794 Inside Llewyn Davis

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
criterion10

Re: Forthcoming: Inside Llewyn Davis

#126 Post by criterion10 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:16 am

I love Inside Llewyn Davis, but the current Blu-Ray is perfectly fine. The extras are going to have to be kicking on this one for me to upgrade.

FrauBlucher

#127 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:12 am

I would think they will have lots of great supplements for the release. Probably a commentary track, a doc on Greenwich Village of the 60s, more folk scene stuff and hopefully the concert footage. Maybe even a Dylan piece, along with interviews.

Ishmael

#128 Post by Ishmael » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:55 am

FrauBlucher wrote:Maybe even a Dylan piece.
Actually, a Dave Van Ronk piece would make more sense.

FrauBlucher

#129 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Thought Dave Van Ronk supps would be a given.

flyonthewall2983

#130 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:47 pm

Risking a possible ban here, but wouldn't it be funny if it was some other film with that same image?

Swift

#131 Post by Swift » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Movie-Brat

#132 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:26 pm

You know what's funny? I considered getting Inside Llweyn Davis for my birthday so I guess this is an early (or technically late since it's likely being released later this year) birthday gift for me. :)

Lowry_Sam

#133 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:32 am

Color me nonplussed. I can't believe we're getting another blu ray of this before The Man Who Wasn't There or Barton Fink.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#134 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:37 am

Perhaps it'll be released in the same month at Barton Fink - that thought definitely crossed my mind.

MongooseCmr

#135 Post by MongooseCmr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:36 pm

I would seriously bet on Barton Fink showing up in this months announcements.

Finch

#136 Post by Finch » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 am

I won't be upgrading either unless it's stacked to the hilt and is a 4k transfer. Frankly, I'd have preferred a Man Who Wasn't There Blu-Ray too.

dwk

#137 Post by dwk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 pm

DVD Talk reviewer Tyler Foster posted at the Blu-ray.com forums that he was told that the Coen brothers stopped by Criterion last year when Criterion were in discussions with MGM/Fox about Blood Simple (unfortunately MGM/Fox wanted too much money and the deal fell apart.) So, it could be that they got along with the Coens and wanted to work with them and this was their first chance. (Other than the New Year's Day drawing from 2013, has there been any other sign Criterion has Barton Fink?)

Jeff

#138 Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

dwk wrote:Other than the New Year's Day drawing from 2013, has there been any other sign Criterion has Barton Fink?
Joel Coen had a phantom page prior to the Barton Fink New Year's clue. It was also speculated that Criterion might have grabbed it when MGM/Fox released a Blu-ray box of their other four Coen films but inexplicably omitted Fink.

copen

#139 Post by copen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:56 pm

There seems to be a fairly good argument for this being a somewhat circular plot, in that the first scene really is the first scene (bar/alley behind bar), and the last scene (bar/alley behind bar) really is the last scene rather than just a repeat of the first scene. I know that the conversations in them are slightly different, and next time I'll check if the bar owner is wearing the same clothes in both of these bar scenes.

Am not sure about the 1963(?) movie poster that he stares at for a long time, and dylan writing that tune in 1963(?) being points that support the circular argument. The Coens didn't seem to care about music from the 1970's being included in A Serious Man, which was set in the late 1960's.

hearthesilence

#140 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm

copen wrote:Am not sure about the 1963(?) movie poster that he stares at for a long time, and dylan writing that tune in 1963(?) being points that support the circular argument. The Coens didn't seem to care about music from the 1970's being included in A Serious Man, which was set in the late 1960's.
Exactly. There are other discrepancies as well (at one point, someone sings a Tom Paxton song that didn't exist yet). The Coens just don't care that much about temporal continuity.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#141 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I definitely think the first scene is just a prefiguring of the last one. The dialog is more complete in the final scene, but it is the same assailant, saying pretty much the same stuff.

