out of print as well.
SpoilerShow
I wonder if anyone else felt the same sense of ambivalence about the ending of the documentary - that many of the characters we have been following have been forcibly moved out of the tunnels and into sheltered accommodation. It might make them a part of society again, but it seems a shame that they lose their community and homes that they had built up for themselves as well.

Jeff

#74 Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Dear Zachary discussion moved here.

salad

#75 Post by salad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Oscilloscope wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Do you think there'll ever be an option on the Circle of Trust to opt-in for the Blu-ray version? I would totally sign up if there were, but otherwise it doesn't really make sense
Anytime a film is released on blu-ray, all COT members may opt to receive either the blu-ray or the standard DVD.
How does that work exactly? I just signed up, but -- as far as I can tell -- there's no way to state my preference for blu-ray.

Thanks.