Carlotta Releases

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Carlotta Releases

#276 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

PfR73 wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:59 pm
Amazon has listings for 3 Peter Bogdanovich Blu-rays releasing June 21:

Daisy Miller
Texasville
The Great Buster
Great news though I'm a bit disappointed that Texasville may not be the restored cut Bogdanovich was hoping to bring back into circulation. (The run time listed is about the same as the theatrical cut.)

Calvin

#277 Post by Calvin » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:18 am

Their Daisy Miller release looks beautiful:

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#278 Post by tenia » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:50 am

It's a quite dated master though, with the grain looking totally frozen.
Texasville, while still from a pre-existing master, is much better to look at. It's 125 min long.

FrauBlucher

#279 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:06 pm

ellipsis7

#280 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:08 am

New restoration of Vittorio De Seta's BANDITI A ORGOSOLO also released theatrically by Carlotta in France today.... Trailer here... Looks lovely & richly deserving of a Blu Ray release somewhere...

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#281 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:29 am

andyli wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 am
Antonioni's Red Desert and Story of a Love Affair both confirmed to be from the recent 4K restoration.
I'm picking up Red Desert on my way home today. Really looking forward to seeing the colors on that one. The BFI and the Criterion looked very different, so interesting to see where this one sits.

Story of a Love Affair is only released today, but I'm holding back because I already have the UK Cult Films release from 2020. This would probably be from the same restoration, right?

Calvin

#282 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:11 am

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:
andyli wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 8:04 am
Antonioni's Red Desert and Story of a Love Affair both confirmed to be from the recent 4K restoration.
Story of a Love Affair is only released today, but I'm holding back because I already have the UK Cult Films release from 2020. This would probably be from the same restoration, right?
No, the Cult Films release was from an old master not the new restoration.

ellipsis7

#283 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:55 am

Very definitely so... The Cult Films Blu Ray is sourced from an old restoration which was supervised by the late Giuseppe Rotunno, which was also the source for the NoShame DVD release some while back... It leaves a lot to be desired...

The new recent 4K restoration can be found on the Italian Surf Film Blu Ray and now on the French Carlotta Blu Ray, just released...

CRONACA DI UN AMORE - Restored in 4K in 2020 by Cineteca di Bologna in collaboration with Surf Film at L’Immagine Ritrovata laboratory, with funding provided by MiBACT.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#284 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:13 am

I can confirm first hand the Carlotta 2022 BD of Cronaca is from this 2020 restoration, which looks good overall, though it seemed at first glance (I only skimmed through the disc so far) slightly grain managed but also slight washed out.

The Deserto Rosso 4k restoration is more disappointing : the grain is mostly frozen, moving like force field around people or moving objects, it's also clearly not as sharp as I'd expected (I'll have to check what was scanned, but if it was the OCN, then I can only guess the scanner was out of focus) and the grading seemed all over the place (it looks like the movie is full of color inconsistencies) and old-looking. The combination of these, while at least it's not EEd to death like both the BFI and Criterion discs were, make the BD look like it's sourced from something way older it actually is.
Of course, the grading from Lucè Cinecitta is also notably different from both the BFI and Criterion discs, so I still have no idea what the colors of this movie, whose cinematography has been praised for 50 years, are supposed to be. It's however, for those who have seen those, not far from other stuff from Lucè, like for instance their Dino Risi movies (ie quite pinkish and pastel).
As for Cronaca, I only skimmed through the disc though my first impressions rarely change after a full watch (because I screen enough), but if it indeed doesn't change here, the results are quite disappointing.

ellipsis7

#285 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:20 am

My DESERTO ROSSO Carlotta Combo SE is on its' way... Arriving Thursday, when I'll be able to compare it with the recent Japanese Blu Ray sourced from the same 2017 4K restoration supervised by Luciano Tovoli (restoration curated by CSC-Cineteca Nazionale Istituto Luce – Cinecittà in collaboration with RTI-Mediaset film laboratory Fotocinema, Laboratorio CSC-Cineteca Nazionale)... I am pretty pleased with the result on the Japanese disc...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#286 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:05 pm

The text panel introducing the movie states Tovoli was involved, so I suppose it's the same restoration.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#287 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:27 am

Unfortunately, I'll have to agree with Tenia on this one. Such a disappointment. To my eyes, the sharpness is fine most of the time, though. There is a lot of deliberately out of focus shots throughout the film, of course, and generally the detail level of course is much better than on the old BD's. But grain is not good. Looks digitized and badly encoded. Would be interesting to read ellipsis7's comparison of this and the Japanese BD, especially if they come from the same restoration. Where this falters completely for me is in the grading. The colors truly look all over the place, sometimes from scene to scene, and it looks quite boosted as well. I sampled the beach scene where there's a ship with red sails. On the Carlotta the sails are pinkish. Can't be correct/intended. This definitely looks like a missed opportunity which is very disappointing because this truly was in dire need of a restoration.

I remember reading that Antonioni shot this on Technicolor because he really wanted to go full-on with his first color film. Could be that they messed something up in the process of scanning the negatives? I'm no technical expert, but isn't Technicolor a combination of three different colored negatives? Certainly would be easy to mess this process up, I guess?

ellipsis7

#288 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 am

Notes on Some Limits of Technicolor: The Antonioni Case, a Senses of Cinema article discussing how the original colour grading on DESERTO ROSSO was achieved...

rrenault

#289 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:10 am

I was wondering whether or not it’s worth picking up Carlotta’s Red Desert Blu-Ray, even if I already have the Criterion Blu-Ray. I guess I have my answer. Spending 20-odd Euros on the Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie UHD is probably a better use of funds.

