846 Heart of a Dog

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Minkin

846 Heart of a Dog

#1 Post by Minkin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:10 pm

Heart of a Dog

Image Image

Heart of a Dog marks the first feature film by multimedia artist Laurie Anderson in over thirty years. A cinematic tone poem that flows from a sustained meditation on death and other forms of absence, the film seamlessly weaves together thoughts on Tibetan Buddhism, reincarnation, the modern surveillance state, and the artistic lives of dogs, with an elegy for the filmmaker's beloved rat terrier, Lolabelle, at its heart. Narrated by Anderson with her characteristic wry wit, and featuring a plaintive, free-form score by the filmmaker, the tender and provocative Heart of a Dog continues Anderson's five-decade career of imbuing the everyday with a sense of dreamlike wonder.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• High-definition digital master, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• New conversation between director Laurie Anderson and coproducer Jake Perlin
• Footage of Anderson's 2016 Concert for Dogs
• Trailer
• PLUS: An essay by film critic Glenn Kenny

Gregory

Re: Criterion on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube

#2 Post by Gregory » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

This one has the best story of any of these I've watched. When she said she was cutting herself off and Tout Va Bien would be the last, I wondered if guests to the closet impose their own limit on how many things they take. Then it turns out,
SpoilerShow
You can take any number you want, but you can never leave. (cue long guitar solo)

Roscoe

Re: Criterion on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube

#3 Post by Roscoe » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:45 pm

Laurie Anderson in the closet -- does that mean that HEART OF A DOG will be joining the collection? Or will it be released by HBO?

bottled spider

Re: The Films of 2015

#4 Post by bottled spider » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:19 am

Heart of a Dog (Laurie Anderson)
A memoir of the life and death of her dog, as the occasion for ruminations on life, death, mourning, the afterlife, the aftermath of 9/11, with some extraordinary reminiscences from her own life. Something of the same form and style as Marker's Level Five (or Sans Soleil), but more playful and personal. One of the highlights of the year for me.

dwk

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#5 Post by dwk » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:39 pm

News from Criterion Cast, Laurie Anderson's Heart of a Dog is going to be available from Criterion's iTunes channel on March 1st

gorgeousnothings

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#6 Post by gorgeousnothings » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:38 pm

That's great news! I loved Heart of a Dog, it reminded me a bit of Sans Soleil.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#7 Post by lacritfan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Laurie Anderson’s Heart of a Dog

From Vudu's website :

beamish13

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#8 Post by beamish13 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:33 pm

That's terrific. I really hope Criterion can release her phenomenal 1986 concert film Home of the Brave, which is no longer held by Warner Bros. As an aside, I saw a screening of it with Anderson and the film's producers earlier this year, and they said it was the first film to have ever had a digital intermediate produced.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

846 Heart of a Dog

#9 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:23 pm

Magic Hate Ball

Re: 846 Heart of a Dog

#10 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Disappointingly slim release.

Red Screamer

#11 Post by Red Screamer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Was hoping for another Christgau extra, oh well.

Magic Hate Ball

#12 Post by Magic Hate Ball » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

I mean, unless there's another Laurie Anderson release coming along (please please Home of the Brave oh god), it's disappointing that they'd put out a barebones release for one of the biggest people in audiovisual performance art, who has literally decades of work that has gone almost totally unseen on home video.

The Narrator Returns

#13 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:27 am

New features:
- Alternate no-music soundtrack
- Deleted scenes
- Lolabelle’s video Christmas card

djproject

#14 Post by djproject » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:26 am

Beaver-Dog

(Afterthought: My play on it makes it look like it's actually a Todd Solondz film instead. This is where people cry for a completely different reason.)

knives

#15 Post by knives » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:46 am

My dog was pretty bored by this, I on the other hand thought it was great. This doesn't reinvent the cine-essay or anything like that, but as an extension of Anderson's work (I was most consistently reminded of 'Language is a Virus') it feels novel enough to be super exciting. It doesn't hurt how polished, entertaining, and smartly structured all the pieces are. There are a number of diversions that go on, especially considering the length, but they all lead back satisfactorily to the ideas of sadness, isolation, and paranoia that Anderson builds off of the dual life of Lolabelle and post-9/11 New York. Definitely one of the funner Criterion releases in a while.

dadaistnun

#16 Post by dadaistnun » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:36 pm

Really dug this, though I kind of wish I had not listened to the album first. That final story she tells about the incident on the ice with her brothers, and her mother’s reaction, turns me into a blubbering mess.

I was surprised at how much the shots of Lou moved me. Never mentioning him by name (until the text dedication at the end) makes his couple of appearances all the more touching, especially the shots on the beach.