1001 The Daytrippers

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
swo17

1001 The Daytrippers

#1 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm

The Daytrippers

With its droll humor and bittersweet emotional heft, the feature debut of writer-director Greg Mottola announced the arrival of an unassumingly sharp-witted new talent on the 1990s indie scene. When she discovers a love letter written to her husband (Stanley Tucci) by an unknown paramour, the distraught Eliza (Hope Davis) turns to her tight-knit Long Island family for advice. Soon the entire clan—strong-willed mom (Anne Meara), taciturn dad (Pat McNamara), and jaded sister (Parker Posey) with pretentious boyfriend (Liev Schreiber) in tow—has squeezed into a station wagon and headed into Manhattan to find out the truth, kicking off a one-crazy-day odyssey full of unexpected detours and life-changing revelations. Performed with deadpan virtuosity by a top-flight ensemble cast, The Daytrippers is a wry and piercing look at family bonds stretched to the breaking point.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Greg Mottola, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New audio commentary featuring Mottola, editor Anne McCabe, and producer Steven Soderbergh
• New interviews with Mottola and cast members Hope Davis, Parker Posey, Liev Schreiber, and Campbell Scott
The Hatbox, a 1985 short film by Mottola, with audio commentary by the director
• PLUS: An essay by critic Emily Nussbaum

The Narrator Returns

Re: 1001 The Daytrippers

#2 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm

New Soderbergh commentary!!!

swo17

#3 Post by swo17 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:10 pm

One of the great movies about mirrors

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm

I do hope this ends any future speculation that Criterion cares about spine numbers

Gregory

#5 Post by Gregory » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:42 pm

This is a pleasant surprise, a film I like quite a lot and will enjoy see getting its just desserts. It's remained an unjustly obscure mid-90s film. for example, it appears to have 22 reviews on Amazon, whereas Mottola's next feature, Superbad, has 753. And it sorely needed a fresh release, as the old DVD was reformatted to 1.33:1.

I remembered there being some discussion of this movie in this thread by Cold Bishop, The Disintegrating Comedy. Looking through it again, there's less discussion of The Daytrippers than I thought, but it's an interesting framework in which to think about the film.

jazzo

#6 Post by jazzo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 pm

What a cover by the great R. Kikuo Johnson!!

bearcuborg

#7 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm

I saw this because of a Woody Allen interview, where he wondered where the filmmakers found the energy to shoot this in 2 weeks. I suppose that’s a reasonable question, but I never saw anything interesting in this movie that made it more than passable. Still, I have a fondness for 90s indie cinema, so I’m curious about the commentary and interviews.

therewillbeblus

#8 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:46 pm

I tried this again after a forgettable first watch years ago, and found it much more amusing with some cute and dry comic moments. I was left wanting more from some of the scenes that populated the trip, which could be thin or scarce, falling short in potential at times for the possibilities of colorful interactions in pit stops with this family. The ending was very strong, however, and the film overall felt very genuine to its characters and their behaviors, who embodied the authentic quirks and honest responses, humorous and dramatic, that fleshed them out as real people in such a short runtime. I don’t know if I’d pick this up on its own but with the extras, especially that new commentary, this looks like a great package.

FrauBlucher

#9 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 am

I watched this earlier in the week. Thankfully this won’t be a blind buy. I’m usually a big fan of New York centric films, but this one left me flat. Ann Meara summoned up her version of an unlikeable Edith Bunker. It had moments but mostly I just didn’t find the humor. The dramatic reveal of an ending was the best and most effective part of the film.