712 Scanners

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Criterion and the films on them. If it's got a spine number, it's in here. Threads may contain spoilers.
Adam Grikepelis

Re: 712 Scanners

#51 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:23 am

Maybe the use of "needless" was a little careless, but it is yet another case of people on the internet freaking out over a couple of screen cap's without having seen the actual disc for themselves. It's just getting a bit boring, to be honest.

Palander

#52 Post by Palander » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:09 pm

There's a bit of a row going on a caps-a-holic comparing the criterion to the
German Subkulture release. Interesting to compare screenshots (usual
caveats...) I'd be inclined to side with Germany. Have they won the Scanners
release battle as well as the world cup?
You can join in the melee and analyse here

matrixschmatrix

#53 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:22 am

Just saw this- it feels very much a piece with early Cronenberg, and also brought to mind a bunch of De Palma films, The Fury particularly but also Sisters and Carrie- and it worked really well for me. The score drives it, more than anything, with the nails on the chalkboard quality that keeps you feeling off kilter for nearly the whole film, and the performances mostly feel appropriate, however good or bad they are in an objective sense. I can see where it borders on camp (the faces people make when scanning are consistently amusing) but it's got that bad dream feeling where a sense of silliness just makes it more upsetting to me- and it's got that thing Cronenberg did for quite a while, where everyone is dressed terribly and balding and looks like a normal, ugly person, which likewise makes all of the ugliness pop that much more strongly. It's not necessarily a resonant masterpiece- which I would say The Fly and Videodrome are, if nothing else- but it was pretty well what I was hoping it would be, and I'm happy to have it.

As far as resonance goes, I don't know how intentional it is, but there seems to be a strong sexual metaphor to scanning in a couple of places- the forced scanning feels like a rape in several places, a body taken against its will, and the scene of mutual, consensual scanning has a sexual charge that helps it feel like an oasis in the sea of horrors. It's something that would be distasteful (imagine that, distasteful content in this movie!) if stressed too highly, but I feel like having it hanging around in the unspoken level gives the living nightmare of being a scanner a real world quality, if only tangentially.

Ironside's forehead wound kept looking like a nasty case of ringworm to me, though.

Adam Grikepelis

#54 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 am

Whether always explicitly intentional or not, that element of (sexual) physicality was very much a part of Cronenberg's work up to and including eXistenZ, if not to a lessening degree in his more recent work as well. It's part of what makes his films so captivating to me, his continuing exploration of the intertwined mental and physical aspects of human nature. I think it's also what gives his more overtly genre-based early work an edge not often matched.

I remember reading in Cronenberg on Cronenberg about a discussion he had with an audience member after a screening (of Stereo or Crimes of the Future I think), where they were convinced due to the film's sexually polymorphous vibe that Cronenberg was gay, despite him stating otherwise.
Last edited by Adam Grikepelis on Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Grikepelis

#55 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:57 am

Does anyone remember if there was anything other than wishful thinking to suggest Criterion may've nabbed the rights to Shivers & Rabid along with his other early films?

colinr0380

#56 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:29 am

swo17

#57 Post by swo17 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:41 pm

Reeniop41

#58 Post by Reeniop41 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm

I still kind of miss the Dual Format era!

ryanvision

#59 Post by ryanvision » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Reeniop41 wrote:
I still kind of miss the Dual Format era!
I did find that dislike a bit puzzling after hearing about it. I came into criterion only a few years ago, after the dual-format aspect was already dropped and I remember thinking. well why did they do that? Then I heard about how unfavored it was as an option. I presume an extra disc for bluray enthusiasts was unnecessary and perhaps it increased the cost, but it would seem to forgo a lot of issues related to version availability.

well, it's nice to see Scanners pop up. Scanners still has potentially my all-time favorite Criterion cover. It suits the film's aesthetics wonderfully.

Though a freeze frame of the head explosion would be just as fitting.

Robespierre

#60 Post by Robespierre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:41 pm

I love the packaging of this one so I'm not sure how it'll fare as just a normal scanovo case unless they make it a digipak.

jazzo

#61 Post by jazzo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 am

Agreed. The design on this disc is stunning. Here’s a little treat, well worth the three seconds of your time http://68.media.tumblr.com/a94396dfc04b ... 1_1280.gif

Incidentally, artist Connor Willumsen’s comic book, Anti-Gone, was one of my favourite books from 2017. Here’s a fascinating interview with him conducted by Dash Shaw for the Comics Journal:
http://www.tcj.com/connor-willumsen-on-anti-gone/.

Enjoy.

Robespierre

#62 Post by Robespierre » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 am

Very nice. Thanks for sharing that!