1002 Betty Blue

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Message
Author
User avatar
Roscoe
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:40 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#26 Post by Roscoe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:17 pm
Big shame, as I have yet to watch the original cut, but at 3 hours this is simply grating and unnecessary
I found it grating and unnecessary at two hours. An extra hour -- non, merci.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#27 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm
The real question is if Criterion is going to resurrect Moon in the Gutter from obscurity as well? (Same rights holder as BB, and in desperate need of a new restoration/transfer/critical reappraisal)
Already out on Blu-Ray in the states from Cinema Libre, which also released the theatrical cut of this on Blu (which is presumably why it’s not included here)

nitin
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 am

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#28 Post by nitin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Going by the description, looks to be the same older master used on overseas blu releases.

User avatar
dustysomers
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#29 Post by dustysomers » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm
The real question is if Criterion is going to resurrect Moon in the Gutter from obscurity as well? (Same rights holder as BB, and in desperate need of a new restoration/transfer/critical reappraisal)
Already out on Blu-Ray in the states from Cinema Libre, which also released the theatrical cut of this on Blu (which is presumably why it’s not included here)
The Cinema Libre Moon in the Gutter Blu is one of the worst I've ever seen. Their Betty Blue Blu also has some issues, including some kind of awful filtering that makes it look like motion smoothing is on.

User avatar
DRW.mov
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#30 Post by DRW.mov » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm

dustysomers wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:47 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:14 pm
DRW.mov wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm
The real question is if Criterion is going to resurrect Moon in the Gutter from obscurity as well? (Same rights holder as BB, and in desperate need of a new restoration/transfer/critical reappraisal)
Already out on Blu-Ray in the states from Cinema Libre, which also released the theatrical cut of this on Blu (which is presumably why it’s not included here)
The Cinema Libre Moon in the Gutter Blu is one of the worst I've ever seen. Their Betty Blue Blu also has some issues, including some kind of awful filtering that makes it look like motion smoothing is on.
Exactly what I’m referring to. The Betty Blue disc wasn’t great but Moon is in even worse shape. Could really stand to use a Criterion overhaul.

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#31 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 pm

so, since it's approved by J.J Beneix, it's only the "extended cut" ?

from what I can remember, the "extended cut" was not shown in theatres after several years. It was only available on VHS.

I tend to prefer the extended cut... But for all those people who fell in love with Béatrice Dalle and this movie this is the theatrical cut they had seen.

I had buy the UK Blu-Ray which is pretty good in terms of picture quality (I hope that Criterion will do better) and has the 2 cuts. But I have to admit, that since I had the choice I ut the extended cut (refresh my mind please, the theatrical cut was perhaps not restored for blu-ray and only put on this UK release as a DVD ???)

User avatar
bringmesomechemicals
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#32 Post by bringmesomechemicals » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:12 pm

The two-hour cut of the film is available to watch on the Criterion Channel.

User avatar
colinr0380
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm
Location: Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, UK

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#33 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

I have just realised that now we can all do a Criterion double bill of Betty Blue and In The Realm of the Senses, which complement each other quite nicely!

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#34 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:35 am

Watched the two hour cut on the channel, probably won’t watch the three hour. Sort of wanted to dislike it at times, but the marvelous sense of color and visual design combined with the excellent performances and occasional superb humor (the foldaway bed) made the whole thing moderately enjoyable even though it’s at times very draggy and weakly paced.

Having now seen it, that cover art is seriously underwhelming.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#35 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:16 am

I watched the 3+ hour version and I was willing to give the film a lot of rope because it was reasonably entertaining for the first two hours or so, but a meandering film like this can't sustain a long running time and the last hour is one of slow realization that the filmmaker has nothing else to say but wants to keep on going. Easy to see why this was categorized with Besson's very thematically similar Subway, given that both are transparently youth-centered films all about Individuality and Being A Kooky Original At All Costs (which mostly just looks like being an asshole to everyone). I found this film's cavalier attitude about Dalle's obvious mental illness rather troubling, and neither the protagonist nor the film seems to consider it as more than at a fetishization level. Even when the plot makes it clear how unwell Dalle is, what with all the kidnapping and self-mutilation and whatnot, the characters and film still romanticize her, even going so far as to lift one of the most famous endings of all time in a rather unearned gesture towards riding the coattails of another counter-cultural artifact.

User avatar
DRW.mov
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#36 Post by DRW.mov » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:36 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:16 am
I watched the 3+ hour version and I was willing to give the film a lot of rope because it was reasonably entertaining for the first two hours or so, but a meandering film like this can't sustain a long running time and the last hour is one of slow realization that the filmmaker has nothing else to say but wants to keep on going. Easy to see why this was categorized with Besson's very thematically similar Subway, given that both are transparently youth-centered films all about Individuality and Being A Kooky Original At All Costs (which mostly just looks like being an asshole to everyone). I found this film's cavalier attitude about Dalle's obvious mental illness rather troubling, and neither the protagonist nor the film seems to consider it as more than at a fetishization level. Even when the plot makes it clear how unwell Dalle is, what with all the kidnapping and self-mutilation and whatnot, the characters and film still romanticize her, even going so far as to lift one of the most famous endings of all time in a rather unearned gesture towards riding the coattails of another counter-cultural artifact.
Which other famous ending are you referring to?

Rupert Pupkin
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#37 Post by Rupert Pupkin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:19 am

.../...

