1204 Trainspotting

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

1204 Trainspotting

#1 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm

Trainspotting

A jolt of adrenaline shot straight to the heart of 1990s British cinema, this darkly funny adaptation of Irvine Welsh's novel was a major breakthrough for director Danny Boyle, producer Andrew Macdonald, and screenwriter John Hodge. With live-wire energy and stylistic verve, Trainspotting bounces across the life and times of Mark Renton (Ewan McGregor), a Scottish heroin addict who, along with his misfit mates, gets high, gets in trouble, gets clean, and gets high again, all in a bid to outrun the banality of modern existence. Kinetically cut to an iconic soundtrack of techno, rock, and Britpop, this indie phenomenon chooses life in all its ugly, beautiful, terrifying exhilaration.

FILMMAKER-APPROVED 4K UHD + BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Danny Boyle, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
• Alternate 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
• Audio commentary featuring Boyle, producer Andrew Macdonald, screenwriter John Hodge, and actor Ewan McGregor
• Nine deleted scenes with commentary from the filmmakers
Off the Rails: The Making of "Trainspotting," a documentary featuring archival interviews with cast and crew and behind-the-scenes footage
Memories of "Trainspotting," a documentary from 2008 featuring the filmmakers and actors McGregor, Kelly Macdonald, Ewen Bremner, and Robert Carlyle
• Reflections from soundtrack artists Iggy Pop, Jarvis Cocker, Bobby Gillespie, Damon Albarn, Leftfield, Underworld, and more
• Theatrical teaser and trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• More!
• PLUS: Essays by critic Graham Fuller and author Irvine Welsh, Welsh’s glossary of terms from the film and book, and glow-in-the-dark packaging

shiftyeyes

Re: 1204 Trainspotting

#2 Post by shiftyeyes » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:25 pm

This is one of my most wanted upgrades and one of my favorite films! Been hoping they'd announce this each month for the last decade so very excited to see it finally announced today. :D

Randall Maysin Again

#3 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:34 pm

Criterion missed a great opportunity for a slipcover covered in (images of) mounds of feces. Then, you take it off, and the feces are gone!! Yay!!

ryannichols7

#4 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:27 pm

I don't think I've ever said much about this film on here, but it's one very near and dear to me. of all the "big ticket" 90s films that get overinflated reputations based on nostalgia, this is easily the best one for my measure. one has to wonder if its reputation would be even stronger if Boyle, McGregor, etc had kept their talents in check instead of what they're doing nowadays. T2: Trainspotting was a miracle, honestly - count me in as a big fan of that one too, a very measured take on aging and moving forward with life after youthful exuberance (amongst tragedy and poor circumstances). this release comes almost 12 years after Shallow Grave came to Bluray (another outstanding film), and back then it made little sense for Trainspotting to be released by Criterion (though its trailer appeared on the Shallow Grave disc, showing how SG's success got them the latter film). the Miramax disc had all of the features from the Criterion laserdisc and looked pretty good. now, in the 4K, post-Weinstein era, its return is timely and excellent. as much as I complain about this label, I'm very glad they're bringing this to us and this really is as good of an edition as it gets, though they still promise "More!"

dream newly added extra: a piece about the British New Wave influences (among others) on this film. since I last revisited it, I've seen Billy Liar, The Knack, etc that this movie all clearly lovingly pay tribute to.
swo17 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:01 pm

Memories of "Trainspotting," a documentary from 2008 featuring the filmmakers and actors McGregor, Kelly Macdonald, Ewen Bremner, and Robert Carlyle
• Reflections from soundtrack artists Iggy Pop, Jarvis Cocker, Bobby Gillespie, Damon Albarn, Leftfield, Underworld, and more
are these on any other disc? I don't recall ever seeing them. I'm really glad to see the artists from the soundtrack interviewed - Blur, Pulp, New Order, Underworld etc remain some of my favorite artists working to this day. this almost makes up for lack of anything about Brian Eno at all on For All Mankind, though he certainly could appear here too! ultimate dream would be to have Noel Gallagher come on board, since Oasis didn't contribute for....reasons...

yoloswegmaster

#5 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:49 pm

Color-timing discourse is back on the menu, courtesy of the dweebs on the site formerly known as Twitter. The kicker is that someone uploaded footage from a 35mm screening in 2018 and the colors look much closer to the new release. Granted the video was recorded from what appears to be a phone but I doubt it's altering the colors that drastically.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#6 Post by cdnchris » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:00 pm

There was another tweet where someone posted photos from various releases through the years to point out how drastically different the colours were in each. The magentas in that first one are off the charts, so I pretty much dismiss it immediately.

ryannichols7

#7 Post by ryannichols7 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:40 pm

cdnchris wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:00 pm
There was another tweet where someone posted photos from various releases through the years to point out how drastically different the colours were in each. The magentas in that first one are off the charts, so I pretty much dismiss it immediately.
this is that tweet in question, and I side with this guy completely. this seems to be a problem with largely 90s films, where people insist the version they got to see first is the correct one...Three Colors notably went through it. Glasgow is supposed to be gritty! the new stills seem to match the look of Shallow Grave, and I don't think that's by coincidence...

shiftyeyes

#8 Post by shiftyeyes » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:11 am

ryannichols7 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:27 pm
are these on any other disc? I don't recall ever seeing them.
I'm not sure about the interviews with the music artists, but "Memories of Trainspotting" is a 45 minute documentary that appeared on the 2009 UK Blu-ray release from Film4. I actually picked up that disc just for this documentary! It's nice to get a nice retrospective now and then. And it's been another 15 years, so it'd be great if Criterion could do something new. But then again, I guess that's what T2 essentially was - one big retrospective!