On a side note, why in France do home video releases typically appear on brick and mortar shelves over a week before the listed release date on Amazon France? Is there some law that requires online retailers to allow brick and mortars a head start on selling their stock or something.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#290 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 am

I've been wondering myself and the only answer I ended up with is that most people just don't care, as long as it's just a bit earlier, like a week, and not a whole month in advance.
I suppose also that it might be because most indie labels concerned by this have release dates mostly tied up to when they think the finished products will be available, and if there are a week earlier, then they can be sold a week earlier.

After the disturbances created by Covid and the current logistics issues, I think pros are OK with products being early.

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#291 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 am

ellipsis7 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:09 am
Notes on Some Limits of Technicolor: The Antonioni Case, a Senses of Cinema article discussing how the original colour grading on DESERTO ROSSO was achieved...
Thanks! That's probably the article I remembered reading back in the day. I forgot to add that I've seen this film twice on 35mm at the local cinematheque. Of course, it was an old copy which shouldn't be trusted, colorwise, but I clearly remember while seeing it the second time around that I thought that the BFI's slightly colder grading came closest. Definitely not the warmer Criterion or this new color popping restoration from Carlotta.

rrenault

#292 Post by rrenault » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:17 am

tenia wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 am
I've been wondering myself and the only answer I ended up with is that most people just don't care, as long as it's just a bit earlier, like a week, and not a whole month in advance.
I suppose also that it might be because most indie labels concerned by this have release dates mostly tied up to when they think the finished products will be available, and if there are a week earlier, then they can be sold a week earlier.

After the disturbances created by Covid and the current logistics issues, I think pros are OK with products being early.
I love walking into Gibert Jospeh and being like "well there goes 20-odd Euros Amazon won't be getting from me after all...Welp."

ellipsis7

#293 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:41 pm

Had an initial look at the Carlotta BR... It's from the same restoration as the Japanese BR, but whatever Carlotta have done with it, relatively their picture appears anaemic & even a little soft. So I tend to agree with Tenia's comments... I've compared a couple of scenes in the two versions & much prefer the Japanese disc... In the shop, in the painted street in Ravenna & at the apartment building of the worker, the colours seem more defined & true and the texture more visceral & real... Two other significant negatives for the Carlotta BR are that the French subtitles are fixed & cannot be removed and that there are no chapters so you have to roll the film from the top... Both of these issues are rectified on the Japanese disc... All in all, I feel Carlotta have dropped the ball badly on this one...

Out of interest, here is Luciano Tovoli in the viewing theatre discussing his approach to the 2017 restoration...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#294 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:03 pm

There should be chapters, but no chapter menu (as it has become routine for most indie labels). I'm surprised by your comparison : Carlotta have a very hands off approach regarding technicals and their BDs are almost exclusively encoded by David M (I haven't checked those but I'd be surprised if it's not the case).
Meaning it's more likely for the Carlotta disc to be more transparent to the restoration than the Japanese disc.

ellipsis7

#295 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:12 pm

Ok, no chapter menu, but chapters maybe, pretty lacking not to have a menu in a high end Combo limited SE package... Will review more comprehensively tomorrow, but there's something lacking in the potency of the Carlotta image IMHO... The persistent problem with DESERTO ROSSO colour grading is finding the right reference... Criterion used a print held by MoMA, BFI a print in the BFI National Film Archive... DoP Carlo di Palma is dead, so for the 2017 restoration the Cineteca Nazionale turned to Luciano Tovoli, the DoP on Antonioni's THE PASSENGER/PROFESSIONE REPORTER, CHUNG KUO CINA & IL MISTERO DI OBERWALD, albeit in different visual styles and shooting approach. The 4K restoration was essentially endorsed by Enrica Fico Antonioni at the Venice Film Festival that year... A glimpse here of a clip in SD...

rrenault

#296 Post by rrenault » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:00 pm

ellipsis7 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:41 pm
Two other significant negatives for the Carlotta BR are that the French subtitles are fixed & cannot be removed and that there are no chapters so you have to roll the film from the top... Both of these issues are rectified on the Japanese disc... All in all, I feel Carlotta have dropped the ball badly on this one...

[/url]
What is it with Continental European distributors putting forced subs on their discs?

MichaelB

Carlotta Releases

#297 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:01 am

rrenault wrote:What is it with Continental European distributors putting forced subs on their discs?
Almost invariably a contractual obligation on the part of the rightsholder.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#298 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:11 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:01 am
rrenault wrote:What is it with Continental European distributors putting forced subs on their discs?
Yes, and in the present case, it's even more of a likely reason since Carlotta have the habit not to force them.

ellipsis7

#299 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:18 am

The other area in which the Japanese BR wins out is with the restored soundtrack, which is reproduced crystal clear and in pin sharp detail, revealing the subtle layers of the elaborately designed soundscape...

rrenault

#300 Post by rrenault » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:00 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:11 am
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:01 am
Yes, and in the present case, it's even more of a likely reason since Carlotta have the habit not to force them.
On that note, I'm guessing there aren't forced subs on their Christine UHD...

Also, Carlotta seems like a good candidate to do a (David M. encoded)UHD for Blow Out at some point if one doesn't want to break the bank on a Criterion import.