400-401 Stranger Than Paradise & Night on Earth

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Ted Todorov

#26 Post by Ted Todorov » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:49 pm

skuhn8 wrote:Beatrice Dalle. Very hot. Check her out--all of her and multiple times--in 32 degrees matins (aka Betty Blue).
That temperature is 37.2 le matin -- the whole point is that she is hot, not cold enough to be a corps.

skuhn8

#27 Post by skuhn8 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:49 am

just thought I'd cool her off a little, help rewrite the ending

souvenir

#28 Post by souvenir » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:51 pm

The September titles are up and Jarmusch is the winner.
Last edited by souvenir on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indiannamednobody

#29 Post by indiannamednobody » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Wow, what wonderful news for the weekend. Since Down By Law was such a dense package, im expecting the same for both of these. Hopefully they include Permanent Vacation with Stranger than Paradise.

miless

#30 Post by miless » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:02 pm

indiannamednobody wrote:Hopefully they include Permanent Vacation with Stranger than Paradise.
And I hope they include the original short edit of Stranger Than Paradise.

Jeff

#31 Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:07 pm

Only indiannamednobady gets his wish. Specs are up in the first post of the thread.

mikeohhh

#32 Post by mikeohhh » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:29 pm

I totally called these as 400-401, with Permanent Vacation as a STP bonus. I just never posted because spine 400 speculation was driving me insane and I didn't want to contribute to the madness.

jbeall

#33 Post by jbeall » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:31 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:right on. So lets hear it, what are you guys going to ask?
All that speculation about spine #s 400 and 401 for this???

I'm not a Jarmusch fan, but I really like Night on Earth and will probably buy it. But after all that speculation, it just seems kinda... anticlimactic, I guess.

miless

#34 Post by miless » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:38 pm

jbeall wrote:I'm not a Jarmusch fan, but I really like Night on Earth and will probably buy it. But after all that speculation, it just seems kinda... anticlimactic, I guess.
it seems anti-climactic for you, maybe.
It makes complete sense that (if there is any "importance" to being spine #400) that they'd give it to a "director-approved" release (with long-awaited special features)
I would have been "let-down" with Berlin Alexanderplatz (if I actually cared about the #400 spot) because I really do not like Fassbinder (but I do love me some Jarmusch!)

Cinesimilitude

#35 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:06 pm

I will get these two for sure, great to see permanent vacation as a bonus feature.

richast2

#36 Post by richast2 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:47 pm

best. month. ever.

King of Kong

#37 Post by King of Kong » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Most excellent news

jbeall

#38 Post by jbeall » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:33 pm

miless wrote:it seems anti-climactic for you, maybe.
It makes complete sense that (if there is any "importance" to being spine #400) that they'd give it to a "director-approved" release (with long-awaited special features)
I would have been "let-down" with Berlin Alexanderplatz (if I actually cared about the #400 spot) because I really do not like Fassbinder (but I do love me some Jarmusch!)
I don't really care about spine #400, but the speculation was fun while it lasted. But the (in retrospect, poster-generated) hype about 400 made me think it was going to one of criterion's more canonical directors (like Renoir, Godard, Powell, et al.), although your logic (director-approved release) makes perfect sense.

Anywhoo, Jarmusch, while not one of my personal faves, is a fine choice, and I'm really glad criterion picked up Night on Earth.

scotty

#39 Post by scotty » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Any Mystery Train fans out there? One of my all-time favorites. I think it is a far better effort than Night on Earth, though the current release looks pretty good. Great to have Stranger on board.

Floyd

#40 Post by Floyd » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 pm

Stranger Than Paradise is up there in the most important films category for me so to see this released with Permanent Vacation is very exciting news. Night on Earth to me is kind of in that Coffee and Cigarettes realm in Jarmusch's output, which means I don't care for it all of that much but I will get it anyways.

