StudioCanal: Melville: the Essential Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Pepsi

Re: StudioCanal: Melville: the Essential Collection

#51 Post by Pepsi » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Bob le Flambeur:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11134&d2=11135&c=4423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Doulos:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11138&d2=11140&c=4425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Un Flic:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=11142&d2=11143&c=4426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Cercle Rouge (same disc):
http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=1405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Army of Shadows:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=2511&d2=2512&c=257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hearthesilence

#52 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Pepsi wrote: Army of Shadows:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=2511&d2=2512&c=257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks like they're working off the same exact transfer used for the Criterion set, but I'm guessing they did the color timing from scratch. Generally the Criterion disc went for timing that is a touch cooler, and on that last exterior shot, they went for a dark, overcast March look whereas the StudioCanal disc went for a sunnier sky. Also, one of the close-ups looks like it was blown up a touch for the StudioCanal set - perhaps to stabilize image? Regardless, the level of detail is nearly identical, it's mainly the color timing choices that are different - it may just be a matter of taste as to which is better.

MichaelB

#53 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:34 am

Cinematographer Pierre Lhomme was involved with the StudioCanal disc.

dwk

#54 Post by dwk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm

From Criterion's booklet
Supervised by director of photography Pierre Lhomme, this high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from the original 35mm camera negative, restored by Studio Canal. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, warps, jitter, and flicker were manually removed using MTI's DRS system and Pixel Farm's PFClean system, while Digital Vision's DVNR system was used for small dirt, grain, and noise reduction.

Telecine supervisor: Pierre Lhomme.
Telecine colorist: Raymond Terrentin/Eclair, Paris
the StudioCanal release looks to have that yellow push we all know and love.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#55 Post by Drucker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 am

dwk wrote:From Criterion's booklet
Supervised by director of photography Pierre Lhomme, this high-definition digital transfer was created on a Spirit Datacine from the original 35mm camera negative, restored by Studio Canal. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, scratches, splices, warps, jitter, and flicker were manually removed using MTI's DRS system and Pixel Farm's PFClean system, while Digital Vision's DVNR system was used for small dirt, grain, and noise reduction.

Telecine supervisor: Pierre Lhomme.
Telecine colorist: Raymond Terrentin/Eclair, Paris
the StudioCanal release looks to have that yellow push we all know and love.
Again, I wonder if that's just a bad encode but from the same master Criterion used (a la the yellow in Criterion's Shoah. A bunch of SC releases from that era have really bad encodes/DNR/transfers (The Graduate, Contempt, The Trial, the original The Third Man).

Grand Wazoo

#56 Post by Grand Wazoo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:45 pm

Can anyone with this box confirm if the picture quality is essentially the same as the discs Kino recently released? Presumably they are the same masters and the Kinos have gotten effusive praise, so I'm thinking the UK box is a cheaper route to go. I already have the Criterion Army of Shadows and don't particularly care about any added Kino extras, but confirmation that the picture quality is equal would be great.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:50 pm

I haven’t made it through my entire box for a revisit, but it is a dead cert KL is using the exact same masters SC used, though KL may have tweaked some aspects in their presentation (ala Bitter Moon debacle). But they’d be derived from the same source

Black Hat

#58 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 pm

How do the extras compare? There can't be anything essential on the Kinos can there?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#59 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm

KL has commissioned commentaries by the same handful of talking heads that appear on seemingly all of their releases— those are not a plus in my book. But, not related to these but another SC license: they did commission a new James Quandt A-Z visual essay for their Marienbad, so some of their producers are at least trying

Black Hat

#60 Post by Black Hat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:38 pm

James Quandt? That is a surprise. Maybe Kino is for sale and they brought him in that day to pretend they're a coherent operation with an intelligent plan. Quandt has a British accent right?

nitin

#61 Post by nitin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 pm

The transfers in the SC set for Léon Morin Priest, Le Doulos and Bob Le Flambeur are all fantastic and from the same 4k restorations that Kino accessed. A word of warning though, Un Flic is in 1080i/50 though and therefore incompatible with most US tvs/players unless either your player or tv can convert it to 1080i/60. Kino has said their upcoming release of Un Flic will be 1080p/24.

therewillbeblus

#62 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 am

nitin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 pm
A word of warning though, Un Flic is in 1080i/50 though and therefore incompatible with most US tvs/players unless either your player or tv can convert it to 1080i/60.
This is probably a silly question, but I'm a novice in this technical area.. will region free players still have trouble with the StudioCanal Un Flic if it's switched to B?

CSM126

#63 Post by CSM126 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:52 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 am
nitin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 pm
A word of warning though, Un Flic is in 1080i/50 though and therefore incompatible with most US tvs/players unless either your player or tv can convert it to 1080i/60.
This is probably a silly question, but I'm a novice in this technical area.. will region free players still have trouble with the StudioCanal Un Flic if it's switched to B?
Not every player is necessarily capable of interpreting 1080i/50, even if it is a region free player. I had this concern when BFI issued the Alan Clarke set (which also has 1080i/50 content), and I googled my player’s model number to look up specs and confirm it could play the material (thankfully it can). I’d recommend you to do the same just to be sure.

therewillbeblus

#64 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:47 am

Thanks, I did that and it doesn’t say one way or the other which isn’t a good sign, but I had bought the set already since it’s worth the price without that title- will report back if it happens to work.

Edit: Looking deeper, the fine print says the player will support frame rate up to 60, thanks for the tip!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#65 Post by swo17 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:15 am

If it doesn't happen to work, just wait for the Kino to be offered cheap