91 The Blob

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
zeroman987

Re: 91 The Blob

#26 Post by zeroman987 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:46 pm

aox wrote:Jeffrey Wells is having a weird meltdown over this release.

I guess this could also go into the "Why won't they release what I want them to release thread."
I got a kick out of that in the same way I love watching children having temper tantrums in the grocery store.

Gregory

#27 Post by Gregory » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:26 pm

It's even worse than "Why won't they release only what I want" because he's passing himself off as an authority on the business but doesn't seem to get that a lot of people want the Blob on blu-ray. Even though Steve McQueen wasn't a legit teenager, go figure! I mean...

movielocke

#28 Post by movielocke » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:46 am

after five bergman films (and the first episode of scenes from a marriage). I saw this on the filmstruck page and figured, "now that's the perfect change of pace."

it certainly was a change of pace. I've never seen it, but I somehow knew that cold would be how they defeated it--cultural zeitgeist, I suppose.

the film is stunning in how bad the acting, writing, and lighting/cinematography is. The pacing is terrible--but this seems to be a function of the overly talky script--as the film seems reasonably well edited ("tense" and exciting) for the parts of the film that are set pieces. On the other hand, I kind of love the script for its crazy sincerity and focus on the idea that everyone thinks "those darn kids" are crazy and/or playing a prank, it's a shame the script is so poor.

It's very fun, quite bad movie that is very charming from beginning to end.

I saw it was double-featuring with Equinox, and I may have to check that one out after the next batch of Bergman.