I must agree with you scotty about Mystery Train. I went to Memphis not long ago and stayed in this totally ran down motel. It was the dead of winter and the room didn't have any heat. How much my experience seemed to rival what is seen is Mystery Train even though I am not asian was astounding.

porquenegar

#41 Post by porquenegar » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:08 am

Mr Pixies wrote:Helmut the Cabdriver is my favorite segment, with Giancarlo Espostio. The one with the blind french girl freaked me out, though she was very hot.
"What are you some fucking clown?"

....yes, I am a clown.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#42 Post by Buttery Jeb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Can anyone supply a synopsis/opinion on "Permanent Vacation"? I already have "Stranger Than Paradise," and apart from the earlier film, Criterion's release just doesn't have enough extra for a double-dip.

Any help on this would be welcome.

-BJ

patrick

#43 Post by patrick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:49 am

So both of these are going to be double-disc sets? The features on the Night on Earth disc(s) don't really seem to justify it. Still, I can't complain, I'm happy to see both of these join the collection.

Do any other directors have similar deals for their films? Jarmusch's situation seems fairly unique - I wonder if we can expect a Mystery Train Criterion in the future since that's an MGM title.

miless

#44 Post by miless » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:49 pm

patrick wrote:Do any other directors have similar deals for their films? Jarmusch's situation seems fairly unique - I wonder if we can expect a Mystery Train Criterion in the future since that's an MGM title.
Well, you'll have to wait for MGM's license to expire... as Jarmusch only licenses films to studios for release (as he owns all the rights himself, except for Year of the Dog).

milkcan

#45 Post by milkcan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 pm

Can anyone supply a synopsis/opinion on "Permanent Vacation"?
It has been a while since I've seen it, but I recall the film as being very rough in some of the acting departments. By this I mean a lot of the secondary characters came across as really forced. But, if I'm correct, it's a first film! These instances don't detract from the film's overall quality. I found Chris Parker (I believe that's who he is) great as the main character who wanders around the streets at all hours. John Lurie was also cool as a wandering saxophone player in a funny suit. The score, by the way, is memorable with its mixture of jazz and chimes. And the ending is perfect for Parker's character.

If you had a problem with Jarmusch's other films, you probably won't like the quality of this one. But, I remember it as a touching story of these people in New York made by a man who was (and probably still is) very much in love with his environment (I'm also a Jarmusch fan). I'm looking forward to seeing it again, as well reading Luc Sante's essay on the film.

Antoine Doinel

#46 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:15 pm

miless wrote:
patrick wrote:Do any other directors have similar deals for their films? Jarmusch's situation seems fairly unique - I wonder if we can expect a Mystery Train Criterion in the future since that's an MGM title.
Well, you'll have to wait for MGM's license to expire... as Jarmusch only licenses films to studios for release (as he owns all the rights himself, except for Year of the Dog).
I think you mean Ghost Dog. I made that same mistake recently as well.

miless

#47 Post by miless » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
miless wrote:
I think you mean Ghost Dog. I made that same mistake recently as well.
thanks for catching my mistake... but I actually meant Year of the Horse... Jarmusch's doc. on Neil Young... I believe Neil Young owns the rights to this film (and all the rest are properties of Jarmusch)

Daze

#48 Post by Daze » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Why is "Permanent Vacation" included as an "extra" rather than getting its own spine number? I'm glad it'll be available, but this seems weird.

miless

#49 Post by miless » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Daze wrote:Why is "Permanent Vacation" included as an "extra" rather than getting its own spine number? I'm glad it'll be available, but this seems weird.
Think of it like Criterion releasing It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books as an extra with Slacker.

dadaistnun

#50 Post by dadaistnun » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Daze wrote:Why is "Permanent Vacation" included as an "extra" rather than getting its own spine number? I'm glad it'll be available, but this seems weird.
I've only seen it once, nearly 15 years ago. My memories of it are similar to (if foggier than) milkcan's above. I remember thinking that it felt sort of like a dry-run for Stranger Than Paradise's style and tone, even though it's in color. It's certainly not uninteresting, but it has a certain 'film-school' quality to it. Released on its own, it would sell maybe 10% of what STP will.

eta: What miles said re: Slacker.