217 Tokyo Story

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: 217 Tokyo Story

#176 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm

My copy of the new Japanese Blu-Ray should arrive today. This will be my 7th (or so) different copy of Tokyo Story. ;~} (No other film has been re-bought so often by me).

artfilmfan

#177 Post by artfilmfan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:My copy of the new Japanese Blu-Ray should arrive today. This will be my 7th (or so) different copy of Tokyo Story. ;~} (No other film has been re-bought so often by me).
How is the picture quality of this Japanese Blu-ray, Michael?

I think Criterion will eventually release a Blu-ray of this film, probably using the same restoration. However, going by their Tokyo Story DVD and Late Spring DVD & Blu-ray, the image of their releases tends to be harsh (compared to the image on the Japanese DVDs).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#178 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 pm

Mostly this looked very good. Much more sense of depth in many scenes. More gradation between white and black. Sometimes looked a bit harsh. No direct comparisons done by me yet. I suspect the film is not likely to look much better than this. Some unsubtitled dialog here and there, alas (though mostly stuff I could understand).

manicsounds

#179 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:Mostly this looked very good. Much more sense of depth in many scenes. More gradation between white and black. Sometimes looked a bit harsh. No direct comparisons done by me yet. I suspect the film is not likely to look much better than this. Some unsubtitled dialog here and there, alas (though mostly stuff I could understand).
Sounds like what I watched on the big screen. The Criterion DVD had better more complete English subtitles.

artfilmfan

#180 Post by artfilmfan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks for the report, Michael.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#181 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:42 am

If someone comes up with a Blu that has at least the same image quality, plus better subs and some really good extras, I guess I will have to buy an 8th version...

Finch

#182 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:50 pm

How would you say the BFI Blu compares to the Japanese disc, Michael? (if you own the UK disc that is)

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#183 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:06 pm

My current recollection of the BFI Blu is that the black to white range was mostly limited shades of gray -- rather like the Criterion DVD (but a bit better). This ranges of real black to real white -- and seems much less murky (not sure how exactly to describe this). I will take another look at the BFI Blu when I get a chance. What this most reminds me of (in terms of overall appearance) were the best parts of the HK VCD (which had a very different look from other sources).

Jack Phillips

#184 Post by Jack Phillips » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:My current recollection of the BFI Blu is that the black to white range was mostly limited shades of gray -- rather like the Criterion DVD (but a bit better). This ranges of real black to real white -- and seems much less murky (not sure how exactly to describe this).
I'll go along with "much less murky." But the hues are also different. The subtitles show up very well, even against white shirts and blouses, because the titles are a different color than the clothing.

Finch

#185 Post by Finch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 pm

thanks Michael. Might have to get the Criterion BD if they do a port of the Japanese BD.

Zot!

#186 Post by Zot! » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:22 am

Can't say it looks like it blows past the BFI in stills, but the review is very positive. Also, I have the BFI, and the damage and stability are definitely an issue, so perhaps this really shines in motion.

Beaver

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#187 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:43 am

Just got my copy in the post. I'm a bit worried about what's in store on the disc as I've seen that they printed the booklet back to front.

Zot!

#188 Post by Zot! » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Just got my copy in the post. I'm a bit worried about what's in store on the disc as I've seen that they printed the booklet back to front.
That's how they read in Japan, so no misprint.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#189 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:49 am

So I can be safe that the film doesn't run backwards?

Matt

#190 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

Well, no. That's how they watch movies in Japan as well.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#191 Post by Brian C » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Yeah, in Japan it's a happy film about old folks reconnecting with the younger generation.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#192 Post by tenia » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Zot! wrote:Can't say it looks like it blows past the BFI in stills, but the review is very positive. Also, I have the BFI, and the damage and stability are definitely an issue, so perhaps this really shines in motion.

Beaver
Beaver caps are what they are, and I'm unsure about this sepia tint, but the gain in details in the dark areas is quite amazing. And, overall, the BFI looks indeed quite boosted and uselessly sharpened in comparison.

colinr0380

#193 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Brian C wrote:Yeah, in Japan it's a happy film about old folks reconnecting with the younger generation.
Time's Arrow must be an incredibly depressing read over there then.

Jeff

#194 Post by Jeff » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

dual-format edition in November 2013

hearthesilence

#195 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Just to be clear, is the BFI dual pack for Tokyo Story still the best way to get Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family? It's pretty cheap, so I'm considering "double dipping" just to get that bonus - i.e. I'm really buying that film and getting a lesser transfer of Tokyo Story as a superfluous add-on.

jsteffe

#196 Post by jsteffe » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Zot! wrote:Can't say it looks like it blows past the BFI in stills, but the review is very positive. Also, I have the BFI, and the damage and stability are definitely an issue, so perhaps this really shines in motion.

Beaver
I hesitate to speculate too much without knowing more about the restoration, but it looks as if the Shochiko Blu-ray is less contrasty, has less damage and less prominent grain as a result of the new digital restoration. It also looks as if it may have lost a small amount detail in the process. That is probably a fair price to pay for a more stable image overall. (Certainly, it doesn't look anything like the Earrings of Madame de... Blu-ray, where the image scrubbing dial appears to have been jacked up to 11.)

shaky

#197 Post by shaky » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:34 pm

It also looks as if it may have lost a small amount detail in the process. That is probably a fair price to pay for a more stable image overall.
It looks that way to me as well. But I'm sure not if such a drawback is worth a more stable image. As I've said though, I think it'll probably be more detailed in motion. A touch nervous about this one.

Matt

#198 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:35 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Just to be clear, is the BFI dual pack for Tokyo Story still the best way to get Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family?
There's Hulu. As much as I adore Ozu, I can't imagine ever wanting to watch Toda Family more than once.

hearthesilence

#199 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Matt wrote:
hearthesilence wrote:Just to be clear, is the BFI dual pack for Tokyo Story still the best way to get Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family?
There's Hulu. As much as I adore Ozu, I can't imagine ever wanting to watch Toda Family more than once.
I've only seen it once, but it was awhile ago before I built up a greater appreciation for Ozu...I still can't settle for streaming video, it's nice for films I want to rent, but for films I like to revisit, analyze, etc. I strongly prefer owning a physical copy. (Navigating through the film alone can be a pain with VOD, especially when you want to do it quickly with greater precision.)

Anyway, the differences between the old and new transfer is stunning. CLEARLY better materials, but my God, the old one looks like film noir in comparison - whatever was done in the dupe process or the transfer itself apparently added and deepened the shadows across their faces and much of the film. The one point of concern is the lack of grain, it does indeed look cleaned up.

andyli

#200 Post by andyli » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:15 pm

Are the images on the new cover made from framegrabs of the 4k restoration? In that case can we see this as an early clue that Criterion will get rid of the tint from Shochiku's master?