1002 Betty Blue

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Roscoe

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#26 Post by Roscoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:17 pm
Big shame, as I have yet to watch the original cut, but at 3 hours this is simply grating and unnecessary
I found it grating and unnecessary at two hours. An extra hour -- non, merci.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#27 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm
The real question is if Criterion is going to resurrect Moon in the Gutter from obscurity as well? (Same rights holder as BB, and in desperate need of a new restoration/transfer/critical reappraisal)
Already out on Blu-Ray in the states from Cinema Libre, which also released the theatrical cut of this on Blu (which is presumably why it’s not included here)

nitin

#28 Post by nitin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Going by the description, looks to be the same older master used on overseas blu releases.

dustysomers

#29 Post by dustysomers » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
The real question is if Criterion is going to resurrect Moon in the Gutter from obscurity as well? (Same rights holder as BB, and in desperate need of a new restoration/transfer/critical reappraisal)
Already out on Blu-Ray in the states from Cinema Libre, which also released the theatrical cut of this on Blu (which is presumably why it’s not included here)
The Cinema Libre Moon in the Gutter Blu is one of the worst I've ever seen. Their Betty Blue Blu also has some issues, including some kind of awful filtering that makes it look like motion smoothing is on.

DRW.mov

#30 Post by DRW.mov » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm

dustysomers wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
The Cinema Libre Moon in the Gutter Blu is one of the worst I've ever seen. Their Betty Blue Blu also has some issues, including some kind of awful filtering that makes it look like motion smoothing is on.
Exactly what I’m referring to. The Betty Blue disc wasn’t great but Moon is in even worse shape. Could really stand to use a Criterion overhaul.

Rupert Pupkin

#31 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm

so, since it's approved by J.J Beneix, it's only the "extended cut" ?

from what I can remember, the "extended cut" was not shown in theatres after several years. It was only available on VHS.

I tend to prefer the extended cut... But for all those people who fell in love with Béatrice Dalle and this movie this is the theatrical cut they had seen.

I had buy the UK Blu-Ray which is pretty good in terms of picture quality (I hope that Criterion will do better) and has the 2 cuts. But I have to admit, that since I had the choice I ut the extended cut (refresh my mind please, the theatrical cut was perhaps not restored for blu-ray and only put on this UK release as a DVD ???)

bringmesomechemicals

#32 Post by bringmesomechemicals » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 pm

The two-hour cut of the film is available to watch on the Criterion Channel.

colinr0380

#33 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

I have just realised that now we can all do a Criterion double bill of Betty Blue and In The Realm of the Senses, which complement each other quite nicely!

movielocke

#34 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:35 am

Watched the two hour cut on the channel, probably won’t watch the three hour. Sort of wanted to dislike it at times, but the marvelous sense of color and visual design combined with the excellent performances and occasional superb humor (the foldaway bed) made the whole thing moderately enjoyable even though it’s at times very draggy and weakly paced.

Having now seen it, that cover art is seriously underwhelming.