DONATE AND HELP IN OUR SITE OVERHAUL/UPDATE

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: DONATE AND HELP IN OUR SITE OVERHAUL/UPDATE

#26 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm Allison Williams if I'm anyone from Girls

cdnchris
Site Admin

#27 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Drucker wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:15 pm
I donated 35 dollars I would like 1.5 rewards please
I will give you a custom rank and then cut your user name in half. You will be now known as Dru.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#28 Post by Drucker » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:58 pm

The free market works baby.

Perkins Cobb

#29 Post by Perkins Cobb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Is there a reward tier for putting the avatars back on the other side?

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#30 Post by Lemdog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Donated, don't need a custom ranking or name change. Just don't shut the place down. I know I never post, but I read the forum daily. This is a major resource for film knowledge and has been invaluable to me. Worth the $25.

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#31 Post by soundchaser » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm

bfaison wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:00 pm
Is there really a steady flow of new users who stick around here on a regular basis, enough so that you feel comfortable asking for their money? Why not just get this sorted out in PM with the various forms of Lena Dunham who moderate the forums?
Well, the brilliant contributions like this certainly make things worthwhile...

I know this place doesn’t need defending, but it’s absolutely the most comprehensive film resource I’ve run across, with consistently high-level discussions and information. It is, without a doubt, worth what Chris is asking and more.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#32 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm
I'm Allison Williams if I'm anyone from Girls
I'm so glad I don't know what this means beyond recognizing the names

Matt

Re: HELP IN OUR SITE OVERHAUL/UPDATE

#33 Post by Matt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:23 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:54 pm
Is there any sort of message? Also, are you using a card payment or a PayPal account?
I logged into my PayPal account and tried to use two different bank accounts to pay. Both were denied. I finally used a credit card payment via PayPal and it went through.

We need a tote board like on the old telethons.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#34 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Definitely appreciate it and sorry for the trouble! I'll see if I can track why there were issues, I'm guessing it's on my end but not sure what it would be.

There is actually an extension for PHPBB that is like a telethon board but I couldn't get it working quickly. So I'll have to find an alternative method.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#35 Post by Omensetter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Couldn't donate quick enough---I've been lurking/posting since my senior year of high school when I "broke" the news that Criterion was going to release Clean, Shaven ( \:D/ ), initially under Christmas Cyclops (while trying to discern the user name origins I assumed it was a Fiery Furnaces lyric; I probably just liked the alliteration), before that account got deleted in a sweep (or so I thought). I genuinely use this as a resource and try to post when I can and I would greatly prefer it continues to exist.

It seems a bit lame to give oneself their own custom title, so if the braintrust wants to fashion one, they can.

knives

#36 Post by knives » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 pm
Is there a reward tier for putting the avatars back on the other side?
It can only be earned by people with avatars.

movielocke

#37 Post by movielocke » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm

what about patreon? I'll donate, but I'd also subscribe to like $5 a month, so you'd get sixty out of me over a year, rather than a measly $25. ;)

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#38 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

It sounded like Chris was reluctant enough to do even this much fundraising, so it seems unlikely... but I'll throw out there that I'd absolutely do this too if it ever became necessary to defray upkeep/hosting costs. Or to further the Brain Trust's secret plans for world domination. Whichever.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#39 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Made it over a $1000!

I'm very surprised and very appreciative. If you haven't heard from me yet about incentives I'll be getting to you at some point this evening through PM.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:47 pm

I should have thought out this commitment,
here goes nothing (except resentment)

DarkImbecile
LightGenius

#41 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Now I think our clear directive is to try to engage with the hottest of takes on as many topics dear to domino as possible for the next week. I personally hope a bunch of bizarre cereal flavors and new McDonald’s breakfast sandwiches are released tomorrow, and that everyone seeks out an Emmanuel Mouret movie and posts strong opinions ASAP

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#42 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 am

Well, rhymed or not,
still a good thought:
we all should spend every day
watching Emmanuel Mouret!

swo17

#43 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:25 am

If we get to $2000 it has to be in iambic pentameter

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#44 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:35 am

Only if we can then get all these posts combined into an Infighting thread titled "Shakes's Peer" or somesuch.

A man stayed-put

#45 Post by A man stayed-put » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 am

How long will you be running this for (need to get the other side of pay day before I can properly contribute)?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#46 Post by tenia » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 am

There was a question about what we'd like to see as new features, and I'd say native HD screencaps. It always surprised me how the reviews here don't have some save for a few selected reviews, while the number of reviews and screencaps remain limited enough so that a relatively small server would do to host this. I generated about 500 reviews x 15 screencaps for Retro HD, and we still operate on a small server basis (though I don't know how the prices are for hosting servers in the US compared to France).
This is probably, for me, the one last thing missing to make the reviews complete (though I'm fond of BD Info disc scans).
Lemdog wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Donated, don't need a custom ranking or name change. Just don't shut the place down. I know I never post, but I read the forum daily. This is a major resource for film knowledge and has been invaluable to me. Worth the $25.
I'll donate just to ensure this is kept alive so we'll keep reading reddit's or blu-ray.com's member ranting about how this board and its moderators are unbearable. \:D/
movielocke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm
what about patreon? I'll donate, but I'd also subscribe to like $5 a month, so you'd get sixty out of me over a year, rather than a measly $25. ;)
I never had this before but it seem Paypal actually offers to do a monthly donation if you have a Paypal account.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#47 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 am

A man stayed-put wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 am
How long will you be running this for (need to get the other side of pay day before I can properly contribute)?
Until I hit the target amount or around August 15th (giving it a month), whichever comes first. Surprisingly I'm half way there already.
tenia wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:39 am
There was a question about what we'd like to see as new features, and I'd say native HD screencaps. It always surprised me how the reviews here don't have some save for a few selected reviews, while the number of reviews and screencaps remain limited enough so that a relatively small server would do to host this. I generated about 500 reviews x 15 screencaps for Retro HD, and we still operate on a small server basis (though I don't know how the prices are for hosting servers in the US compared to France).
This is probably, for me, the one last thing missing to make the reviews complete (though I'm fond of BD Info disc scans).
Whether I use it or not the functionality will be there so that I can easily do that. When I originally wrote the site I only had DVD in mind and so to offer optional full-res grabs I have to hack things a bit which ends up being a little time consuming. Space was an issue at one point but won't be later.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#48 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:03 pm

R0lf wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am
Or, a LIKE button?
Or a button for "This movie sucks but I don't want to elaborate why." No counter on how many people are clicking it, just have the button there for those who feel like they need it.

Werewolf by Night

#49 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm

^ LIKE

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#50 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Not sure if I ever shared this opinion but I've never liked the idea of having a "like" button here. So much good discussion comes out of people having to come out and say what they're thinking about this or that, and if they can just tap a button and move on, I think it'll stifle some of the substantive discussion that occurs here.