Roger Ryan

#142 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:40 pm

copen wrote: ...The Coens didn't seem to care about music from the 1970's being included in A Serious Man, which was set in the late 1960's.
I'm convinced that the intent of the Columbia Record Club salesman announcing the future releases of Santana's ABRAXAS and CCR's COSMO'S FACTORY is to suggest he is some kind of seer (which fits in with the rest of the film's biblical allusions). There's little reason to make anachronistic references to specific albums otherwise, especially when the Jefferson Airplane songs actually heard on the soundtrack are period-appropriate (as are the other pop culture references).

As for Inside Llewyn Davis, I can more easily see them lifting songs from a couple years later if they thought the songs would fit the mood - after all, you know what the lead character says about folk songs.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#143 Post by swo17 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:44 pm

SpoilerShow
Llewyn is living in a timeloop even as the world around him ages. Using this logic, anachronisms are impossible.

copen

#144 Post by copen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:53 pm

In A Serious Man, the Hendrix song that plays during the dentist visit is from 1/1/70 fillmore east, nyc (2nd show, to be exact).

This seems to be the most logical and simple solution to Inside Llewyn Davis' beginning and end scenes.
from https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... wyn_davis/
The first scene of the movie is the last scene of the movie, just shown beforehand.
Knowing this, the real first scene chronologically is when he wakes up in the Gorfeins and the cat escapes. At the end of the movie when he wakes up at the Gorfiens and stops the cat, it's a separate instance that only mirrors the first instance.
Of course, the problem of slight differences in the dialogue between the two bar scenes still exists.
I like this movie more every time i see it.

copen

#145 Post by copen » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:37 pm

For what it's worth, I checked, and in the opening scene, the bar owner wears a red shirt, and in next to last scene of the film, before Davis goes out into the alley, the bar owner is wearing a black shirt. so these two are not the same scene edited differently. they're 2 different occasions.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#146 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 pm

Maybe the first time is a premonitory nightmare...

;-)

Roger Ryan

#147 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 am

copen wrote:In A Serious Man, the Hendrix song that plays during the dentist visit is from 1/1/70 fillmore east, nyc (2nd show, to be exact)...
But isn't this music non-diegetic? I would hold that to a different standard than music being listened to or performed (or spoken about) by the film's characters themselves. If the Hendrix track is being piped into the dentist office (I don't recall and don't have the disc readily at-hand) then it could be an intentional acknowledgment that the Larry Gopnik of 1967 is receiving premonitions from three years hence (the Santana and CCR albums were both released in 1970 as well).

copen

#148 Post by copen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 am

Roger Ryan wrote:
copen wrote:In A Serious Man, the Hendrix song that plays during the dentist visit is from 1/1/70 fillmore east, nyc (2nd show, to be exact)...
But isn't this music non-diegetic?
yes, you're right.

solaris72

#149 Post by solaris72 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:49 pm

copen wrote:For what it's worth, I checked, and in the opening scene, the bar owner wears a red shirt, and in next to last scene of the film, before Davis goes out into the alley, the bar owner is wearing a black shirt. so these two are not the same scene edited differently. they're 2 different occasions.
Where're you seeing a black shirt?

Red shirt at 0:04:03
http://i.imgur.com/o5SYucO.jpg

Red shirt at 1:37:18
http://i.imgur.com/E7I976P.jpg

copen

#150 Post by copen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 pm

solaris72 wrote:
copen wrote:For what it's worth, I checked, and in the opening scene, the bar owner wears a red shirt, and in next to last scene of the film, before Davis goes out into the alley, the bar owner is wearing a black shirt. so these two are not the same scene edited differently. they're 2 different occasions.
Where're you seeing a black shirt?

Red shirt at 0:04:03
http://i.imgur.com/o5SYucO.jpg

Red shirt at 1:37:18
http://i.imgur.com/E7I976P.jpg

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong scene, the one at 1h28m. i give up.