User avatar
barryconvex
billy..biff..scooter....tommy
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: NYC

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#38 Post by barryconvex » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:38 am

DRW.mov wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:36 am
domino harvey wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:16 am
I watched the 3+ hour version and I was willing to give the film a lot of rope because it was reasonably entertaining for the first two hours or so, but a meandering film like this can't sustain a long running time and the last hour is one of slow realization that the filmmaker has nothing else to say but wants to keep on going. Easy to see why this was categorized with Besson's very thematically similar Subway, given that both are transparently youth-centered films all about Individuality and Being A Kooky Original At All Costs (which mostly just looks like being an asshole to everyone). I found this film's cavalier attitude about Dalle's obvious mental illness rather troubling, and neither the protagonist nor the film seems to consider it as more than at a fetishization level. Even when the plot makes it clear how unwell Dalle is, what with all the kidnapping and self-mutilation and whatnot, the characters and film still romanticize her, even going so far as to lift one of the most famous endings of all time in a rather unearned gesture towards riding the coattails of another counter-cultural artifact.
Which other famous ending are you referring to?
I'm going to spoiler tag it as it will ruin the end of Betty for any who have not seen it. I'm pretty sure Dom is referring to:
SpoilerShow
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#39 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:16 am
I watched the 3+ hour version and I was willing to give the film a lot of rope because it was reasonably entertaining for the first two hours or so, but a meandering film like this can't sustain a long running time and the last hour is one of slow realization that the filmmaker has nothing else to say but wants to keep on going. Easy to see why this was categorized with Besson's very thematically similar Subway, given that both are transparently youth-centered films all about Individuality and Being A Kooky Original At All Costs (which mostly just looks like being an asshole to everyone). I found this film's cavalier attitude about Dalle's obvious mental illness rather troubling, and neither the protagonist nor the film seems to consider it as more than at a fetishization level. Even when the plot makes it clear how unwell Dalle is, what with all the kidnapping and self-mutilation and whatnot, the characters and film still romanticize her, even going so far as to lift one of the most famous endings of all time in a rather unearned gesture towards riding the coattails of another counter-cultural artifact.
Everyone who worked on this film should thank you for being so charitable to this narcissistic garbage. The film is so offensive beyond just the depiction of mental health, reducing a person, significantly a woman, to a distanced male-centric two-dimensional figure, entirely diluted in what the camera shows us to sex appeal and “crazy” mental health symptoms. Popsicle sucking, junk grabbing, flirting seven thousand ways to Sunday, spontaneous violence and self-harm with no apparent trigger from our victimized “hero” (who couldn’t possibly be at fault for staying in the relationship, no he isn’t even a slightly responsibility participant in his situation, and the film has to force the character into extremely immoral and uncharacteristic situations to issue him with blame- as if there aren’t more authentic ways to do this within the context of the relationship already established), and when we actually get her spouting some feminist advocacy it comes off simplified and tossed to the side as complaining that she doesn’t just want sex, as if to label her a hypocritical nuisance and close the door on any chance she had to share her perspective, though that would warrant a character to exist in the first place.

The fact that the film itself fetishizes her and robs her of any worth or agency enables the characters who do so within the film to get off the hook and even be validated with a nudge. How does one make a film over three hours long and keep all characters underdeveloped? That stagnation has to be harder than actually allowing them to grow naturally! What a sick, sick film. I can’t even get into the mental health portrait or else I’ll somersault into a rabbit hole of anger, but it’s safe to say that if you struggle with mental health issues and are offended when people go back to the Stone Age and utilize the ‘moral model’ to condescend your worth and equal status, avoid this at all costs. I’ve had plenty of long-term, even arguably traumatic, relationships with women who have similar profiles, diagnostics and behavior, but I would never claim that the person had as little worth as this one seems to, skewing them into an alien categorization that’s less than human, while promoting my own innocence (not to mention issuing any romantic partner a sealed fate as a capable objective judge, reducing their agency to that of an insentient object, a fitting cap to this story and one that’s sadly in step with its themes. He even gropes her while she’s unconscious, talking about their sexual future as their last “dramatically tragic” interaction. You can’t make this shit up). This is one of the most anti-humanist, sexist, condescending and irresponsible films I’ve ever seen. This film doesn’t believe in rehabilitation or change from mental health crises, at least not for women. This film becomes the position of toxic masculinity. Criterion feels comfortable announcing this but The House That Jack Built is too risky? Did they even watch the movie? What a time to be alive. I don’t believe in artistic censorship, but I’d make a deal with the devil to buy 500 copies of Border Radio to wipe this piece of “art” off the face of the earth.

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#40 Post by domino harvey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:03 pm

It's okay because we see his penis a lot

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#41 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 am

Stumbled upon Ebert’s review, and felt this part was particularly astute:
Have you ever had the experience of going to a movie and trying to make sense of the plot, and trying to figure out why anyone has wasted his life and money on the project, only to suddenly have a dazzling insight? That's what happened to me during "Betty Blue." Reviews have been written debating the movie's view of madness, of feminism, of the travail of the artist. They all miss the point. "Betty Blue" is a movie about Beatrice Dalle's boobs and behind, and everything else is just what happens in between the scenes where she displays them.

User avatar
TMDaines
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#42 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Need to watch this now.

User avatar
movielocke
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:44 am

1002 Betty Blue

#43 Post by movielocke » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:38 am

Well that ebert excerpt is pretty on point

User avatar
schellenbergk
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Re: 1002 Betty Blue

#44 Post by schellenbergk » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:01 am

This was certainly a pleasant surprise - I loved Diva when it came out and have seen it many times, but had never gotten around to Betty Blue. I loved the film - and while it was certainly long, I wouldn't have cut a minute of it. Great release!

Post Reply