54 For All Mankind

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Blue

Re: 54 For All Mankind

#26 Post by Blue » Tue May 14, 2013 2:09 pm

bdsweeney wrote:Having not seen the movie but always thought it looked interesting, I looked around to find a bit of info. From a 'reliable source' :-k , I was curious to read this:
Reviewer: [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3PIPJ2P8C3Z8H/]Bill Andrews[/url] (N. Ireland) wrote:...read the reviews with interest - but frankly I was gutted to discover that Criterion have 'mutilated' this superb doc by messing with the original score/arrangements.

'Deep blue Day' by Brian Eno and intermittant musical inserts lasting only a view seconds (which previously transported the viewer away from the immediate scene with the Astronauts) have all been removed - the magic has been squeezed out of this classic piece of video/doc architecture by a company who have done the equivalent of a painting a moustache on a classic oil with a black felt tip pin!

Please cure my depression with some info on how I can get my hands on the original classic version on DVD or VHS? (unmutilated)!
Knowing Criterion's policy of releasing films on DVD as close to the director's original intent as possible, I find this hard to believe. Nevertheless, does anyone know if there is any truth to the above quote?

BTW: I agree with the previous posts, Eno's album is superb (regardless of how often Ascent (An ending) has been overused in films ever since it was the end-credit music in Traffic).

To add to this, I've since found:
Like you I also recorded FAM in 1989 when it was broadcast on BBC2 as a Horizon special. I watched in wonder at this incredible film footage, complemented by the haunting sounds of Brian Eno. Its one of those rare films that can be watched over and over again and still hold my attention as if it were the first time. Unfortunately my VHS copy was mislaid and it was time to replace it so I was delighted to see it released in DVD format from Criterion.I was very pleased with the much improved video quality but I was not happy with the re mixed audio tracks, with the removal of tracks such as Matta, Deep blue day, Weightless and Understars 2. In my view (and some others) this is to the detriment of the film, ruining the atmosphere of the BBC original. I recently obtained a VHS version from 1992 (World Island Video) and also imported a 1989 Lasrdisc version (Voyager) but unfortunately they are as the DVD. I am beginning to wonder if their are any official versions of the 1989 BBC showing? If not, I would be interested in obtaining the audio of the original and could at least play that alongside the DVD video footage!
This is all true,and while this is years later in posting this, I love this movie, love it on Blu-Ray, but I have also wondered if I can find a copy of the 1983 original. I find the music haunting in places ("Ascend" finds a primal, emotional place in me for some reason), and for all the Apollo footage I have watched, I think I would love to have experienced the original release. I love the 1989 version, but I actually remember reading about this movie coming out in 1983, and just plain forgot to see it - it was over in Dallas, and was a much shorter run than I expected. I went looking around some last night, but couldn't find even an old VHS copy up on an auction site. I would love to see this in the original form, if at all possible.

giovannii84

#27 Post by giovannii84 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:52 am

Does anyone have the Masters of Cinema edition of "For All Mankind"?
http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalo ... l-mankind/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wanting to know which version of Bean's artwork gallery they have used? If it is the original version with 32 paintings, or the re-issue with 24?

vsski

#28 Post by vsski » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 am

giovannii84 wrote:Does anyone have the Masters of Cinema edition of "For All Mankind"?
http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalo ... l-mankind/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wanting to know which version of Bean's artwork gallery they have used? If it is the original version with 32 paintings, or the re-issue with 24?
The MoC version has Bean talking about 25 of his paintings. The painting called "A Delicate Balance" is not on the CC, otherwise the two pieces are identical content wise. The other difference is that the CC has the 24 paitings all indexed and accessible individually, while the MoC shows the paintings with commentary as one continuous piece.