893 Certain Women

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
cdnchris
Site Admin

Re: 893 Certain Women

#51 Post by cdnchris » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:13 pm

The author is from the Pacific Northwest and the stories take place there but I believe the film takes place in Montana.

knives

#52 Post by knives » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Cool, thanks.

Edit: Just took a look at the Stewart segment again, and of course right at the beginning there's a big map of Montana in the background. That makes me feel a little foolish.

palefire

#53 Post by palefire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:20 am

What was this shot on? Something about the way this film was shot was very distracting to my eyes. It was almost like I was watching a tv with the 120hz setting still on. Does anyone know if this was shot an unusual frame rate or something?

mistakaninja

#54 Post by mistakaninja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 am

16mm. She conducted digital test shoots but didn't like the look so reverted to 16mm.

palefire

#55 Post by palefire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:36 pm

mistakaninja wrote:16mm. She conducted digital test shoots but didn't like the look so reverted to 16mm.
That shouldn't do it. That is so weird. I wonder if something was wrong with my disc.

Big Ben

#56 Post by Big Ben » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

knives wrote:Where is this film supposed to be set (if it was mentioned I didn't pick it up). The land seems as much a main character here as anyone else with the grass, mountains, and small town malls Reichardt evokes something really specific that with even, and only, the slightest change of scenery would make a radically different film. It feels to me like eastern Washington, but I could also see western PA or some place like that.
If anyone is interested here is where they shot specifically. Living where I do I can tell you that they shot within a little over an hour of my home. There are acutually spoiler there so be careful.

Montana geographically ranges from very mountainous to very flat and can do so very quickly and shooting a film here is a very deliberate choice because we don't offer tax credits (An absolutely dumb as shit decision.). But because there aren't a ton of people living here compared to other states you'll find we get a lot of second unit shooting done here particularly near Bozeman. They even shot some footage for one of the Narnia films here!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#57 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm

blueyes wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 pm
Hello forum

I am having a very strange experience watching this blu-ray (uk edition). The image looks terrible in motion. If I freeze, the image looks quite good, grainy and detailed, but in motion everything looks waxy and there is a constant problem with what I guess is usually called "mooring" (but I may be dead wrong on that). I actually found myself getting slightly sea-sick after some 15 min, and no doubt it was caused by the strange image properties.

Anyone else has this experience, or could this be a faulty disc/batch of discs? Thanks!
Just watched this and it has the same white noise problem as outlined in this thread

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Forthcoming: Certain Women

#58 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:42 pm
SpoilerShow
swo17 wrote:If you've been paying close attention, there is also a fourth story, about a girl who had a dog for a while until it died. But that girl made that dog into a star. And then dedicated this film to her.
Thank you for pointing this out. Upon reflection I realized that we see both the Laura Dern and Lily Gladstone characters' relationships with their dogs.

Is there also a dog in the Michelle Williams section? I can't recall.
Not sure this really qualifies as a spoiler but
SpoilerShow
Yes, one of the guests at the cookout where Michelle Williams grills up burgers feeds their serving to a dog
Question re: swo's reading
SpoilerShow
What is the evidence that the husband is cheating?

ng4996
the Wizard of Ozu

Re: Forthcoming: Certain Women

#59 Post by ng4996 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:36 pm
ianthemovie wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:42 pm
SpoilerShow
swo17 wrote:If you've been paying close attention, there is also a fourth story, about a girl who had a dog for a while until it died. But that girl made that dog into a star. And then dedicated this film to her.
Thank you for pointing this out. Upon reflection I realized that we see both the Laura Dern and Lily Gladstone characters' relationships with their dogs.

Is there also a dog in the Michelle Williams section? I can't recall.
Not sure this really qualifies as a spoiler but
SpoilerShow
Yes, one of the guests at the cookout where Michelle Williams grills up burgers feeds their serving to a dog
Question re: swo's reading
SpoilerShow
What is the evidence that the husband is cheating?
SpoilerShow
He's in bed with Dern toward the beginning

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#60 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Oh duh! Thanks

Walter Kurtz

#61 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:36 pm

I caught up with this film on Kanopy. The first section was okay. I love Williams but the second section wasn't enough of anything for me. Reminded me of the beginning of the relationship in K's Red.

The third section? If I ever get elected as Absolute Dictator of this country my first act will be to convene the Academy, put the show on every cable and broadcast channel live in prime time, and award a Short Film Oscar to Reichardt.

Walter Kurtz

#62 Post by Walter Kurtz » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:46 pm

PS. I don't see the third piece as a lesbian infatuation. One can read it that way if one wants to and that would work fine. I just see it as a terribly lonely person starving for a connection with another human being... and fascinated by a terribly awkward woman who is in a position of seeming leadership and working in a job totally foreign to Gladstone's own.

therewillbeblus

#63 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:55 pm

Yeah, most people I know who saw the film when it came out still vividly remember the Gladstone Oscar snub as an incomprehensible oversight. I'm more or less with you on how I feel about the sections, even if I like the first more. I think there's a sexual attraction there, but it's really about loneliness, connection, and most of all - a meditation on the sadness of the emotionally intelligent, ultra-perceptive but introverted personality type, for being able to see so much of someone and want to connect so deeply, and yet so much exposure to non-reciprocal engagement. There's a reason Gladstone works with animals - it's safe, there's unconditional affection and she can fulfill that loving role and must rely on those perceptive skills to care for them. It's when she goes out in the social world with other people, that she gets let down.